Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
THE MIRACLE OF PHOTOSYNTHESIS
11-26-2009, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2009 03:43 AM by derprinz.)
THE MIRACLE OF PHOTOSYNTHESIS
"And [I swear] by the night when it draws in, and by the dawn when it breathes in." (Qur'an, 81:17-18)

The term "itha tanaffasa" in Surat at-Takwir, in reference to the morning hours, in other words, "when it breathes in", is a metaphorical reference to breathing, respiration, or breathing deeply. This term particularly emphasises the way that the production of oxygen begins in the morning, and that the greatest levels of oxygen, essential for respiration, are given off at that time. The importance of the phenomena is also emphasised by the way that Allah swears upon it. The way that Allah indicates the action of photosynthesis, among the most important discoveries of the 20th century, in this verse, is another of the scientific miracles of the Qur'an.

The productivity of photosynthesis is measured by the level of oxygen output. The greatest point is in the morning, when the Sun's rays are most concentrated. At dawn, the leaves begin to sweat, and photosynthesis increases accordingly. In the afternoon, however, the opposite applies; in other words photosynthesis slows down, and respiration increases because as the temperature rises perspiration also increases. At night, as the temperature falls, perspiration declines and the plant rests.

Photosynthesis is the use by plants and sometimes by certain bacteria and single-cell life forms of the Sun’s rays in order to produce sugar (carbohydrate) from carbon dioxide and water. As a result of this reaction, the energy in the Sun’s rays is stored inside the sugar molecule produced. The following formula summarises the reaction that takes place during the process by which unusable solar energy is transformed into usable chemical energy:

6H2O + 6CO2 ---PHOTOSYNTHESIS---> C6H12O6+ 6O2

i wish i have more time to spend here on the forum
but ...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2009, 10:06 AM
RE: THE MIRACLE OF PHOTOSYNTHESIS
That's not what the quote says. This is blatant after-the-fact shoehorning, in a desperate attempt to find validation for unvalidated scriptures.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
11-26-2009, 12:02 PM
You got a problem there because plants don't breathe.

The person that is truly happy is not the one who gets everything they want, but the one who learns to be happy with what they have.
11-26-2009, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2009 02:44 PM by derprinz.)
When the “dawn breaks” as described in the verse, light shines and oxygen, the sine qua non of respiration, begins to be given out by plants. This makes clear the reason of juxtaposition of words “breathe” and “dawn” in the verse.
Had God not created the various requirements for photosynthesis, such as, for instance, the chlorophyll necessary for the plants’ realization of photosynthesis, not a single organism would survive.

but ...
11-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Quote:And [I swear] by the night when it draws in, and by the dawn when it breathes in.
(Qur'an, 81:17-18)

The point I was trying to make is that this is such a vague quote, it could mean anything. It does not even mention plants. I don't know the context, but it sounds like it is just talking about day and night using the metaphor of breathing.

The person that is truly happy is not the one who gets everything they want, but the one who learns to be happy with what they have.
11-26-2009, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2009 03:22 PM by derprinz.)
(11-26-2009 02:58 PM)Satanicbitch Wrote:  
Quote:And [I swear] by the night when it draws in, and by the dawn when it breathes in.
(Qur'an, 81:17-18)

The point I was trying to make is that this is such a vague quote, it could mean anything. It does not even mention plants. I don't know the context, but it sounds like it is just talking about day and night using the metaphor of breathing.

"...the dawn when it breathes..."

but ...
11-26-2009, 08:45 PM
You know, it's amazing how you are defeated by simple research.

Let's actually quote 81:18. All of it, not just your part.

Quote:And the Dawn as it breathes away the darkness

Waaaaaaaait a second. "Breathes away the darkness?" That's not talking about plants! Plants don't breathe away the darkness. No, it's clearly a metaphor, talking about the dawn itself breathing away the dark of the previous night.

You'd think you would know your own holy book better than that.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
11-27-2009, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2009 02:47 AM by derprinz.)
(11-26-2009 08:45 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  You know, it's amazing how you are defeated by simple research.

Let's actually quote 81:18. All of it, not just your part.

Quote:And the Dawn as it breathes away the darkness

Waaaaaaaait a second. "Breathes away the darkness?" That's not talking about plants! Plants don't breathe away the darkness. No, it's clearly a metaphor, talking about the dawn itself breathing away the dark of the previous night.

You'd think you would know your own holy book better than that.

where did you get the translation from !!!
that's a totally wrong translation of the verse
even in google i didn't find it
what is amazing in quran is that it's preserved in it's original language
the verse in arabic is "والصبح اذا تنفس" (Wessubhı iza teneffese. )
Wessubhi = and by the dawn (والصبح )
iza = when (اذا)
teneffese=breathe (تنفس)

but ...
11-27-2009, 03:17 AM
That's from Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation.

Rashad Khalifa quoted it as you did, however in context it obviously means the same thing. As seen:

Quote:I solemnly swear by the galaxies precisely running in their orbits, by the night as it falls, and the morn as it breathes, this is the utterance of an honorable messenger.

In other words, it's just a bit of hyperbole. As can be seen by the previous Sura, "by the night as it falls," it refers to the night. Likewise, "it" refers to the morn.

Mushin Khan translates it as "And the dawn as it brightens".

As you can see, any belief that it has to do with photosynthesis is just specious and shows a shocking lack of knowledge about the text involved.

11-27-2009, 11:21 AM
(11-26-2009 03:22 PM)derprinz Wrote:  "...the dawn when it breathes..."

Yeah, I know, I can read. Repeating the same vague quote will not help anythign. There is still no mention of plants, and nothing that is specific enough to be considered a description of photosynthesis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Miracle of ZamZam Water islamhome 3 685 07-23-2014 08:42 PM
Last Post: KAYSER
  miracle of fingerprint derprinz 5 2,224 01-14-2010 01:07 AM
Last Post: derprinz
  THE MIRACLE OF IRON derprinz 2 878 11-22-2009 10:38 PM
Last Post: Parousia
Exclamation The Miracle In The Ant- Amazing Video ahmetsecer 0 662 08-17-2008 09:56 AM
Last Post: ahmetsecer

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)