Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Temples, churches etc.
11-16-2015, 03:06 AM
RE: Temples, churches etc.
(11-15-2015 06:10 AM)hioni Wrote:  Wiccan Altars are pretty! Smile

I think Wiccan Altars are kind of personal, I hesitate to post pictures of Wiccan Altars that I find on the web :-/

I do not think they would mind, if they did they would not have put them there Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2015, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2015 03:05 PM by hioni.)
I found this beautiful Wiccan Altar on Google Images. I hope the owner won't mind posting it here. If it's against the rules tell me to remove the picture!

[Image: wiccanaltar.jpg]

Maya Devi Temple, Lumbini
[Image: Maya_Devi_Lumbini.jpg]
11-23-2015, 04:07 AM
Strange, most Wiccans use both a black handled dagger or sword for energy work called an Athame and a white handled knife for cutting and preparing herbs called a Boline on the altar.

This is an unusual one, but still beautiful.
11-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Duomo di Torino, Italy
[Image: Duomo_Torino.jpg]
08-02-2017, 09:24 AM
I saw this recently, very beautiful. It's the Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi in Santa Fe.

[Image: Santa%2BFe%2B4.jpg]

[Image: cathedral-basilica-of-saint-francis-of-a...E6BPG8.jpg]

The side altar with La Conquistadora centre top.

[Image: side-alter.jpg]
08-02-2017, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2017 12:07 PM by Visqueen.)
I also went to Taos Pueblo, this is the northern house in the pueblo. There is a southern house and then assorted single level adobe structures round about. Outsiders are not allowed to see the kiva and the residents guard both their territory and faith system closely. I was there on a feast day so was able to witness a procession and dance which is not done to entertain tourists but is a very real and live part of their faith system.

[Image: 23386159.jpg]

This is the new church, St. Jerome:

[Image: JA11StJeromesChurchPD.jpg]

and part of the interior:

[Image: inside-st-jerome-church.jpg]

This is what's left of the old church, San Geronimo, destroyed for good in 1846 by cannon and then fire deliberately set by American troops and volunteers as part of the American Mexican war. The church happened to be sheltering many people at the time, all of whom died. It may not be clear in this picture but there are many crosses inside the ruins as well as out marking the people who died in its destruction. It had previously gone through several bouts of destruction due to the reaction of indigenous peoples to the forced intrusion by the RC church and their attempts to suppress traditional religious practises.

[Image: Pueblo_ruin_JW.jpg]
08-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Cool photos, Visqueen. One thing that no one can besmirch Christianity on is its influence on art and the results of that impetus. Smile

08-04-2017, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 02:29 PM by Imprecise Interrupt.)
Not amazing architecture, but this is the church of my youth.

That is the priest’s house behind the sign
It was originally the home of the family that owned the property

[Image: DSC_0045.jpg]

The church from the street.
This is not the original church but was built 1924-1926.
The statue is St. Pancras

[Image: StPancrasExt.jpg]

The hanging lights used to be pointy things

[Image: DSC_0016.jpg]

Look at the ceiling

[Image: St.%20Pancras%20Xmas%20Steve%20Playing%20Daylight.JPG]

That is St. Pancras behind the altar
You cannot see it in this picture but there are Romans thugs sneaking up behind him

[Image: DSC_0040.jpg]

Not very much is known about St. Pancras. He was supposedly beheaded in Rome during the Diocletian persecution. What the nuns told us was that he was a teenager who smuggled the Eucharist to Christians who were in hiding but he got caught. In the early 1960s, there was a purge of Catholic saints whose actual existence was not well documented. St. Pancras squeaked by. Rumor had it that one factor in the decision was the cantankerous old pastor of St. Pancras, who had saved the parish from bankruptcy during the Depression and built a large school in the 1950s all by rounding up private donations, said he was not going to spend a penny replacing the picture and the statue. Smile Doubtful, but knowing him it was almost a believable story.

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hindu Temples Around the World Ancient and New Generation .... wisdom007 19 42,387 11-12-2013 06:55 AM
Last Post: Procopio
  Christian Churches and Catholic Cathedrals Zagreus 4 2,441 12-23-2009 02:41 AM
Last Post: wisdom007

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)