Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ten "commandments" = ten categories of mitzvot?
07-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Ten "commandments" = ten categories of mitzvot?
There's a website I stumbled upon several weeks ago that said that there was never such a thing as the "ten commandments" being separate from an "added" Jewish set of laws in the Tanakh, but rather that the Decalogue were ten sayings, and they in turn summed up the 613 mitzvot in categorical form.

When reading what this site was saying, I felt it made a lot of sense for me as a Christian trying to make sense of the Tanakh. And I like it.

But I never heard this before. Can I get some affirmation or additional explanation about this?

The site is:

http://www.jewfaq.org/10.htm

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2013, 06:55 AM
RE: Ten "commandments" = ten categories of mitzvot?
the site you mention does present one understanding of the 10 Statements -- we don't consider them to be 10 commandments in the sense that they are somehow distinct from all the rest of the commandments. So why were they the 10 listed on the tablets? Because of how they encompass such deeper ideas and are entrees to the rest of the commandments. But that doesn't mean that they lose their own value as statements of law. So they ARE "commandments" and they fit in to our list of 613 http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm but they are not any more commandments than any of the others so, as the concluding paragraph of the page you listed mentions, we try not to isolate them as being unique in any sense.
07-18-2013, 08:25 PM
It is also believe that the 10 commandments were just one utterance heard in an instance by all Yisra'el. This is why they thought they were going to die because of the intense magnitude of this utterance. The text in exodus 20 is what they heard but not what they experienced because it is impossible to write. They are part of the 613 Mitzvot and all the other Mitzvot can branch off these 10.

"Torah's food for my brain let it rain til I drown, thunder, let the blessings come down!"
07-21-2013, 05:38 PM
(07-21-2013 05:26 PM)Yefet Wrote:  I had this on mind this week while studying this past weeks Parshah, and how one could understand how a part is included and is no less or more important than the whole, it is more like life itself than most realize, or take from it, Devarim is a summary of the forty years in the desert with a few new twists added to it, say you learn a subject in school on the elementary level it will always be there when you take a college coarse in something. The college coarse is nothing more then the extend version of the elementary subject the small amount of knowledge becomes the larger amount or extended version or Devarim later on.
Its how we advance,we take everything we got from the desert stage of our lives and add to it, or prepare for the next stage or the land of Israel, in other words one commandment is no more important then the other, each little bit of knowledge or insight that we got in the desert is just a part of the whole land of Israel , one concept or sefirot always contains the other nine

Does the Oral Torah present a deeper understanding of the Torah(Old Testament)?

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-21-2013, 06:17 PM
(07-21-2013 05:38 PM)Azrael17 Wrote:  
(07-21-2013 05:26 PM)Yefet Wrote:  I had this on mind this week while studying this past weeks Parshah, and how one could understand how a part is included and is no less or more important than the whole, it is more like life itself than most realize, or take from it, Devarim is a summary of the forty years in the desert with a few new twists added to it, say you learn a subject in school on the elementary level it will always be there when you take a college coarse in something. The college coarse is nothing more then the extend version of the elementary subject the small amount of knowledge becomes the larger amount or extended version or Devarim later on.
Its how we advance,we take everything we got from the desert stage of our lives and add to it, or prepare for the next stage or the land of Israel, in other words one commandment is no more important then the other, each little bit of knowledge or insight that we got in the desert is just a part of the whole land of Israel , one concept or sefirot always contains the other nine

They work together. The written Torah is what all is based off of and the oral law helps to understand what it means. An example is the mitzvah to refrain from work on Shabbos but how does one define work its different to each individual, that's where the oral Torah comes in and clarifies what work is. Yefet is talking about the written Torah when discussing Devarim (Deuteronomy ). Devarim is a summed up teaching of the rest of the Torah taught by The words of Moseh Rabanu written down.

"Torah's food for my brain let it rain til I drown, thunder, let the blessings come down!"
07-21-2013, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2013 06:30 PM by Yefet.)
This is going to be rather lengthy but I will explain it as explained to me
there is a story in Yiddish about a man who worked very hard to send his son to school, about a month or so the son sent a letter home to his father who cannot read so his father found a man close by but his reading skills are not the best but he read it to him any way, the son wrote that he found a place to live that he could afford but it was far away and had to take a bus everyday and how busy he was with his studies ect, and ended the letter with Tatteh, shik gelt and any Yidden knows these words Father send money!! The man got mad about how ungrateful the son was or his son's chutzpah he then showed the letter to the Rabbi who read it the way it was intended as a normal conversation a son would have with his father
He could not understand how the first man read it as an insult but when the Rabbi read it, it was a different meaning all togeather
the point is all Oral Torah is in the Written Torah. the Rabbi's just adds another dimension to it, a better understanding and makes it more meaningful
An example today I read in a different thread about No more death on planet earth for mankind and Isaiah 25 v 8 was quoted as the source, well, I remember my father going over this with me and explaining that Meesah Mikrees that this verse was talking about is chance death or unnatural death because it says that Hebrews will no longer be victims to other nations like they are in exile it says nothing at all about death ending,or living for a thousand yrs or some such poppycock, that's just silly but it is how someone without knowledge of these things may and do interpret it, it said no such thing they are claiming
07-21-2013, 06:26 PM
(07-21-2013 06:17 PM)kadosh7 Wrote:  
(07-21-2013 05:38 PM)Azrael17 Wrote:  

They work together. The written Torah is what all is based off of and the oral law helps to understand what it means. An example is the mitzvah to refrain from work on Shabbos but how does one define work its different to each individual, that's where the oral Torah comes in and clarifies what work is. Yefet is talking about the written Torah when discussing Devarim (Deuteronomy ). Devarim is a summed up teaching of the rest of the Torah taught by The words of Moseh Rabanu written down.

How did the written Torah come to exists?
Is there a date of it's origin?

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Yefet Wrote:An example today I read in a different thread about No more death on planet earth for mankind and Isaiah 25 v 8 was quoted as the source, well, I remember my father going over this with me and explaining that Meesah Mikrees that this verse was talking about is chance death or unnatural death because it says that Hebrews will no longer be victims to other nations like in exile it says nothing at all about natural death ending,or living for a thousand yrs or some such poppycock, that's just silly but it is how someone without knowledge of these things may and do interpret it, it said no such thing they are claiming

The New Testament calls Jesus a rabbi. He is Christianity's rabbi, and his apostles were his rabbinical successors. They even ordained their own successors by semikhah, or the laying on of hands.

Christianity believes in immortality and the Millennium because of our rabbis, the apostles and Jesus of Nazareth. For us Jesus was a prophetic rabbi, and so were the apostles, which means these men were more than just receiving tradition from older generations, they got it straight from God like the old prophets did.

By the way Yefet, in saying this I am not arguing against Judaism, but stating what Christians believe to compare. I say this because you've moved my threads out of the religion sections several times so I want to be cautious this time (:

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
07-21-2013, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2013 07:06 PM by Yefet.)
and yet it dosent stop you from injecting christian idea's into the Jewish forum
How is this relevant to Judaism in any way shape or form ?
I know its your believes, and that's all fine and dandy but it is not according to Judaism , so it is called arguing against Judaism as far as the rules of the religions of the world threads go.
In other words I cannot go into the christian forum and proclaim Jesus is a false Messiah, My Jewish Ideas do not belong there and add nothing to Christians discussing their religion
If you guys want to drop this rule its fine with me, its more trouble than what its worth because there just is not enough members of any faith to justify it, so say the word and we will e-mail the owner requesting it be removed
07-21-2013, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2013 07:49 PM by Azrael17.)
I actually like the rule.

But I agree with Sats idea that there should be a section set aside for debates.
If there was a debate section we could have a Was Jesus the Messiah debate and it might actually do us some good.

But right now I want to learn about Judaism not talk about Jesus, this section is not the place to talk about Christianity.

Edit: "I don't believe Shiver means any harm, I think that once a person injects beliefs from another faith into a thread which is in the "religion of the world section" that then that thread should be moved into the general section just in case a debate emerges. Of course I am not a mod so my opinion probably doesn't matter but I thought Id add it."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  613 commandments Yefet 11 2,756 09-25-2011 04:38 PM
Last Post: Mohammed32

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)