Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Afterlife: The Unfair
07-19-2010, 02:32 AM
The Afterlife: The Unfair
Lately religion has terrified me, it seems i'm looking at it in a way no one else has. Just scroll down to see my point of view.

Immagine this scenario.

A child is born, raised to believe a religion, years later another religion is mentioned to him. Two things could happen. The child would think "oh that sounds silly, they are going to be punished in the next life, glad I'm not one of them." Where on the other side of the world where the scenario is flipped, the child would think the same thing.

Or. They would think. "Wait, theres more religions? Well how do I know wich one is correct, there can only be one true religion." That child could walk the face of the earth trying to find the correct religion for the rest of his life, but would not have a difinitive answer. I know, its all about free will to accept that one true religion, but if somone just wants to be accepted into the next life without being mercifully tortured or be a rock, all it is is taking a stab in the dark, or accepting what you learned as a child. Even if you do find a religion that "suits" you, its more based on personal reasons, not wich is correct.

Why is being a great fiendly person willing to accept a higher form of being created all not good enough? When faced with all theese religions, & taking that stab in the dark, I mean, if somone isnt opposed to any religion, & is willing to accept, why is this not enough? It's like being lead through a twisted terrifying maze & if you dont find the correct exit you are brutally tortured. You want to get the right exit, deeply, truely, but you just do not know, can you realy be blamed for this?

Anyone can make up scientific theories to wich god is correct, but you still cannot know for sure. I feel like i'm dreadfully walking throgh life, waiting untill my body depletes of energy, only to find that the exit ive taken is going to be wrong. Then the eternity of pain & suffering can take place.

Does no one agree with me? Does nothing ive said make sense? I'm truely lost & its killing me every day. I'm watching for signs, but I have seen none. May whatever God exist have pitty on my soul.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2010, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2010 03:31 AM by Venedi.)
RE: The Afterlife: The Unfair
The only real religions I can think of that prescribe an eternal punishment for believing in something else are Christianity and Islam. Judaism doesn't really have a hell, Zoroastrianism believes in eventual reconciliation of all souls with Ahura Mazda, the creator. Greeks, the Norse, and loads of others believed in a nasty place for bad people, but they were more concerned with people who committed significant transgressions in life, rather than unbelievers. The Egyptians thought your heart would be weighed to see if it was heavier than "truth", and there's no way to just "convert" to having a better heart. Greco-Roman mystery religion initiates believed that only initiates who went through secret purifying rituals would be guarded from pains in the afterlife, but Christianity wiped them out, and they took their "mysteries" with them to the grave. Hinduism has specific temporary punishments for specific crimes, but since you keep getting reincarnated, you'll end up somewhere good eventually. Buddhism isn't about afterlife at all. I think that about covers everything.

Of course, if an eternal hell for unbelievers is real, it's probably either an Islamic hell full of Zaqqum-fruit, or a blazing Christian hell, so if your only concern is to hedge your bets, choosing Islam or Christianity is the way to go- odds 50/50.

I think this is a time to break out a quote from the Philosopher/ Emperor Marcus Aurelius that impressed me an awful lot;

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
07-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Well that definately helps, knowing that not every god will be there to punish you had you made the wrong decision. Ive been told that in order to proceed into heaven you have to have complete & utter faith in christianity, then somone else comes along & sais all you need is to be a nice person. Somtimes it can be confusing.

Thanks for the help Smile
07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Then choose Buddhism, the afterlife isn't a concern, rather the Buddha taught a method to end suffering once and for all in this life.

There are of course schools of Buddhism which include a concept of afterlife, but they aren't the only ones.

The greatest strength is in resisting provocation.
07-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Screw it. If God is that pissy that you get damned for worshipping the wrong religion, at least you can get beer and play poker in Hell.

make a wish: http://www.real-wishes.com
07-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Is that a PROMISE..........lol........Big Grin

????????????????
07-26-2010, 10:33 PM
To be honest I am sort of hoping to go to hell anyway. White does not look good on me, and I love hot weather and sodomy!

But seriously, I think most gods are pretty forgiving of you. Just avoid killing people, and maybe give to charity once in a while to be safe.
07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Well, yeah. And you can eat soul food and listen to soul music.
(I made a funny). xD

07-27-2010, 01:45 AM
There is undeniable scientific evidence today for the afterlife. ... High profile closed-minded skeptics have been given unfair license by the media,This book tackles the sometimes-taboo subject of death and the afterlife. ... Many have argued that it is unfair that a good God should send people to hell.

I like Christian Louboutin,it is so cheap and practical
07-27-2010, 01:47 AM
There is a lot of deniable evidence for an afterlife. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a complete idiot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is there an afterlife after we die? Brother Rando 37 1,053 05-28-2017 04:53 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  What are the views of an atheist about the afterlife TheAnimeNerd 56 4,947 10-11-2015 11:00 AM
Last Post: daemon
  Ramadan Is Unfair or Impossible for Polar Muslims Steveh 65 7,282 02-04-2015 10:38 PM
Last Post: EricWhitfield
  The Afterlife: A Question to Pagans and Abrahamists Achrelos 293 10,938 12-23-2013 10:52 AM
Last Post: Huitaca
  Is God "Fair" or "Unfair?" whirlwind 193 16,184 08-09-2013 12:59 PM
Last Post: LightBender
  The Conundrum of Altruism, God, and the afterlife StarStuff 5 1,147 05-26-2011 07:20 PM
Last Post: julianpenrod

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)