Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Book of Mary
02-01-2009, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2009 03:42 PM by God Rocks.)
The Book of Mary
Is it true there is a gospel according to Maria Magdalena? I saw it *Link removed - Spam*
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2009, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2009 03:52 PM by God Rocks.)
RE: The Book of Mary
(02-01-2009 01:13 PM)alfrejacobs Wrote:  Is it true there is a gospel according to Maria Magdalena? I saw it *Link removed - Spam*.

There is an apocryphal text referred to as the Gospel of Mary. But its authorship, content, and meaning are controversial; the existing fragments are very short.

It is often referred to as a Gnostic text, though it doesn't necessarily have to be interpreted as such.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
03-22-2009, 12:19 AM
2 things -
1) It's not an apocryphal text. The apochrypha all contain "old testament" texts.
2) It is not canon and it is not inspired by God.
03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Paul, could you get a signature or something that says, "The views expressed in this post represents the views of mainstream Christianity, and may or may not apply to all Christian sects or non-Christian faiths"? I would really appreciate it.

Though I'd agree the Gospel of Mary isn't inspired by God. Though to be fair, I don't think the Gospel of Matthew is either. Or the rest of them. Or the Bible.
03-23-2009, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2009 01:36 PM by Annolennar.)
(03-22-2009 12:19 AM)Paul.A Wrote:  2 things -
1) It's not an apocryphal text. The apochrypha all contain "old testament" texts.
2) It is not canon and it is not inspired by God.

Partially correct. Smile Any spiritual writings that fall into a given tradition but fall outside the established canon are apocryphal.

What you're thinking of are the deuterocanonical books, but that term is not synonymous with apocryphal.

But you are correct on the point that it is not part of the canon.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
03-26-2009, 01:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2009 01:56 AM by Paul.A.)
(03-23-2009 10:00 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Paul, could you get a signature or something that says, "The views expressed in this post represents the views of mainstream Christianity, and may or may not apply to all Christian sects or non-Christian faiths"?

that was funny. Big Grin

i didn't know i was mainstreem...im just a follower of Christ.
(03-23-2009 01:15 PM)Annolennar Wrote:  Partially correct. Smile Any spiritual writings that fall into a given tradition but fall outside the established canon are apocryphal.

What you're thinking of are the deuterocanonical books, but that term is not synonymous with apocryphal.

But you are correct on the point that it is not part of the canon.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am just used to considering those (13 or 16) books that make up the deuterocanonical books being called the Apochrypha rather than any uninspired text being apochryphal.
03-26-2009, 03:14 AM
I thought you were mainstream when you wrote that. Now I think you're fundamentalist, which is fine, just use that brain and eventually you'll get better, I did. But seriously, I get this crazy urge to correct you almost every time you post, and just remind you that lots of people in your own religion don't agree with you. It's just when you post things like "It is not canon and not inspired by God." The truth is, you have no idea. You BELIEVE it is not canon and not inspired by God. Not everyone shares your beliefs. Though with that one you're pretty much right in line with most Christians (and all atheists, since we don't believe any of it is divinely inspired).

And we're right back to one of the big reasons why I'm an atheist, because there's so many conflicting beliefs of equal merit that the most likely explanation is all of them are wrong. Ah, symmetry.
03-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Please....follow that urge. If I need correcting, then I am open to it. You where never a fundamentalist though.....you maybe had a head knowledge of Christ (which you still do) but you never submitted to Him. Your logic as to why atheism is your "choice" of belief is illogical though. A more logical stance based on the facts you gave would be to say that all religions lead to God, rather than God doesn't exist. The truth is, is that you are bitter for some reason and mad at God. That's just my psychoanalysis of you which was not asked for. Smile
03-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I actually owe you an apology, when you first started posting I thought you were a troll, just posting fundamentalist crap like some of the others here, but after some of our longer debates I realize you've actually thought about this, and backed up your arguments. I still think you're wrong and I hope to prove it, but at least you're thinking about it. So . . . sorry for thinking you were a troll.

And I'm not bitter at God, really. I don't believe in God, so it would be silly to be bitter about him. It's hard sometimes not to be bitter at Christians, because my life has been made significantly more difficult by their presence. And I'm certain the fine people here would be quick to say that the Christians I've had to deal with are aberrations, and not all Christians are like that . . . but I'm smack-dab in the bible belt, home of lunatic fundamentalist Christianity, and I honestly don't believe that anymore. I think the intelligent Christians are the exception to the rule.

I try very hard not to be bitter, because bitterness gets me nowhere. Instead I try to share my experiences in the hopes of learning more, and in helping others learn more. But it's difficult sometimes, I'll admit, not to be bitter against a religion that has done so much to destroy the world I live in, the country I love, and my own personal life.
03-26-2009, 11:45 PM
No offense taken Gtseng3. I know what you mean about being bitter at Christians though. As you know, I used to be an Atheist but it was the actions of so called Christians that led me to think that Jesus Christ and the God of the bible was fabricated by man. You should move out of the bible belt.....maybe over to California where I am and then you can be surrounded by lunatic fundamentalist liberals!

Seriously though, if you are looking to people you will always be disapointed. Even the Apostle Paul let men down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mary and her sister Mary! Al Mansour 18 2,436 11-04-2011 09:06 AM
Last Post: Visqueen

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)