Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The God Concept
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011 05:27 PM by bushbaby.)
The God Concept
What is God?

Concept

God Is All That Is and All That Isn’t

God is That that should not be subject to examination because of its divinity.

The epistemology of God is closely linked to the philosophy of language and theories about sentience. This brings to play two important arguments:

1. Language – which is used to describe the concepts of God is questioned for its limitations given the fact that it was invented by us to describe a concept that is still our invention.
2. Sentience – This means that God is non-propositional realm whose veracity can’t be examined.

The inability to possess all the knowledge about sentience within the boundaries of a limited concept of language would essentially put God beyond the limitation of the human mind.

So what now…? Clearly the concept “God” is beyond our minds. This is the point some of our brothers can’t go passed (- some have even built a whole belief systems around the concept that “all can’t be known about God.”). There is only one thing that the consciousness could bring to the table to solve predicament……FAITH.

Conceptual considerations

The claim that God can’t be examined is different from that claiming God should be subject to examination. The later we have discussed a bit. The former appropriates a philosophical examination to the nature of God.

Let’s assume that God possesses a nature. At this point we can try to at least describe God using language (though appropriateness of meaning is still at stake) by questioning the existence, Can God be known, comprehended and REALIZED for that matter. Statements like “I have God in my heart” may represent that God is known to and comprehended by the faithful but the concept “God” is an axiomatic that requires no further intellectual intrusion.
Statements like The Universe Is God or The Universe Is the nature of God may throw a hint in the manifestation of God yet still suffocate from relevance of meaning by a limited mind especially that, that is satisfied by the physical illusion.

Concept

All in all, God is not God because man said so or because man put together three letters that would be associated with Thee. God was there in the beginning, Is now and ever shall Be time without end [Amen]. God can’t be defined in the human language, because “humanity” is just but a phase on the timeline of “beings”, but can only be realize in communion with God in a realm so divine to defy all limitation.

(07-23-2011 08:25 AM)rocketboy9000 Wrote:  I, personally, am against two types of gods: the fictional, and the unprovable.
The fictional gods, such as the Judeochristian one, are demonstrably invented by mankind. Their stories, such as the Bible, have been proved to be written by humans, not gods, in a fragmented way, with inconsistencies, and proved to be false. Because they are invented by mankind, they cannot really exist as gods.
On th other hand, the unprovable gods, such as pantheism, are crafted specially in such a way that their existence theoretically cannot be disproven. If such gods existed, however, they by their nature do not interfere with the universe observably. Therefore their commandments cannot be known, and their worship is pointless. Why worship a thing which you contend can never respond observably, helping you? These so-called 'gods' are impotent!
How is the pantheist God unprovable?
(07-23-2011 09:39 AM)Zoe Doidge Wrote:  As rocketboy said, the kind of God you describe gives no commands to follow, makes no moral judgements and desires no worship or even acknowledgement.
What do you mean commands? Are you sure there are no commands on your observable universe?

How about moral judgment?....Trying to say there is on moral judgment in the world?... For folk-sake, you live in a world that has so many judges waiting for you to break the law….!

(07-23-2011 01:55 PM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  Well, yes, you can of course redefine god into something that provably exists.

When I say "god" in this context (and when I say I don't believe in "god,") I'm referring to a sentient creator (or creators) who designed/created the world and/or interact with the physical world and/or listen to our prayers and so on.

There is still a lot of creation taking place in the universe as we speak – which means that the universe creates the universe, that is as good as saying God creates the universe

If you define god as simply the collective sum of all natural laws of the universe, then there cannot even be any question that it exists. But such a god does not give us rules, does not care who we have sex with or in what position, does not ask for sacrifices, and does not listen to our prayers or act in any way outside that which is empirically measurable by science.

You saying that the universe gives us no rules, or doesn’t ask us for sacrifices is massively incorrect

But this is a matter of semantics and definitions, not substance. If you define god as the universe itself, then why use the word "god" at all?

Why should the word “universe” exist? Why does your name exist anyway?- Why don’t we call ourselves by our “homosepien” name?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2011, 07:21 PM
RE: The God Concept
Human moral judgement does not necessitate or prove the existence of a higher judge, Bushy, you can do better than that.
07-26-2011, 07:37 PM
(07-26-2011 07:21 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Human moral judgement does not necessitate or prove the existence of a higher judge, Bushy, you can do better than that.

Who said there was a higher judge?!
07-26-2011, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011 07:43 PM by Painkiller.)
(07-26-2011 05:23 PM)bushbaby Wrote:  
(07-23-2011 09:39 AM)Zoe Doidge Wrote:  As rocketboy said, the kind of God you describe gives no commands to follow, makes no moral judgements and desires no worship or even acknowledgement.
How about moral judgment?....Trying to say there is on moral judgment in the world?... For folk-sake, you live in a world that has so many judges waiting for you to break the law….!

In this reply to Zoe you seem to be equating human moral judgement with God's moral judgement. If you're not, I really have no idea where you're going with that one.
07-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Why the [censored] are there two separate threads for this?

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
07-27-2011, 05:44 AM
(07-26-2011 05:23 PM)bushbaby Wrote:  All in all, God is not God because man said so or because man put together three letters that would be associated with Thee. God was there in the beginning, Is now and ever shall Be time without end [Amen]. God can’t be defined in the human language, because “humanity” is just but a phase on the timeline of “beings”, but can only be realize in communion with God in a realm so divine to defy all limitation.

I'm still not sure why exactly you think God is the universe itself. Regardless, this all has the same problem as any definition of God does. There's no evidence for it.

(07-26-2011 05:23 PM)bushbaby Wrote:  What do you mean commands? Are you sure there are no commands on your observable universe?

Humans make those judgements and commands, and if God is everything, then they would be an aspect of God. Just like the desire to murder, torture and rape would also be aspects of God.

In the end, it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
07-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Do you believe in unicorns?

You don't?

Well, that's silly, because when I said "unicorns" I actually meant "goats," and we know they exist therefore you're stupid for not believing in unicorns haha i win lol derp

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
07-27-2011, 06:37 AM
(07-27-2011 06:03 AM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  Do you believe in unicorns?

You don't?

Well, that's silly, because when I said "unicorns" I actually meant "goats," and we know they exist therefore you're stupid for not believing in unicorns haha i win lol derp

Bushbaby, you might not see it but this is exactly what you are saying.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence - Me
07-30-2011, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2011 11:02 AM by bushbaby.)
(07-27-2011 05:44 AM)Zoe Doidge Wrote:  
(07-26-2011 05:23 PM)bushbaby Wrote:  All in all, God is not God because man said so or because man put together three letters that would be associated with Thee. God was there in the beginning, Is now and ever shall Be time without end [Amen]. God can’t be defined in the human language, because “humanity” is just but a phase on the timeline of “beings”, but can only be realize in communion with God in a realm so divine to defy all limitation.

I'm still not sure why exactly you think God is the universe itself. Regardless, this all has the same problem as any definition of God does. There's no evidence for it.

You mean there is no evidence of the universe??!!!!

(07-26-2011 05:23 PM)bushbaby Wrote:  What do you mean commands? Are you sure there are no commands on your observable universe?

Humans make those judgements and commands, and if God is everything, then they would be an aspect of God. Just like the desire to murder, torture and rape would also be aspects of God.

If there was no sin in the world, how would you appreciate good?!
Humans are made in God's image.

This is an argument that fundamentalist Christians also find hard to swallow....Most of them don't want to associate God with sin, yet there is reason for the POSSIBILITY of sin.

This was something WhiteNova and I were trying to explain under God's love, with suffering in perspective

(07-27-2011 06:03 AM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  Do you believe in unicorns?

You don't?

Keeping in mind this is a man that believes in Bags Bunny, this is what I have to say for your attempt.....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfPrSZpGLu1AtjllcemEA...z6R6sK7HLv]

LOSER!!

(07-27-2011 06:37 AM)Huitaca Wrote:  Bushbaby, you might not see it but this is exactly what you are saying.

One word: RIDICULOUS!!
07-30-2011, 11:56 AM
(07-30-2011 10:57 AM)bushbaby Wrote:  You mean there is no evidence of the universe??!!!!

No, I mean there is no evidence that God is the universe.

In the end, it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The God Concept. bushbaby 8 1,226 07-25-2011 12:39 PM
Last Post: Yefet

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)