Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The "Human Rights" Question
07-21-2008, 03:13 AM
The "Human Rights" Question
Often the West has been at the forefront of criticizing the human rights abuses of the rest of the world. At times such criticisms may be legitimate. However, other times, they are used merely as a political weapon.

Human Rights mean different things to different people. A person living in an agricultural community in a developing country is concerned with making a living and less concerned with what parlimentarians do in his capital. To him, human rights means having a roof over his head, enough to eat, and maybe being able to send his children to school.

In the West, the concept of human rights is much more complex. For example, they may criticize “sexist” laws in Saudi Arabia, but remain mysteriously silent on the excesses of feminism in the West; they may criticize the lack of free speech in China, but then go on to promote the addition of “hate speech” to the list of offenses in a nation’s criminal code, and then turn yet again and defend the authors of anti-Islamic cartoons in Denmark. Based on such happenings in today’s world, it is easy to see what Dr. Mahathir Mohamad meant when he said in 2003 that human rights are a “created” concept.

This article discusses the necessity of human rights from a cultural perspective.

http://my.textjourney.com/ahwei/2008/04/.../#comments
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2008, 11:24 PM
RE: The "Human Rights" Question
Poverty level in the US is what is considered a minimum amount of money needed for basic needs, but even an American at poverty level is still better off than 85% of the world.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2008, 10:35 PM
It is my conviction that there are no "Human Rights". Humans are not inherently entitled to anything and all that we have is due to God's grace.
11-13-2008, 02:09 AM
I prefer to rely on creating my own graces, as should the billions of people living below the povert line, religion frequently acts as an oppiate for complacency and submission.

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god
11-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Hyperborean Wrote:In the West, the concept of human rights is much more complex. For example, they may criticize “sexist” laws in Saudi Arabia, but remain mysteriously silent on the excesses of feminism in the West;
What are "the excesses of feminism"?
11-17-2008, 08:42 PM
PC, look at it this way, "Human Rights" are simply God's Grace, if you see it from a different perspective.

We walk by faith, not by sight.
--2 Corinthians v. 7.
11-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Or their the attempts by man to create an environement were great achievments are possible and noone is denied a chance for a good and fair life, god does'nt have to have anything to do with it, live your own lives!!!

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god
11-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Religion is everything!
11-23-2008, 05:46 PM
PC, human rights are inherently given to us by God. We posess them by the very fact of our creation.

The essence of human rights exists in the premise that humanity is never to be subject to domination by other humans. All human rights flow from this idea.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing..."-Darth Vader
11-23-2008, 10:20 PM
athos123 Wrote:Or their the attempts by man to create an environement were great achievments are possible and noone is denied a chance for a good and fair life, god does'nt have to have anything to do with it, live your own lives!!!

"live your own lives" sounds a lot like you declaring that we have the freedom to do whatever we want, INCLUDING being faithful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Human rights are derived from Christian theology larry3611 23 329 05-25-2017 08:23 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)