Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Origin of Religions by Natural Selection
05-29-2011, 01:24 PM
The Origin of Religions by Natural Selection
I just want to do this little thought experiment applying the Theory of Evolution to religion.

So anyways, religions that have beneficial traits, like the belief that you need to spread your religion or the promise of eternal afterlife are successful and spread. while religions with bad traits, like not spreading your religions or unwanted beliefs often die out.

Some basic observations:
-Before our modern globalization (now still but less obvious0, most religions had a geographical range.
[Image: world-religions-map.gif?w=560&h=420]
- Religions share more traits with religions that border or overlap their own geographic range compared to other religions.
examples: similarities between Horus, Gautama, Jesus, Zoroaster, Mithras, Attis, Dionysus.
Saturnalia - Christmas, Samhain - Halloween
-many religions share common origins:
Abrahamic religions (origins, Abraham), Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Bahá'í Faith, ...
Greek & roman mythology
Buddhism & Hinduism (not sure about these 2)
-religious drift:
-Catholics, protestants, Orthodoxes, (non)tritianists, Assyrian ...
-Sunni, Shia, Sufism, Ahmadiyya, Yazdânism, Quranists, Kharijites ...
- Vaishnavism, Shaivism, Shaktism, Smartism ...
-Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana ...

taxonomic example:
Kingdom: Religion, Phylum: ?, Class: Theism, order: Monotheism, Family: Abrahamic religions, Genus: Christianity, Species: protestant, subspecies: Lutheran.

Terminology:
-Religious Genome = a persons religious beliefs + any sort of holy scripture on which his beliefs rely.
-Mutation = Change withing the religious views of a person or scripture ( not change of religion)
-Generation = a person adopting religion if generation F1, the person/ scripture from which he adopted his religion is P.
-Convergent Evolution = 2 religions having adapted a similar belief independent from each other (like the end of the world)

Of course, there are still many gaps in my theory ^^
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2011, 09:35 PM
RE: The Origin of Religions by Natural Selection
Makes me wonder what the taxonomy of Vodou would be. Although wouldn't phylum be Theism and Class be monotheism?

Kingdom: Religion, Phylum: ?, Class: Theism, order: Pandeism, Family: Afro-Caribbean religions, Genus: Vodou, Species: Haitian Vodou, subspecies: Lutheran.

Although maybe...

Kingdom: Religion, Phylum: Theism, Class: Pandeistic, Order: Forced syncretic, Family: Afro-Caribbean religions, Species: Vodou, Subspecies, Haitian Vodou.

I actually think this is a really apt metaphor. Vodou is a good example of allopatric speciation. So is Orthodox Christianity, I think.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
05-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Islam is a bit better in percentage. I thought Muslims were the 2nd highest nation across the world and Islam is the 2nd highest acceptable religion. But soon i wish that true religion will rule over the world.
05-30-2011, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2011 04:15 PM by EqualAtheist.)
Atheism and Agnosticism...are not religions Fatima, and would have a long way to go before they were at the top of the list. Wink

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does God interfere with natural laws? Mexican309 13 3,067 09-26-2013 09:22 AM
Last Post: Visqueen

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)