Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Quran on Human Embryonic Development
02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
The Quran on Human Embryonic Development
The miracle of embryonic development is mentioned in the Quran in such minute detail, much of which was unknown to scientists until only recently. It mentions the first stages of life after conception, the second stage of life after conception, and witnesses of scientists about these scientific facts of the Quran.

Read
http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/216/

God Warns America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUVT9UL3BEE
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2010, 12:30 PM
RE: The Quran on Human Embryonic Development
(02-19-2010 11:30 AM)Marshal86 Wrote:  The miracle of embryonic development is mentioned in the Quran in such minute detail, much of which was unknown to scientists until only recently. It mentions the first stages of life after conception, the second stage of life after conception, and witnesses of scientists about these scientific facts of the Quran.

Read

Personally I find the purported 'scientific' predictions of the Quran much less than convincing. You or anyone else are entitled to believe whatever you want. But it seems to me that those with a scientific background will not be impressed and will take it as a an argguent against Islam. And those who put their religious faith ahead of science will not be leveraged out of their current beliefs by this approach.

Seems that way to me anyway. But this is not the strangest kind of belief I have encountered.
02-19-2010, 12:45 PM
(02-19-2010 12:30 PM)Parousia Wrote:  
(02-19-2010 11:30 AM)Marshal86 Wrote:  The miracle of embryonic development is mentioned in the Quran in such minute detail, much of which was unknown to scientists until only recently. It mentions the first stages of life after conception, the second stage of life after conception, and witnesses of scientists about these scientific facts of the Quran.

Read

Personally I find the purported 'scientific' predictions of the Quran much less than convincing. You or anyone else are entitled to believe whatever you want. But it seems to me that those with a scientific background will not be impressed and will take it as a an argguent against Islam. And those who put their religious faith ahead of science will not be leveraged out of their current beliefs by this approach.

Seems that way to me anyway. But this is not the strangest kind of belief I have encountered.

The field of science, has proven good for mankind since generation, and Quran and Islam contributed a lot towards science, which modern-day scientists also acknowledged without any hesitation .
Now if you feel that this information is not impressive to you, its upto you, you have your free will of thinking, but you can't object the truth and feelings, authenticity of 1 thing, just because you are against that particular group.
02-19-2010, 12:57 PM
(02-19-2010 12:45 PM)TruthWon Wrote:  The field of science, has proven good for mankind since generation, and Quran and Islam contributed a lot towards science, which modern-day scientists also acknowledged without any hesitation .
Now if you feel that this information is not impressive to you, its upto you, you have your free will of thinking, but you can't object the truth and feelings, authenticity of 1 thing, just because you are against that particular group.

Islamic scientists and mathematicians did made great advances while most of Europe slept. There is no argument with that.

But the claims being made for predictions of what science later discovered do not impress me. They seem very contrived to me. My point was that people of a scientific bent would feel that way and those committed to some other exclusivist religion would simply ignore anything the Quran said.

I can see that it might aid in strengthening the faith of someone who is already Muslim. After all Catholics claim all sorts of 'documented' miracles but nobody takes them seriously except (some) Catholics. (Catholics are not required to believe in all 'official' miracles, just those in the Bible.) But it is not going to help much with non-Muslims and could even hurt. Just like those Catholic miracles.
02-19-2010, 01:37 PM
(02-19-2010 12:57 PM)Parousia Wrote:  
(02-19-2010 12:45 PM)TruthWon Wrote:  The field of science, has proven good for mankind since generation, and Quran and Islam contributed a lot towards science, which modern-day scientists also acknowledged without any hesitation .

Islamic scientists and mathematicians did made great advances while most of Europe slept. There is no argument with that.

But the claims being made for predictions of what science later discovered do not impress me. They seem very contrived to me. My point was that people of a scientific bent would feel that way and those committed to some other exclusivist religion would simply ignore anything the Quran said.

I can see that it might aid in strengthening the faith of someone who is already Muslim. After all Catholics claim all sorts of 'documented' miracles but nobody takes them seriously except (some) Catholics. (Catholics are not required to believe in all 'official' miracles, just those in the Bible.) But it is not going to help much with non-Muslims and could even hurt. Just like those Catholic miracles.

I would disagree with you here, as the facts shown by Quran to non-muslim scientists, made them realize that these are real facts, which could;nt be found in any other religious scripture.

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/S...tists.html
02-19-2010, 05:10 PM
(02-19-2010 01:37 PM)TruthWon Wrote:  I would disagree with you here, as the facts shown by Quran to non-muslim scientists, made them realize that these are real facts, which could;nt be found in any other religious scripture.

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/S...tists.html

Like I have said before, you can believe anything you want. But I am still unimpressed. Here is why.

1) Leeches

This is what a leech looks like.

Bottom
[Image: picture_1244_medium.jpg]

Side
[Image: picture_1242_medium.jpg]

[Image: picture_1243_medium.jpg]

Notice the illustration in the OP link is a top view of a leech but it is compared to a side view of an embryo. And even then the resemblance is rather vague.

[Image: The_Quran_on_Human_Embryonic_Development_001.jpg]

2) Chewed gum

The picture of chewed gum is clearly made to look like the embryo.
[Image: The_Quran_on_Human_Embryonic_Development_006.jpg]

I have seen lots of chewed gum on sidewalks. None of it ever looked anything like that.

Also:

“somites

The paired, blocklike masses of mesoderm, arranged segmentally alongside the neural tube of the embryo, forming the vertebral column and segmental musculature.”
http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Somites

Somites are bumps not indentations.

3) Stages

Keith L. Moore said:

“Because the staging of human embryos is complex, owing to the continuous process of change during development, it is proposed that a new system of classification could be developed using the terms mentioned in the Qur'an and Sunnah.”
http://dawahcentre.blogspot.com/2009/08/...islam.html

Can anyone line up the stages described in the Qur’an with the stages of embryonic development according to The Developing Human - Clinically Oriented Embryology, the textbook written by Keith L. Moore that is referenced in the OP article.

The Beginning of Human Development: First Week
Formation of Bilaminar Embryonic Disc: Second Week
Formation of Germ Layers and Early Tissue and Organ Differentiation: Third Week
Organogenetic Period: Fourth to Eighth Weeks
The Fetal Period: Ninth Week to Birth

http://www.rcog.org.uk/catalog/book/deve...th-edition

It does not seem that when it came to detailed scientific descriptions of reality that Professor Moore used the Qur’an based model after all.

Another book of Moore’s confirms that schema. (Scroll down to Contents.)

Here is one of the chapters from The Developing Human, describing one of the stages in Moore’s textbook. Does it really sound like the Qur’an predicted all of this?

4) Bias?

I would be more impressed by statements from scientists who were not already studying the Qur’an preparatory to conversion or who were not on the payroll of a university in Saudi Arabia at the time they made the statements. Having been in academia in a church run institution, I can assure you that you go with the flow if you want to keep getting paid. Sad but true.

To elucidate on my point. People who are not already Muslims or studying Islam with a view to possible conversion are not going to be impressed by arguments of this type.
02-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Read

Read the counter-arguments in counteringislam.

"Borrowing erroneous Greek ideas

Sura- (86:6-7) “He is created from a drop emitted - proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs”

Sura- (7:172) "when thy Lord drew forth from the Children of Adam - from their loins - their descendants" or

Sura- (4:23) "prohibited to you (for marriage) are ... wives of your sons proceeding from your loins".

In the Quranic translation by Maulana Fazlur Rahman Munshi, the Ayat (86:6-7) were translated as: semen are produced from the back of a man and from the breasts (mammary glands) of an woman.

Sura 86:6-7 : is interesting since it claims that during the act of sexual intercourse before which a man is created, the "gushing fluid" or semen issues from between the loins and ribs. Semen is apparently coming out of the area around the kidneys and back, which is a real scientific mistake for we know that the testicles are the sites of sperm production (although the ancient Greeks were not so convinced. Aristotle for example amusingly believed that they functioned as weights to keep the seminal passages open during sexual intercourse [2]).

The Greek physician Hippocrates and his followers taught in the fifth century BC that semen comes from all the fluid in the body, diffusing from the brain into the spinal marrow, before passing through the kidneys and via the testicles into the penis [3]. Clearly according to this view sperm originates from the region of the kidneys, and although there is serious scientific error to this teaching today, it was well-known in the 7th century period, and shows how the Qur'an could contain such an erroneous statement. So this is an example of an incorrect ancient Greek idea re-emerging in the Qur'an."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Quran on Human Embryonic Development Elsoufi 20 988 10-23-2017 04:35 PM
Last Post: KAYSER

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)