Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Ragnarök
01-31-2017, 03:21 PM
RE: The Ragnarök
(01-31-2017 03:09 PM)Avun Jahei Wrote:  You did not show anything.

Yes, apologies, that was on another forum about this same topic.

The Ragnarök is not a future event to happen. Loki will not pull a 180° and betray the Æsir, leading his daughter's army of the dead against the einherjar. Rather, the Ragnarök describes what happens every year. In addition to things naturally dying, and the need to let things die, wisdom is devoured by rage. Strength is outdone by itself. The moon is devoured every month, and the sun progressively through the year as the night grows longer. Every year, the Gods die, and every new year, they return again - just as the Earth herself dies and is reborn.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2017, 04:13 AM
OK.

But in which sense is your explanation the right one, while mine is wrong? Do you think, that it is the way Nordic peoples tended to think about this subject, and if so, are there any texts you can back it up with?
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2017, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 10:53 AM by Satyros.)
That is the way the Norse thought. There aren't texts to back it up (thank the Christians for that), but there is Norse testimony.

The misconception about the Ragnarök is akin to misconception about the Mayan calendar. It, too, never predicted the "end of the world," but the end of a cycle.

02-01-2017, 01:44 PM
(02-01-2017 09:10 AM)Satyros Wrote:  That is the way the Norse thought. There aren't texts to back it up (thank the Christians for that), but there is Norse testimony.

Yes? Which non-textual testimony?
02-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Really? Look at the first post.

02-01-2017, 01:55 PM
This Einar Selvik is your testimony?
02-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Among others in the Heathen Community, yes. This is our religion, and he is among as close that we get to authorities on it.

At this point I am done discussing it, avun. Ironically, it has gone in nothing but circles, and now must reach it's end. Ragnarök is here.

02-01-2017, 02:20 PM
You understand that texts like the Völuspa have more authority for me when it comes to Norse religion than your Heathen community. I can see no evidence that ragnarök is just a symbol for the cycle of the seasons and you didn't really show me one.
03-30-2017, 05:44 PM
(02-01-2017 02:20 PM)Avun Jahei Wrote:  You understand that texts like the Völuspa have more authority for me when it comes to Norse religion than your Heathen community.

Reviving this for something other than the same-old topics.

This above is a preposterous stance to take, when not even we Heathens hold the Völuspa in such high regard. It is essentially treating it as the bible, when it is not so. Not only are the legends and myths of the Norse from a time that has passed - meaning that several kennings and metaphors are lost to us - but several of them do not follow in a linear fashion; they are not an infallible chronicle of what was and is to be.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)