Poll: What is the second "rock" in this passage?
It is Peter himself.
It is Peter's faith.
It is Jesus.
As with much of the Bible, it has multiple meanings. (All of the above)
Other (please explain)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The "Rock" of Matthew 16:18
09-29-2008, 10:02 PM
The "Rock" of Matthew 16:18
This is a topic that (almost) never fails to excite the masses. I'll begin with the Scripture in question, in both the NIV and a (as best I can manage) literal translation of the original Greek. It should be noted that there is no punctuation in the Greek, and so that which is present in the text here is my own.

NIV Matthew 16:18 Wrote:16Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ,[b] the Son of the living God."

17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter,[c] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[d] will not overcome it.[e] 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[f] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[g] loosed in heaven." 20Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Koine Greek Matthew 16:18 Wrote:16 Answering yet, Simon Peter said, "You are the anointed(=Christ) the son of the God the Living."

17 Answering yet, the Jesus said to him, "Happy you are, Simon Bar-Jonah, that flesh and blood not reveals to you, but the Father of me, the one in the heavens. 18 Also, I yet, to you, am saying that you are Petros(=rock) and on this the rock I shall be building the ecclesia(=church) of me, and gates of the unseen shall not be prevailing of her. 19 I shall be giving to you the keys of the kingdom of the heavens, and which if ever you should be binding on the earth shall be having been bound in heavens, and which if ever you should be loosing on the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens."

The "rock" in question is the one on which Jesus is going to be building his church. Traditionally, there are three views:

1) Jesus gives Simon the new name Peter, which means rock, and then immediately says that "on this rock" He will be building His Church. The conclusion being that Peter is the "rock" within the context of this passage.

2) Jesus is giving to Simon the name Peter ("rock") because of his faith, stated in the verse before to be "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God." It is this faith that is the second "rock", and it is on this faith (that Jesus is the Son of God) that He will build His Church.

3) Simon Peter is not the second rock, the use of these words is accidental or differential, and Jesus Himself is the rock that He speaks of in this passage.

Typically, different Christian groups have each attested to at least one of those three views, and it often plays a role in other issues, such as the role of the Bishop of Rome (a.k.a. the Pope).

So, what is your interpretation of the verse above? Care to discuss?

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2008, 01:42 PM
RE: The "Rock" of Matthew 16:18
I think Jesus was talking about Peter being the rock and it is also a play on words since Peter means rock. This seems to be one of those things where some of the meaning got lost in translation.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who is the Rock, Peter or Christ? Hobie 7 594 10-30-2012 03:55 AM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Punk Rock is my Religion Flipper 4 1,395 04-12-2011 06:13 AM
Last Post: Flipper

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)