Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
The Trinity~~~Can it be trusted as a Bible Teaching?
05-18-2017, 10:28 PM
RE: The Trinity~~~Can it be trusted as a Bible Teaching?
John 10:30 "I and My Father are One.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2017, 07:13 AM
(05-18-2017 12:56 PM)Brother Rando Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 12:45 PM)Avun Jahei Wrote:  Though liberal theologians (like the ones of the Historical-critical school like Adolf Harnack) may disagree with you despite calling themselves Christians. Even as a Christian you can read the various Biblical books as the authors really meant it instead of lumping them all together. Christianity is not only conservative Christianity.

You make a very good point. Trinitarians spend a lot of time trying to convince people that they are Christians. I'm my research they have repeatedly rufused the teaching of Christ but follow the teachings of the trinity. Case in point, trinitarians I have spoken too often reject the following examples as a group.

They teach Jesus is God but can't provide a single scripture stating such: "He said to them: “You, though, who do you say I am?”  Simon Peter answered: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Matthew 16:15-16)

They also reject Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh by stating God became flesh. What does the Bible really teach? "For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those not acknowledging Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist." (2 John 7)

Note: I am not a Trinitarian but a Tritheist.

It is thought that John 20:28 has Thomas declare Jesus God, and since Jesus did not correct him, and since John kept it in writing without revision or criticism, it was probably inspired.

But really what should settle things is John 1:1, where the Word (who is the Son) is called divine.

Some respond by saying: But Jesus was small-case god, while the Father was upper-case God. My response is: If the Greek allows us to call Jesus divine then so will I.

Some respond by saying: The angels are gods in this sense, per both Old Testament and New Testament. So Jesus' status is that of an angel, not part of a Godhead. My response is: Unlike the other angels Jesus had a role (as did the Spirit) as part of Yahweh. Yahweh's Word and Breath (Spirit) are agents of his efforts in creation and revelation, and they are the way by which the Father makes contact with man and the world. No other angel is a direct mediator like these two and no other angel is considered part of Yahweh. The Shema, for Christians, ought to be read as saying that Yahweh Elohim (a plural group) has unity, rather than declaring an ontological monotheism. Given this understanding, it is to be understood that Israel was given the command to worship alone the Godhead of Father, Son, and Spirit.

Some respond by saying: Even if the Father, Son, and Spirit form part of the "one" Jehovah who alone we must worship, the Son and Spirit are still lesser than the Father, and therefore not "the" God. My response is: While the Father alone is called Most High God, yet the sense of "God" that should matter to us when addressing worship is not ontological supremacy, but rather forming part of the Yahweh Elohim plurality, since this is what we are commanded to worship.

Trinitarians do not deny that the Word, Son of the Father, became flesh. The Gnostics however, did.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
05-20-2017, 05:25 AM
(05-18-2017 10:28 PM)Sue D. Wrote:  John 10:30 "I and My Father are One.

Yes. St. Matthew chapter 28, verse 19: "Go therefore, out preaching unto the nations, Baptizing them in the Name Of the Father, and Of the Son, and Of the Holy Spirit."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)