Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
The Trinity~~~Can it be trusted as a Bible Teaching?
06-28-2017, 01:21 PM
RE: The Trinity~~~Can it be trusted as a Bible Teaching?
(06-13-2017 06:23 AM)Apologes Wrote:  @shiv:

I will look into those when I can. (Though my interest has mostly shifted from metaphysics to epistemology.)

I think your talk about every little divisible part being a "being" on its own is somewhat similar to what Inwagen talks about in his book Material Objects. I don't really know how to feel about that as I myself draw a line between a "being" and a "mere object". To me, a "being" is an object but one that has the potential to perform active functions. (Humans and robots are "beings" in this sense.) A "mere object" on the other hand is an object that lacks this potential or it has only a potential for a passive function. (Chairs and others inanimate objects would fall into this category.)

This may all sound cringy as it seems like a caveman trying to say something that others have already said in a way more intelligible fashion but bear with me please.

Speaking of Cerberus, I consider things like heads, pawns, legs etc to be "mere objects" and as such different from a "being". What we would need to do in order to divide him and still have "beings" is to transplant each head into another body which would then be able to perform active functions and as such constitute a being.

Still, I consider Cerberus to be a special being even in this case. It is a special being because 3 heads are all connected to one nervous system while a "divided Cerberus" would have 3 heads all attached to their own separate nervous systems. I think it's obvious that these beings would be very different in their function and as such you would have a relevant distinction between them - you would have a special "being".

Now, I think this matters for the Trinity because unlike having multiple heads with one nervous system, God has multiple personhoods with one mind. To make it more clear, a normal mind would have a set of cognitive faculties that give rise to personhood. God would be a mind which has 3 sets of these faculties which would give rise to 3 persons.

These persons cannot be divided as they would require each a different mind and with this it's functions would change. It would no longer be the person it was while in unison with other persons. Tell me what the problem is with this.

There is no such scripture that states God has three heads or is a multi person creature. So I am in agreement with your hypothesis. However, here is a quote from Jesus in giving witness about his Father. "God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth." (John 4:24)

"Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him." (John 4:23)

This witness from Jesus Christ is far different from what religions teach..... therefore the Trinity~~~Can't it be trusted as a Bible Teaching...... it's absent from the scriptures......
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)