Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Ultimate List of Life Altering Books
08-17-2011, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2011 02:41 PM by AnrBjotk.)
The Ultimate List of Life Altering Books
This category seems a little dry, so I thought we could compile a list of literature of books we found interesting or enlightening within the realm of spiritualism, with plenty of wiggle-room.

I'll start things rolling:

[Image: edwards-david-the-compassionate-revolution.jpg]

David Edwards - The Compassionate Revolution

In The Compassionate Revolution Edwards shows how our capitalist system is dependent on the promotion of the three Buddhist 'Poisons' of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance:Greed for profit at any cost in terms of human suffering; hatred of foreign obstacles to profit; and ignorance of the cosy link between Western corporations and Third World dictators, helping to protect Western profits.

[Image: bhagavad-gita-as-it-is-prabhupada-a-c-bh...er-art.jpg]

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada - The Bhagvad-Gita As it Is

"Bhagavad-Gita" is universally renowned as the jewel of India's spiritual wisdom. Spoken by Lord Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, to His intimate devotee Arjuna, the "Gita's" 700 concise verses act as a guide to the science of self-realization. It explores revelations of man's essential nature, his environment and, ultimately, his relationship with God.

[Image: 250px-Walden_Thoreau.jpg]

Henry David Thoreau - Walden
One of the great books of American letters and a masterpiece of reflective philosophizing. Accounts of Thoreau's daily life on the shores of Walden Pond outside Concord, Massachusetts, are interwoven with musings on the virtues of self-reliance and individual freedom, on society, government, and other topics.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDn7nW3m_3Fg9Mpvi1m2J...YoREcktwdw]

Dorothy Bomar Bradley - Psychic Phenomena: Revelations and Experiences

Don't leave me hangin' here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2011, 09:56 AM
RE: The Spiritualism Book Club
Perhaps one reason you haven't gotten any replies in this thread AB is because there is a 'now reading' thread. That thread is meant to cover any book being read and is not restricted to books with religious subject matter, although they also appear there. I think it's possible that posters don't want to double up their posting in this regard.
Find all posts by this user
08-18-2011, 02:40 PM
RE: The Spiritualism Book Club
(08-18-2011 09:56 AM)Visqueen Wrote:  Perhaps one reason you haven't gotten any replies in this thread AB is because there is a 'now reading' thread. That thread is meant to cover any book being read and is not restricted to books with religious subject matter, although they also appear there. I think it's possible that posters don't want to double up their posting in this regard.

True. This thread was really meant for compiling books people have read and found spiritually enhancing... I could change the thread-title perhaps...
08-18-2011, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2011 11:54 PM by kevlar.)
RE: The Ultimate List of Life Altering Books
Goldilocks and the Three Bears, you see any and all books can be life altering. So your Ultimate List will be huge.

????????????????
08-19-2011, 12:17 AM
(08-18-2011 11:51 PM)kevlar Wrote:  Goldilocks and the Three Bears, you see any and all books can be life altering. So your Ultimate List will be huge.

My God...D'you kiss your mother with that sarcasm?
Excuuuuuuuuuuse me for livin'
08-19-2011, 12:24 AM
There was no sarcasm there at all, it's simply a fact.

????????????????
08-23-2011, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2011 08:52 AM by IMtM.)
Yeah, kevlar usually gives the straight info with very little to no sarcasm. Me, on the other hand, I can exude so much sarcasm that Groucho Marx would be proud. But I digress.

Life altering books? I can't believe that no one mentioned J.R.R. Tolkien's works. Think what his books have done for us. We have him to thank for things like AD&D and, uh..., other stuff. Of course, then we could say that Robert E. Howard was the granddaddy of modern fantasy literature, but then we're coasting into a whole different scene man. For sure.

PS
Oh, I'm sure that Tolkien inspired computer/console RPGs as well. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior in N. America), Ultima, Wizardry, and all of the other nerdy games that I love and worship in place of an overarching deity.
08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I have read many books in my life to this point, from the clear moment in time when I first realised that I was reading an entire sentence and understanding the words as a sentence. Reading has been one of the biggest things in my life ever since, and thus I thought I might try to actually name a book that fits the OP of this thread. Granted I've only spent about 5 mins mulling it over but so far I can't honestly name a single title that I feel was life altering for me personally. Many titles that were life altering for others, certainly. I've made myself curious so I'm going to continue to think about this and see if there is a title or two that fit the criteria.
08-23-2011, 11:28 AM
For me 'How to survive life' by Cleese and Skynner was an eye opener.
It taught me that asking for help doesn't necessarily mean you are a failure,
but that it is often in fact a sign of strength. For me a new concept at the time.

Osho: "Enlightenment means being fully conscious, aware. Ordinarily we are not conscious and not aware. We are doing things either out of habit or out of biological instinct".
08-23-2011, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2011 02:40 PM by rocketboy9000.)
Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People was an eye-opener for me. It really shows you how to be a hit with people, get everyone to like you, and this was a major way that I was able to get good marks in the last 2 years of high school and get into a good university.
EDIT: It's amazing how much extra help you can get if teachers like you rather than thinking of you as an annoying brat.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)