Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The Viet belief in the Mother Goddesses (documentary movie)
04-17-2017, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2017 09:44 PM by ihts.)
The Viet belief in the Mother Goddesses (documentary movie)
Here is a very interesting documentary movie about Vietnamese Mother Goddesses Worship (which is regconized by UNESCO as an intangible cultural heritage of humanity) and the mediumship. The movie also includes many lively clips of the ritual "hau dong" (receiving incarnation of the deities) - the main practice of the Viet belief in the Mother Goddesses - and reaserchers' explanations about the ritual as well as the Vietnameses Mother Goddesses Worship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASkxYK00aZQ

"Since the Mother Goddesses Worship came into being, women’s rights have been extremely executed
Never before have women assumed such a high position in our society...
This recognition of UNESCO one more time confirms the permanent value of the Viet belief in the Mother Goddesses...
[...]
Hau dong (receiving incarnation of the deities) is the main practice of the Viet belief in the Mother Goddesses
During the ritual, the spirit medium respectively receives incarnation of the deities and dances in trance...

Spirit mediums here are those who play the role of intermediaries between the deities and living people as well as they can receive incarnation of the deities in a ritual of Mother Goddesses Worship called “hau dong”. Master spirit medium is generally known as the one who takes the role of presenting the new ones, who are considered to have spirit root, to Holy Mothers and the deities, helps them become officially accepted spirit mediums. This is performed through some special sacred rituals practiced by the master himself/herself. New spirit mediums will be the master medium’s disciples then and the master will be the leader in their spiritual life. Only a certain number of people can become medium or master medium, not everyone.
It’s a long rough road full of numerous difficulties that almost every master spirit medium has to experience before and after becoming a master spirit medium"
[...]

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2017, 12:02 PM
RE: The Viet belief in the Mother Goddesses (documentary movie)
How would you tell a fake medium from a real one?

----------------------
Does anyone know where the love of God goes
when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
04-17-2017, 09:36 PM
(04-17-2017 12:02 PM)The_Squid Wrote:  How would you tell a fake medium from a real one?

Excuse me, I don't get what you mean Shy
04-17-2017, 10:36 PM
(04-17-2017 09:36 PM)ihts Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 12:02 PM)The_Squid Wrote:  How would you tell a fake medium from a real one?

How would you tell a fraudulent medium from a real medium?

----------------------
Does anyone know where the love of God goes
when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
04-18-2017, 02:48 PM
(04-17-2017 10:36 PM)The_Squid Wrote:  

The OP said 'officially recognized'. There is apparently a sanctioning mechanism. But from what understanding I have of the Mother Goddess beliefs and practices (*), the participants do not need to see any official license or the equivalent. The possession takes place over a period of several hours and is rather wearing on the medium. Offerings made are not very large. A con artist would look for an easier line of work, I would think. In any case, it is quite a show and for believers or other participants it is easily worth a modest offering.

* The word religion in the western sense of is not really applicable. This is true of eastern cultures in general. People may often consider themselves as having several religions.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
04-19-2017, 04:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2017 05:06 AM by ihts.)

Thanks for your question,
In general, before becoming a spirit medium, spirit mediums of Vietnamese Mother Goddesses Worship often have many troubles in life, their lives seem much more difficult than others although they have tried their best, they can’t overcome these difficulties by themselves as it seems that a supernatural strength prevents them, so they meet a master spirit medium to beg for help and look for the spiritual power of the Mother Goddesses and the deities. The master helps them solve their problems by some means or others, through some rituals. They may become mediums as well as the master's disciple then following the master’s guide. Almost mediums feel blessed and meet their needs when they meet genuine master medium - the one connects people with the Mother Goddesses and the deities. But not every one can become a spirit medium, it depends.
Here you see we don’t tell fake medium from real medium but we need distinguish fake master medium from real master medium. And it is really not simple to tell. It takes a time of experiencing and feeling. Talking in the simplest way, we know a master is a real one that has enough ability to help us through what we feel and what we have gained since the time we met the master. For example, with the real master’s help, many people feel blessed or feel easier, many others get their troubles solved or get gradual improvement in their daily work, some even escape from incurable disease…
The above is just a very simple explanation as my knowledge and my English are limited. I would like to learn your idea about this too Smile If you are really interested in this worship, we may talk later Big Grin

(04-18-2017 02:48 PM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  

The OP said 'officially recognized'. There is apparently a sanctioning mechanism. But from what understanding I have of the Mother Goddess beliefs and practices (*), the participants do not need to see any official license or the equivalent. The possession takes place over a period of several hours and is rather wearing on the medium. Offerings made are not very large. A con artist would look for an easier line of work, I would think. In any case, it is quite a show and for believers or other participants it is easily worth a modest offering.

* The word religion in the western sense of is not really applicable. This is true of eastern cultures in general. People may often consider themselves as having several religions.
Yes our belief is still remained and spreads widely in our life no need any license. But it's easier for us to practice the worship and help more people when it's officially recognized since many people still dismiss the worship as superstition although they have never learnt a bit about it...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pagan God's and Goddesses hate radical Islam PopeADope 60 1,774 07-04-2016 05:25 PM
Last Post: use your brain
  Concept of Mother as Universal D B Saxena 18 2,525 12-02-2014 05:28 PM
Last Post: susanblange
  Difference between a belief and a belief system. rocketboy9000 6 1,344 07-20-2012 09:38 PM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  This Business Of Belief Vs. Non Belief thomasj6299 15 1,849 05-16-2012 07:52 AM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  Happy Mother's Day! biomystic 2 499 05-09-2011 02:43 PM
Last Post: Maylou
  Honor thy FATHER and MOTHER Raphael 4 1,489 09-12-2009 02:30 PM
Last Post: Majdi
  MOTHER IN ISLAM sesame 16 2,404 05-09-2009 12:00 AM
Last Post: sesame

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)