Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The black cave
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
The black cave
There is a cave so dark that you cannot see. A cave that only has two ways out. The first is to claw your way back to the light. The second is death.
Death by your own hand, suicide. Some of you I can tell have been in that cave. Sometimes people try to help you get out, up back to the light. When you are in the cave, you don't realise that they are offering help. In there it is all darkness, but if you get out, you understand that those people were using every ounce of their strength to hold on to you and drag you up to the light. Those people sometimes think that they have lost you, but the important ones never give up. That cave is the most frightening thing you will ever endure, but you will only know it's fear if you claw your way out. It seems natural, while you are in that cave to go down, there is no fear.For while you are in it, the way down seems the easiest way. It is the easiest way. If you are ever in a situation to lend those strong arms of yours to drag someone out of that cave. Do it for eternity, never let go, never ever. Everybody in that cave needs your help.Talk to them about the things that matter to them, or the things that used to matter to them. Don't please talk to them about god and the devil, eternal damnation or salvation, they are meaningless in the cave. Find something, anything that they can cling too, something real to them. It must be real to get them out of the cave. The people who have never been in that cave really can't know what it is like, but I am asking you here to do everything you can to help those that fall into that cave. The CAVE is DEPRESSION and it is terminal without help and love.

????????????????
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
RE: The black cave
(03-15-2010 02:17 PM)kevlar Wrote:  There is a cave so dark that you cannot see. A cave that only has two ways out. The first is to claw your way back to the light. The second is death.
Death by your own hand, suicide. Some of you I can tell have been in that cave. Sometimes people try to help you get out, up back to the light. When you are in the cave, you don't realise that they are offering help. In there it is all darkness, but if you get out, you understand that those people were using every ounce of their strength to hold on to you and drag you up to the light. Those people sometimes think that they have lost you, but the important ones never give up. That cave is the most frightening thing you will ever endure, but you will only know it's fear if you claw your way out. It seems natural, while you are in that cave to go down, there is no fear.For while you are in it, the way down seems the easiest way. It is the easiest way. If you are ever in a situation to lend those strong arms of yours to drag someone out of that cave. Do it for eternity, never let go, never ever. Everybody in that cave needs your help.Talk to them about the things that matter to them, or the things that used to matter to them. Don't please talk to them about god and the devil, eternal damnation or salvation, they are meaningless in the cave. Find something, anything that they can cling too, something real to them. It must be real to get them out of the cave. The people who have never been in that cave really can't know what it is like, but I am asking you here to do everything you can to help those that fall into that cave. The CAVE is DEPRESSION and it is terminal without help and love.

but, when the Rabbit actually took a watch out of its waistcoat-pocket, and looked at it, and then hurried on, Alice started to her feet, for it flashed across her mind that she had never before seen a rabbit with either a waistcoat-pocket, or a watch to take out of it, and burning with curiosity, she ran across the field after it, and was just in time to see it pop down a large rabbit-hole under the hedge.

In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.
03-20-2010, 11:24 PM
If you fall into a black cave or hole, you should climb out of it. This is easier said than done, but possible to do.

A black cave or hole is an accurate symbol to describe depression. Depression is linked to beliefs of hopelessness and helplessness.

Depressed people are notorious negative thinkers. They believe that they're in a hopeless situation that they have no power over. So the cure is to adopt more positive beliefs.

If you're a depressed Christian, do the following every day to feel better.

Every morning, say to yourself in a confident manner, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13). Every morning, say this at least three times. The more emotionally you say this, the better.

The above method will eventually cure you of depression, but you must be patient.

If you're not a Christian, please tailor the above method to fit your world view.

Every evening I turn my worries over to God.
He's going to be up all night anyway.
~Mary C. Crowley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Kevlar~
Kudos to you for beginning this post. I believe with what you wrote that depression has played a big role in your life wether affecting you or someone close to you. I have been there as well and that is absolutely the most accurate way to describe what it feels like.
I was actually diagnosed as Bi-Polar 1. I fought very hard to get out of that cave. Initially it took lots of medication and then I found God. Now it takes God to control it but you wouldn't have been able to tell me that then.

Thank you for such a graphic visual of depression!

It's not about you or me. It's about GOD.
03-21-2010, 02:19 AM
(03-21-2010 01:49 AM)godlover Wrote:  Kevlar~
Kudos to you for beginning this post. I believe with what you wrote that depression has played a big role in your life wether affecting you or someone close to you. I have been there as well and that is absolutely the most accurate way to describe what it feels like.
I was actually diagnosed as Bi-Polar 1. I fought very hard to get out of that cave. Initially it took lots of medication and then I found God. Now it takes God to control it but you wouldn't have been able to tell me that then.

I find it interesting that for some, god/religion is a cure for depression, and for others it's the opposite.

Personally, being a rapid-cycler myself, I always sort of preferred depression.
03-21-2010, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2010 07:21 AM by kevlar.)
(03-20-2010 11:24 PM)Al A. Gammate Wrote:  If you fall into a black cave or hole, you should climb out of it. This is easier said than done, but possible to do.

A black cave or hole is an accurate symbol to describe depression. Depression is linked to beliefs of hopelessness and helplessness.

Depressed people are notorious negative thinkers. They believe that they're in a hopeless situation that they have no power over. So the cure is to adopt more positive beliefs.

If you're a depressed Christian, do the following every day to feel better.

Every morning, say to yourself in a confident manner, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13). Every morning, say this at least three times. The more emotionally you say this, the better.

The above method will eventually cure you of depression, but you must be patient.

If you're not a Christian, please tailor the above method to fit your world view.

You demonstrate a perhaps naive understanding of depression. Depression is like alcoholism, instead of being 1 drink away, it's 1 experience away. Good luck to anyone who can fight it using a belief in their religion.
The helplessness, hopelessness and negative thinking though really made me chuckle. But your concern is not unfounded and some of what you say may help some people. But believe me platitudes and homespun recipes don't help people in the cave. Sometimes all the love and support in the world aren't enough.
(03-21-2010 01:49 AM)godlover Wrote:  Kevlar~

Thanks godlover. You can't get out by yourself, and as far as I'm concerned it's whatever works for each person. I'm glad that you climbed out and you hang onto God and I sincerely hope that he will keep you out. When your there you think that nobody can tell you anything, fortunately there is something in some of us that the message gets through to. That message can come from anywhere. Sometimes there isn't enough time.

????????????????
03-21-2010, 07:42 AM
(03-15-2010 02:17 PM)kevlar Wrote:  ...Talk to them about the things that matter to them, or the things that used to matter to them. Don't please talk to them about god and the devil, eternal damnation or salvation...Find something, anything that they can cling too...

At the risk of sounding trivial, I can say that for me during my time of depression, watching the Honeymooners and Bob Newhart helped me to learn to laugh again. Once you've learned how to laugh again, it's hard to stay depressed.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Stereo, I have never stopped laughing, never stopped making jokes, but that black cave is not a laughing matter. But thanks for your input. Perhaps it is not an appropriate topic for a religious forum.

????????????????
03-21-2010, 09:11 AM
(03-21-2010 02:19 AM)Aingeal Wrote:  I find it interesting that for some, god/religion is a cure for depression, and for others it's the opposite.

God is actually not the cure here, it is the self-delusion of a higher power watching over you that does the trick. Like a frightened child clinging to its teddybear, imagining it will protect him against the monsters under the bed. The bear is not real (in the sense that it is an inanimate object and unable to protect anyone), but the child has the illusion that something powerful is watching over it and that everything will be alright.

I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts
03-21-2010, 11:05 AM
(03-21-2010 09:11 AM)Evolition Wrote:  
(03-21-2010 02:19 AM)Aingeal Wrote:  I find it interesting that for some, god/religion is a cure for depression, and for others it's the opposite.

God is actually not the cure here, it is the self-delusion of a higher power watching over you that does the trick. Like a frightened child clinging to its teddybear, imagining it will protect him against the monsters under the bed. The bear is not real (in the sense that it is an inanimate object and unable to protect anyone), but the child has the illusion that something powerful is watching over it and that everything will be alright.

It must be reassuring for you to see everything in black and white, no shades. Just like the religious zealots. In my experience, nothing is so simple, would that it were. Life is a complication, that if we can we will navigate it the best we can. There are certainly no absolutes.

????????????????

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)