Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The current state of the United States.
06-24-2011, 07:47 PM
The current state of the United States.
Greetings members! I am new to this site. This is my first thread. My desire is to create threads that will lead into a discussion of the entire counsel of the Holy Bible. The first five books of Moses(Torah), The Books of Moses and the Prophets(Tanakh) or Old Testament as well as the New Testament(The Gospels, The Acts, The Epistles & Revelation). I will forthright admit that I am not as scholarly in the Holy Bible as I ought to be. Thus I believe that discussion with Bible believers and non believers will be a good opportunity for me to learn also.

You may question why I have chosen Morality & Laws to make this thread. I certainly think this is a good place to begin because there are a number of issues facing society as a whole in this generation, in some cases uniquely. Such as the following:

- Homosexual marriage/homosexual rights.
- Religious Terrorism.
- Economic recession/collapse.
- High rate or divorce.
- Abortion.
- High Teen Pregnancy.
- Environmental Pollution.
- Animal Rights.
- Obesity.
- Media Censorship.
- Constitutional Rights.
- Academic Freedom.
- Single Parenting.
- Consumer Debt and Bankruptcy.
- Violence

and so on and so forth.

I think most people can agree that the Holy Bible has a definitive contrast to Non-Biblical teaching. But as a believer in Jesus Christ the Bible has become the most important book to me as an individual, for a source of wisdom & edification.

If its alright with you, I would like to begin by asking you a question individually. What are your thoughts of beliefs of the Bible?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2011, 07:52 PM
RE: The current state of the United States.
Hello. I am also a new member, but unlike yourself am not a faithful follower of Biblical teachings. I can respect your choice but simply do not choose the same path. Does that make sense and answer your question?
06-24-2011, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2011 08:08 PM by Root of Jesse.)
(06-24-2011 07:52 PM)Jeizzavelle Wrote:  Hello. I am also a new member, but unlike yourself am not a faithful follower of Biblical teachings. I can respect your choice but simply do not choose the same path. Does that make sense and answer your question?

It certainly does and its a nice introduction to getting to know you. So thank you for that. How long have you been using this site, what brought you to it?
06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
I just started today, actually. Google got me here. I really enjoy picking people's brains and having intelligent conversations about different beliefs and why.
06-24-2011, 08:40 PM
(06-24-2011 08:11 PM)Jeizzavelle Wrote:  I just started today, actually. Google got me here. I really enjoy picking people's brains and having intelligent conversations about different beliefs and why.

Nice.
06-24-2011, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2011 08:52 PM by StarStuff.)
(06-24-2011 07:47 PM)Root of Jesse Wrote:  What are your thoughts of beliefs of the Bible?

My thoughts are that they should have no bearing on the laws of the United States, as is clearly stated in the first amendment.

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
06-24-2011, 08:53 PM
(06-24-2011 07:47 PM)Root of Jesse Wrote:  ...A great opportunity to learn...
- Homosexual marriage/homosexual rights.
- Religious Terrorism.
- High rate or divorce.
- Abortion.
- High Teen Pregnancy.
- Animal Rights.
- Single Parenting.
- Violence
Ok. Let's get this party started. I picked a few topics from your list. I'll start with what I think about them and we can go from there. I'm dying for a good conversation.
- Homosexual marriage/homosexual rights.--I'm not opposed to what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home and have no problem with them wanting to make a commitment to one another. I see it as a bit hypocritical for people who don't believe in pre marital sex to disagree. You can with the choice in partner but can you really with the marriage? and are we not all created in God's image? It confuses me.
- Religious Terrorism.--That's nothing new. Hitler, Cotton Mather, Andrew Jackson. It's been going on for ages. There's just better news coverage now days.
- High rate or divorce.--Society is crumbling. We have no respect for ourselves anymore. It's a Jerry Springer universe. Why would we have any respect for the sanctity of marriage?
- Abortion.--Hmmmmmmmmmm. I am pro life unless it is medically necessary to terminate the pregnancy. Sad
- High Teen Pregnancy.--See high divorce rate and add in the fact that our children have become coddled and spoiled due to the fact that we are no longer allowed to discipline them.
- Animal Rights.--Sometimes they have more than we do. But then again we don't always deserve rights. Right Michael Vick(sp?)?
- Single Parenting.--I was a single parent for quite a while. It takes a village to raise a child married or not. no one does it completely alone.
- Violence--Doesn't solve anything. It may serve an immediate childish impulse but in the end it serves only to show who the bigger bully is.

Your turn...anyone?
06-24-2011, 09:17 PM
(06-24-2011 07:47 PM)Root of Jesse Wrote:  - Homosexual marriage/homosexual rights.

I don't believe that marriage should be recognized by the government in any form at all. But, in accordance with the 14th amendment (which guarantees all citizens equal protection under the law), any rights granted to straights must also be granted to gays. So if the government is to recognize straight marriages, it should be morally and legally obligated to recognize gay marriages as well.

Quote:- High rate or divorce.

I don't see this as a problem.

Quote:- Abortion.

Personal decision, none of the government's goddamn business.

Quote:- High Teen Pregnancy.

Teen pregnancy rates have been steadily decreasing for quite some time.
The best way to combat teen pregnancy is with comprehensive sex ed and easy availability of contraceptives.

Quote:- Single Parenting.

Another non-issue.

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
06-24-2011, 09:24 PM
The only thing I don't agree completely with is your view on divorce rates. Abortion is too personal of a thing to really argue. But I see the divorce rate as being a problem for the mere fact that I see alot of people not respecting their relationships/spouse or rushing into things. The world generally lacks any sort of discipline.
06-24-2011, 09:28 PM
(06-24-2011 09:24 PM)Jeizzavelle Wrote:  The only thing I don't agree completely with is your view on divorce rates. Abortion is too personal of a thing to really argue. But I see the divorce rate as being a problem for the mere fact that I see alot of people not respecting their relationships/spouse or rushing into things. The world generally lacks any sort of discipline.

People change over time. Laws and social norms should reflect this. It would be great if disney-style-true-love-which-conquers-all was real, but it's not. There are some people who genuinely are such a great match that they are genuinely happy together forever. But there are a lot of people who, as they grow and change, drift apart. Such couple should not be forced to stay together.

-Ann Druyan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jainism, sallekhana and the Indian state Visqueen 10 1,498 08-31-2015 01:29 PM
Last Post: Senthil
  The seperation of church and state is not just an atheist's wish. Butterfly Christie 75 6,121 09-29-2012 09:03 AM
Last Post: Proverbs 3:5-7
  Does the Church have the right to discriminate over and above the state standards? Greatest I am 24 3,192 09-21-2012 10:59 AM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  The Epoch Times and Other Falun Gong Websites Violate the Laws of the United States G scoot 0 483 04-21-2012 05:27 PM
Last Post: scoot
  Is the United States , America, or in North America with Mexico and Canada Sinnful Hypocrite 4 670 03-21-2012 06:22 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  State Laws are sent by Zolt (deism) Guide of Zolt 5 1,563 09-10-2009 11:59 AM
Last Post: GTseng3

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)