Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The fate of the moon in the Holy Quran and science
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2010 04:16 PM by Parousia.)
The fate of the moon in the Holy Quran and science
Post erased. Large Copy/Paste from another web site with no discussion is spamming. Even if you give the link.

- Parousia
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
RE: The fate of the moon in the Holy Quran and science
"Folding Up" is a very poor metaphor. I think Allah really did not have a good handle on the Arabic language.

I jest, of course, but the point is this verse says nothing. It is far to vague to be any sort of predictor. In addition, this is hardly the earliest example of a myth that involves the sun going out. The sun is a big light. It's only natural to think the sun going out would be the end of the world. The Egyptians had a similar myth (though theirs involved the sun not rising if Ra lost his nightly battle against Apep,) and there are countless other examples.

This verse gives absolutely no evidence as to the rightness of the Quran.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-13-2010, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2010 04:14 PM by Phill.)
Allah also thought the moon and sun was flat like paper and could be crumpled up. Thats what this verse means. Allah also thought the sun was smaller than the earth and that it revolves around the Earth, not the opposite as true science shows.
01-13-2010, 04:18 PM
(01-13-2010 04:13 PM)Phill Wrote:  ...Allah also thought the sun was smaller than the earth and that it revolves around the Earth, not the opposite as true science shows.

What is your source on this?

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
01-13-2010, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2010 04:28 PM by Ahmadi.)
I am not talking about abd allah's post, I have not reviewed the link. This is pertaining to GTseng3 post.

GTseng3! I joined the forum yesterday. I have not read enough of your posts yet, but I like many of your comments, and obviously on reputation scale you are '13.' Let me invite you to read one book by Maurice Bucaille. I realize that you are an atheist. I just want to open a possibility for you.

Let me say that if there is a God and if for Him past, present and future are simultaneous, then to assume that His revelation should be completely in keeping with genuine scientific findings, is no stretch at all, but is rather self evident. As His 'work' that is nature cannot contradict what is His word or the scripture. 'Truth cannot contradict the truth' was originally said by Pope John Paul II. What he said was right but he had the wrong choice of the scripture, but that is not the issue here.

The limitation is that all the independent thinkers in the West are burnt by the limitations and unwarranted claims about the Bible. The Holy Quran, in contrast may be true in its claims. It claims to be literal word of God and historically has been precisely preserved. Obviously, I do not expect that you are going to take my words for it. I just want you to create a possibility that it is not Bible, it is different.

The book I have in mind for you is 'the Bible the Quran and Science.' Bucaille was a French surgeon. The book is online:

http://home.swipnet.se/islam/quran-bible.htm

This book could be considered all time best seller among the Muslims. If nothing else you will know more about the psyche of a billion Muslims. Hopefully you will indulge me enough to at least browse the book.
01-13-2010, 04:33 PM
My book list, regrettably, is very long right now (currently I'm reading a fascinating book about the origins and evolution of monsters in myth and fairy tales, and after that I have a great book on the Albigensian heresy), so I do not know if I will be able to get to this anytime soon. But thank you for the link.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-13-2010, 05:23 PM
OK at least you know about it now, whenever time constraints allow. Looking at your book selection reminded me of a 36 lecture course by the Teaching Company:

The Catholic Church: A History

Course No. 6640 (36 lectures, 30 minutes/lecture)

Taught by William R. Cook
State University of New York at Geneseo
Ph.D., Cornell University

I am listening to these now and got to lecture 20, he covered the Albigensian heresy, but all the heresies are muddled in my mind now. William R. Cook seems to be a devout Catholic but does give enough insight, that is helpful to the non-believers.
01-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Ahmadi,

On a slightly separate note, I've just read the rep that Stereo has given you. I'm not so sure on the phrasing of his compliment, but the thought is there and I agree with it.

I'm enjoying reading your posts, as you seem open minded and well read. I look forward to trying to engage you in discussion soon. Thanks for joining us, I hope you stick around.

As you were gentlemen!
01-13-2010, 09:21 PM
(01-13-2010 04:18 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  
(01-13-2010 04:13 PM)Phill Wrote:  ...Allah also thought the sun was smaller than the earth and that it revolves around the Earth, not the opposite as true science shows.

What is your source on this?

Sun smalller than earth: The Qur’an 18:83-98 "it set in a spring of muddy water. (would have to be small to do that on earth)
Geocentric Earth :

The Qur’an talks of the earth in terms as if it were stationary, with the sun and stars moving around the earth (Qur’an 2:258; 21:33; 36:40; 52:49; 53:1). "It is he who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon: all (celestial bodies) swim along, each in it's rounded course" (21:33). We know today that the sun is far bigger than the earth, and is drawing the round earth in it's orbit.

This shows that Allah thought everthing moved around the Earth as we are the centre.

Hope this answers your question
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
(01-13-2010 09:21 PM)Phill Wrote:  ...Hope this answers your question

Yes, it does, thanks.

Of course Muslims will say that Mohammed was simply using phenomenological imagery, and not intending to be taken literally on those points. The same would apply to their "clots of blood" descriptions of the fetus.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The two earthly known books, the holy bible and the holy quran, are they the same? Daniel Smartone 133 7,656 11-04-2013 05:01 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  Comparative Statements of the Quran and the Holy Bible makahiya 2 981 10-17-2013 10:31 AM
Last Post: makahiya
  Do you believe in fate (decree)?? omshebeeb 20 2,150 06-09-2012 02:44 PM
Last Post: Mada
  Quran Leaning: Understanding Quran Is What It Takes To Be A Momin! Manahel.Fatima 10 2,166 06-08-2011 10:46 AM
Last Post: IMtM
  Which does the moon orbit, the chicken or the egg? jm44 1 537 03-21-2011 11:12 AM
Last Post: kevlar
  and the Moon shall turn to blood... biomystic 25 3,170 12-21-2010 02:49 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  Splitting of the Moon in the Quran as a sign of Day of Judgment, NASA video Isa 32 11,804 11-24-2010 10:34 PM
Last Post: aalgasim
  Old miracle for the prophet Mohammed(moon split) sesame 6 3,948 09-19-2010 08:41 AM
Last Post: iholdit
  The Holy Quran and the human body abd allah 2 901 02-21-2010 10:10 PM
Last Post: biomystic
  Translations of the Holy Quran Ahmadi 18 2,457 02-19-2010 10:41 AM
Last Post: TruthWon

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)