Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The obscure systems of the far East (Including Shinto)
04-07-2010, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2010 03:00 AM by Kangan.)
The obscure systems of the far East (Including Shinto)
I would like some clarification on how exactly people think of these. I have no argument (but one is in the works), and would simply like to see the views of this forum on this subject. For the sake of simplicity, we can include "paths of philosophy", such as (some forms of) Buddhism and Confucianism, Taoism, etc. ALL systems of the east can be debated upon. Please include your own modified versions of these views (if you have any, of course.)

I have but one specific request: i would like to see your views on Shintoism. I am not technically Shintoist, though many of my "voyages through my mind" have brought me close to being Ko-Shinto, or ancient Shintoist, and therefore would like to gain a closer look at the common outlook of it.

I mean no harm! And thank you!

EDIT: (i fully realize that you have delved deep into several of these religions already... any religions that have been heavily debated upon can be excluded from your post if you so desire.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
RE: The obscure systems of the far East (Including Shinto)
This thread has my attention, but I'm not sure where to go from the OP. I've read a bit on the Kami and on Shintoism, and it's one of the many mythologies that I've taken an interest in. As for how it relates to forms of heathenism in the west, I think it is essentially "pagan" in all the same ways. I recall a story from a book I could retrieve back home about some Odinistic or Asatru group in the UK that was contacted by a Shinto Priest, or Hoshi, or some such title. Basically, they received a letter wishing them good luck reconnecting with 'the Kami".

Shinto to me is essentially what I wish parts of Europe still had- an unbroken tradition shaped by their ancestor's relationships with deities and local spirits.

The defining differences are more complicated. I beleive that Eastern religions have become philosophically influenced, just as the western beliefs are to an extent. Take for example the bond between Chinese folk religion and Taoism. Buddhism too, has intermixed with a lot of the theology. It appears to me that in the west, philosophy replaced tradition, whereas in the east they coexisted or even merged. Just some general, sleepy-minded musings for you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Shinto Visqueen 3 1,004 04-15-2012 01:04 PM
Last Post: jrpurdon

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)