Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The word nonreligious theist and the poetry of the English language
08-09-2013, 12:23 AM
The word nonreligious theist and the poetry of the English language
Nonreligious Theist – the poetry of the English language. I came across a fascinating debate on whether a nonreligious theist really could exist. This debate reminded me of how poetic the English language can be where we have written definitions for words as well as imagery of words which is used in poetry and creative writing. The problem for someone new to a forum is to be careful about the use of a word based on our own imagery of that word. There are members of a forum who seem to take great pride in pointing out that your use differs from the actual definition. It is of course important in communication in a forum to use correct definitions to avoid confusion. This all made me try to think of an example with the definitions of nonreligious and theist in a combination. I looked at least one previous debate in this forum that talked about this but either missed could not locate an example of one. The definitions I looked up included.
1. Theist - belief in the existence of a god or gods
2. Religion – a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
The only one I could think of were examples of some of the Deists who believed in a god who set the universe in motion and has no other interaction with this world. – the idea of a clock maker with a very long lasting spring to keep it going. There were deists who still had a concept of afterlife and that god should be worshiped so not all deists fit. Most seemed frustrated with an organized religion. If there are any other examples I would like to know.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: The word nonreligious theist and the poetry of the English language
Non-religious Theists definitely exist. I've personally spoken to a number of people who say things like "I believe there is a God, but I don't really go along with what any of the Churches say", which for me would be pretty much the dictionary definition of a non-religious Theist. It actually seems to be an increasingly popular option over here, where a largely secular society sees organised religion as being a bit silly, but people still have a tendency towards a supernatural source of spirituality, and default to "God" as the most culturally standard option.
08-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Right like Painkiller said it is anyone who believes in god but doesn't hold to any of the organized religions. A Deist could fall into this group as well in a way though not all of them would.

Going to church just isn't a big deal to some people over here like it used to be.
08-09-2013, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 01:17 PM by ethelwulf.)
(08-09-2013 10:09 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  Non-religious Theists definitely exist. I've personally spoken to a number of people who say things like "I believe there is a God, but I don't really go along with what any of the Churches say", which for me would be pretty much the dictionary definition of a non-religious Theist. It actually seems to be an increasingly popular option over here, where a largely secular society sees organised religion as being a bit silly, but people still have a tendency towards a supernatural source of spirituality, and default to "God" as the most culturally standard option.

But organized religion is but one aspect of religion or to be religious. Many people do not belong to a church or organized system but still carry out religious acts by themselves. It would be hard for instance to believe a Christian would not see himself as religious or having religion. They would most likely be devotional and have moral values and by saying they are Christian they must be saying they believe in god. They also would have a set of beliefs, even if they may be different from a specific organized religion sect. They would still fit the definition of religion.
(08-09-2013 10:18 AM)Leosnake Wrote:  Right like Painkiller said it is anyone who believes in god but doesn't hold to any of the organized religions. A Deist could fall into this group as well in a way though not all of them would.

Going to church just isn't a big deal to some people over here like it used to be.

I agree with what you are saying about organized religion but the term was nonreligious theist. You can have religion without being connected with a specific organized religion. The only case I could find was some of the deists who held that god starts the universe then lets it go without any further interaction. But even though there were some deists who believed that not all did and many deists also had some degree of religion in their beliefs. I could not think of another group that would fit nonreligious theist and wondered if anyone else did.
08-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Someone who doesn't believe God just created the universe than left but also doesn't hold to any of the organized religions?

Say someone who simply believes if you are a good person that is enough and all god will judge you on so there is no need to be overly religious and go to an organized religion?

Just two ideas that come to mind that tend to go together in some cases.
08-10-2013, 05:38 PM
(08-10-2013 03:31 PM)Leosnake Wrote:  Someone who doesn't believe God just created the universe than left but also doesn't hold to any of the organized religions?

Say someone who simply believes if you are a good person that is enough and all god will judge you on so there is no need to be overly religious and go to an organized religion?

Just two ideas that come to mind that tend to go together in some cases.

Thanx for the input. I had difficulty connecting those two words as opposed to a religious atheist. What I learned from trying to come up with examples is how careful you need to be with definitions. I learned quickly after joining the forum how we have two aspects to words for ourselves. One is the definition we learned and the other is our image of the word learned from experience. The word religion often creates an image of organized religions or over zealous religious leaders as examples. Atheist often is associated with images of a critical intellectual who questions everything as an example. The word pagan as I have found out creates an extreme number of varied images. The English language is good at using imagery to go beyond just words to create meaning but in a forum it is helpful to remember the actual definition devoid of our images of a word.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is Music the language of the gods and angels? Azoth 63 6,373 08-22-2015 02:15 PM
Last Post: RationalMagick
  QURAN in Modern English Here titani 3 451 08-22-2014 04:31 PM
Last Post: Visqueen
  In Search of the holy language! Starburst 30 2,317 03-06-2014 04:42 PM
Last Post: Starburst
  Extra-Terrestrials/Humans attempt to decode Universal Language lovenifest 84 7,434 10-01-2013 01:44 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  A holy language. Starburst 20 2,256 09-16-2013 01:03 PM
Last Post: Starburst
  Why I Am An Anti-Theist Secular Hobbit 53 3,078 07-03-2012 10:08 AM
Last Post: Secular Hobbit
  Join another nonreligious site Sinnful Hypocrite 9 1,242 04-03-2012 09:34 AM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Theist. Who is your Lord and Monarch? Satan or Jesus? Greatest I am 16 1,671 11-07-2011 10:03 AM
Last Post: kevlar
  Atheist: from a Theist point of view EqualAtheist 45 8,434 03-24-2011 06:41 AM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  English Yefet 55 6,513 02-01-2011 01:16 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)