Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Theoretical Question
04-02-2009, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2009 01:48 PM by Annolennar.)
Theoretical Question
I have a question for any Christian who cares to answer (and to some extent anyone else, though the question might need to be reformulated to fit your beliefs).

Lets say you have a Muslim friend who loves God, really believes that Islam is the true faith, and is happy with being a Muslim, but through some twist of fate, you somehow get to influence his religious identity. What would you rather:

A) He follow his conscience, and remain a Muslim.

or

B) Do something he feels to be wrong, and convert to Christianity.

-

Now, obviously the optimum situation would be that he feel that Christianity is correct, and want to convert, but thats not an option. Choose one of the two choices and explain why.

If you want, switch out religions and adjust accordingly, but I used this one because of the particular relationship between Islam and Christianity.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2009, 03:52 PM
RE: Theoretical Question
I think this largely depends on the type of Muslim he is. Assuming he is a tolerant Muslim, not one to force his religion on others, nor one to evangelize or proselytize, then I would rather he follow his conscience than become an atheist, because unless you're truly willing to make that leap and live without being shackled to God atheism will make you pretty miserable.

On the other hand, if he is intolerant of others, and if he is a Muslim who is constantly trying to push his beliefs on others and convert them, then I would rather him be an unhappy atheist than continue to propagate religion through people who might otherwise think better.
04-02-2009, 04:08 PM
I would choose option A. I may not agree with someone's particular faith, but it's theirs to choose. You can't embrace a faith if you feel it is wrong.

I would certainly share my faith with them and do whatever I could, but if you are forced into something, anything, it's not a willful act. One of the basics of Christianity is free will. The choice. Salvation is personal and individual. You cannot be given it by your parents, best friend or pastor/preacher/bishop, etc. You can lead a person, but ultimately, the decision is theirs.

I can respect someone for their beliefs, no matter how different they are from mine. I'd rather see someone believing in something, whether Christianity, Atheism, or the Eastern philosophies, than in nothing at all.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
(04-02-2009 01:47 PM)Annolennar Wrote:  Lets say you have a Muslim friend who loves God, really believes that Islam is the true faith, and is happy with being a Muslim, but through some twist of fate, you somehow get to influence his religious identity. What would you rather:

If s/he loves Allah/God and is happy (spiritually fulfilled/content) being a Muslim, more power to her/him. We both love God. I would simply strive to live my life as a Christian. I do not feel a need to proselytize those of other religious persuasions.

monk
Episcopal/Anglican/Religion Community
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2009, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2009 10:55 AM by Anglican.)
(04-02-2009 01:47 PM)Annolennar Wrote:  I have a question for any Christian who cares to answer (and to some extent anyone else, though the question might need to be reformulated to fit your beliefs).

Lets say you have a Muslim friend who loves God, really believes that Islam is the true faith, and is happy with being a Muslim, but through some twist of fate, you somehow get to influence his religious identity. What would you rather:

or

B) Do something he feels to be wrong, and convert to Christianity.

I think Paul said somewhere, whatever is not of faith is sin. Therefore A. (Pretty well unanimous it would seem.)
-
04-08-2009, 12:16 AM
I think that even if you were to chose B, he wouldn't truly be christian if he felt it was wrong.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
A, please.

There is no salvation in suffering.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
04-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Well, shucks, all the sensible people are responding. I was hoping to get some of the more zealous people of all religious and a-religious persuasions in here and start a lively debate! Big Grin

Alas, this is a problem I am pleased to have.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
04-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Heh. Well, I did say B if the person was a pushy and intolerant Muslim, but really that's just saying I'd rather him be B so that more people could be A.

But see, you ask this question of anyone but the most backwards, inbred fanatics and they'll say A. Because everyone instinctively knows that A is what they SHOULD say. The question is, what do they really believe? When it gets right down to it, how do they treat Muslims? I'm in the Bible Belt here in SW USA, and most people here would say A (except for the Rednecks, but then they say all sorts of idiotic crap.) But they still think Muslims are inherently dangerous, they'll say Islam is a religion of violence, and they'll treat Muslims with suspicion. Is that really A?
04-10-2009, 11:49 AM
O' ye of little faith! Have you no regard for your fellow man, GT? Is it really so naive to assume the people who say A sincerely mean it?
=P

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)