Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
They've done it.
02-24-2010, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2010 05:09 PM by Holy Babylon.)
They've done it.
The people have finally chose to ruin Classical Literature *sigh* looks like video gamers will never know the true story that Dante presents after all...

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/dantes-inf...3935924086

I only heard rumours, but I heard some kids at school talking about it. What's next? Gilgamesh? There is so much to process when it comes to Dante and now they've taken his literature, smashed it into pieces, kept a few names, kept Hell, and put it onto a disc. This is sad, whatever happened to reading?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2010, 05:40 PM
RE: They've done it.
I disagree. Although I love the classics and see much value in reading them, the advent of technology has caused a great decline in 'book' reading that is unfortunately here to stay. Converting works such as 'the inferno' to a digital media can only serve to bring that which has been all but forgotten by the common man back into the light. Maybe, just maybe, a few kids will be sparked to actually READ based off the interest generated.
02-24-2010, 07:11 PM
But when they start to actually read it, they're going to get bored of it and probably only read it in a sense of looking up summaries on the internet. From what I've read, they've butchered the entire story and made Dante into a typical video game character. They're putting action into things that are good enough without it.
02-24-2010, 10:24 PM
(02-24-2010 05:08 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  The people have finally chose to ruin Classical Literature *sigh* looks like video gamers will never know the true story that Dante presents after all...

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/dantes-inf...3935924086

I only heard rumours, but I heard some kids at school talking about it. What's next? Gilgamesh? There is so much to process when it comes to Dante and now they've taken his literature, smashed it into pieces, kept a few names, kept Hell, and put it onto a disc. This is sad, whatever happened to reading?

I disagree -- most gamers, at least the ones I know, and I am a pretty hard core gamer myself, have all read the classics, or at least have a grounding in what they'e about. In fact, once, during a gigantic Silent Hill 2-day run, we discussed the philosophical impact of Dante's Inferno on the Catholic church and history.

If it hasn't already been ruined by other video games, it won't be by this.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
02-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Possibly not, but I have gone over the Inferno so many times and made so many footnotes. It just ruins me to see this happening, haha.
03-09-2010, 12:47 AM
I read The Inferno when I was in college. I have also played the recent game. It was pretty fun overall.

I laughed out loud several times at the sheer ridiculousness of the adaptations made to port the story for the video game. Basically, Dante is now a soldier of the crusades murdered by a Muslim assassin during a battle. Death attempts to take him to hell to atone for his sins. Dante refuses, beats the crap out of Death, steals his magic scythe, and travels to the underworld. The soul of Beatrice has been wrongfully damned and Dante fights through the circles of hell so that he might free her soul and grant it the salvation it deserves.

Satan is the final boss fight, and visually, it looked as though they drew a lot on The Inferno for his image, so that was pretty cool to see. As far as final boss fights go, however, his was pretty lame. Especially for someone who's supposed to be the prince of darkness.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
(03-09-2010 12:47 AM)karma_sleeper Wrote:  I read The Inferno when I was in college. I have also played the recent game. It was pretty fun overall.

I laughed out loud several times at the sheer ridiculousness of the adaptations made to port the story for the video game. Basically, Dante is now a soldier of the crusades murdered by a Muslim assassin during a battle. Death attempts to take him to hell to atone for his sins. Dante refuses, beats the crap out of Death, steals his magic scythe, and travels to the underworld. The soul of Beatrice has been wrongfully damned and Dante fights through the circles of hell so that he might free her soul and grant it the salvation it deserves.

Satan is the final boss fight, and visually, it looked as though they drew a lot on The Inferno for his image, so that was pretty cool to see. As far as final boss fights go, however, his was pretty lame. Especially for someone who's supposed to be the prince of darkness.
:| "....." Wow, they really have murdered the book, it's worse than I have thought.
03-09-2010, 09:57 PM
If you think that's bad, wait until you see what they have in mind for the DLC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHqgHxNmxnQ

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
03-10-2010, 06:47 PM
What the...Oh my gosh. There is no way they are going this far.
03-11-2010, 04:50 AM
I heard about this game from my English professor when we were reading Dante's Inferno, and I decided to take a look. My low expectations were confirmed. It's like the Alice in Wonderland Movie; if you're going to try to make something original, then make it original. Don't borrow a famous title just to use it as a springboard!

I was however very entertained by the zero punctuation game review.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)