Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tripitaka - Pali Canon
10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Tripitaka - Pali Canon
Where can I buy a full translayed pali canon. I undersatnd that it's divided into three baskets but I'm unsure of how it is divided after that. Is it put into books then chapters then verses like the bible? Some websites were saying I'd have to learn pali and others were saying it'd cost me £2000 to buy them all. Please help...

By the way I'm in the UK.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2010, 11:09 AM
RE: Tripitaka - Pali Canon
(10-13-2009 12:27 PM)XxXHjJXxX Wrote:  Where can I buy a full translayed pali canon. I undersatnd that it's divided into three baskets but I'm unsure of how it is divided after that. Is it put into books then chapters then verses like the bible? Some websites were saying I'd have to learn pali and others were saying it'd cost me £2000 to buy them all. Please help...

By the way I'm in the UK.

You can freely access the translated Pali Canon online at:

http://www.palicanon.org

You must register first, but it's free to do so.

Not all of the texts are there, but it's a work in progress.
10-05-2010, 01:46 AM
The Tripitaka is the earliest collections of Buddhist scripture. There are several versions, the oldest and most complete of which is called the Pali Canon.It is believed the many texts within the Tripitaka are the words of the historical Buddha as memorized and chanted by generations of monks.he texts of the Tripitaka are organized into three major sections:The Vinaya-pitaka,Sutra-pitaka, and the Abhidharma-pitaka.It is great to see.

12-08-2010, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2010 04:00 AM by hugist.)
Unfortunately, all the Buddhist scriptures were written hundreds of years after this death. Telling illiterate monks, known for fasting until hallucination, to memorize Buddha's teaching was not a good idea. Buddha was an educated prince.
07-08-2011, 01:07 PM
@hugist

Man.. do you know how many monks made this Tipitaka? They are 500 of em and all of em are Arahats including Ananda O.O. Even a single Arahat can remember all the memory inside from the first time they born, when they rebirth and all what buddha taught he can remember em all O.O. Its impossible for 500 Arahats to miss literate the teaching.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)