Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Truth and Beauty...
06-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Truth and Beauty...
Which do you think is more important/valuable: Truth or beauty?

My first inclination is to say truth. However, I think many of us can agree that no one can know absolutely whether or not God exists. What are we to believe, then? How are we to decide? We can search out the little evidence there is, but it can only take us so far. To some, the existence/non-existence of God is obvious. But to me, it really isn't obvious. I can honestly choose to believe God exists, and I can honestly choose to believe he doesn't exist.

My point is: The truth concerning God's existence is out there somewhere. But since I can't attain it, the truth is hazy, and my perception and knowledge of it can never be absolute.

So does it really matter what is true or not? To me, religion is far more beautiful than atheism, and whether it's true or not, I choose to believe there's a God because it's beautiful. I can KNOW what is beautiful, I can't KNOW what it true.

Well, there's some random thoughts that have been on my mind for awhile... What are your thoughts? Why do you choose to believe/not to believe in God? Do you think you honestly have a choice in the matter?

"The pictures in his mind arose/And began to breathe./And all the gods of all the worlds/Began colliding on a/Backdrop of Blue."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2010, 03:40 AM
RE: Truth and Beauty...
Beauty (in the Qabalistic sense) embodies truth, and so would be paramount in my mind. See the meaning of 65.
06-17-2010, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2010 07:20 AM by digipixel.)
(06-16-2010 07:10 PM)Backdrop of Blue Wrote:  Which do you think is more important/valuable: Truth or beauty?

My first inclination is to say truth. However, I think many of us can agree that no one can know absolutely whether or not God exists. What are we to believe, then? How are we to decide? We can search out the little evidence there is, but it can only take us so far. To some, the existence/non-existence of God is obvious. But to me, it really isn't obvious. I can honestly choose to believe God exists, and I can honestly choose to believe he doesn't exist.

A couple of thoughts:
First, I don't believe that you can easily prioritize truth and beauty. Beauty, to some extent is very subjective and what is beautiful to some may not be to others.

Second, (and this comment will make some here apoplectic), truth is also subjective, at least in the religious sense. One faith or another always claims to have or to know the ultimate truth about God, salvation, etc.

(06-16-2010 07:10 PM)Backdrop of Blue Wrote:  My point is: The truth concerning God's existence is out there somewhere. But since I can't attain it, the truth is hazy, and my perception and knowledge of it can never be absolute.

Yes, I do believe there is an Ultimate Truth out there, somewhere, but we as humans will never know ALL of it. We may only catch glimpses of it from time to time. Some would say this is where faith comes in to fill the gap in our knowledge. But faith must have a starting point, a place where we nail a stake in the ground and say, the view from here is a nice place to start. I like what I see, and even though I cannot see what is over the hill, or inside the forest, my faith will guide me from here.

My caution is this: when you drive the stake in the ground to claim your starting point for faith, don't also nail your foot to the ground, or chain yourself to the stake. Don't switch off your God-given gift of intellect and curiosity. Keep asking questions. Keep searching for the truth. And finally, don't be afraid or ashamed to pull up your stake and continue your search. New teachers will appear in your life when you are ready for them.

(06-16-2010 07:10 PM)Backdrop of Blue Wrote:  So does it really matter what is true or not? To me, religion is far more beautiful than atheism, and whether it's true or not, I choose to believe there's a God because it's beautiful. I can KNOW what is beautiful, I can't KNOW what it true.

Well, there's some random thoughts that have been on my mind for awhile... What are your thoughts? Why do you choose to believe/not to believe in God? Do you think you honestly have a choice in the matter?

Your comment above is right on target when you said, "To me, religion is far more beautiful than atheism, and whether it's true or not, I choose to believe there's a God because it's beautiful."
You realize that your view of beauty is subjective, and an atheist will most likely disagree with you and say that theism is abhorrent, or at least an incorrect view of the world. Others atheists will care less one way or another.

Only you can know what is beautiful to you. Only you can see what is true for you.
06-17-2010, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2010 07:31 AM by may.)
Jehovah, the God of Truth.
Jehovah is “the God of truth.” (Ps 31:5)

Like his Father Jehovah, Jesus Christ is “full of undeserved kindness and truth.” (Joh 1:14; Eph 4:21)

While on earth, he always spoke the truth as he had received it from his Father. (Joh 8:40, 45, 46)

“The Spirit of the Truth.” The spirit that proceeds from Jehovah God is pure and holy. It is “the spirit of the truth.” (Joh 14:17; 15:26)

God’s Word Is Truth.
God’s Word presents things as they really are, revealing Jehovah’s attributes, purposes, and commands, as well as the true state of affairs among mankind.
God’s Word of truth shows what is required for one to be sanctified or made holy, set apart for use by Jehovah in his service, and then to remain in a sanctified state. Hence, Jesus could pray respecting his followers: “Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.” (Joh 17:17; compare Jas 1:18.)

‘Walking in the Truth.’ Those who desire to gain God’s approval should walk in his truth and serve him in truth.
(Jos 24:14; 1Sa 12:24; Ps 25:4, 5; 26:3-6; 43:3; 86:11; Isa 38:3)

Christianity is “the way of the truth” (2Pe 2:2),

“A Pillar and Support of the Truth.”
The Christian congregation serves as “a pillar and support of the truth,” preserving the purity of the truth and defending and upholding it. (1Ti 3:15)

For the Christian congregation to be “a pillar and support of the truth,” the members thereof must, through fine conduct, manifest the truth in their lives. (Eph 5:9) They have to be consistent and undeviating in right conduct, as if “girded about with truth.” (Eph 6:14)
beauty

The Bible assures us that the Creator, Jehovah God, places great value upon inner beauty.

When Jehovah told the prophet Samuel to choose a king for Israel from among the sons of Jesse, the prophet was drawn to the handsome Eliab. “He has to be the one the Lord has chosen,” Samuel said. But Jehovah said to Samuel: “Don’t think Eliab is the one just because he’s tall and handsome. He isn’t the one I’ve chosen. People judge others by what they look like, but I judge people by what is in their hearts.”—1 Samuel 16:6, 7, Contemporary English Version.
The Bible says: “Charm may be false, and prettiness may be vain; but the woman that fears Jehovah is the one that procures praise for herself.” In contrast, the Scriptures warn: “As a gold nose ring in the snout of a pig, so is a woman that is pretty but that is turning away from sensibleness.”—Proverbs 11:22; 31:30.
06-17-2010, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2010 07:35 AM by digipixel.)
(06-17-2010 07:26 AM)may Wrote:  Jehovah, the God of Truth.

Like his Father Jehovah, Jesus Christ is “full of undeserved kindness and truth.” (Joh 1:14; Eph 4:21)

While on earth, he always spoke the truth as he had received it from his Father. (Joh 8:40, 45, 46)

“The Spirit of the Truth.” The spirit that proceeds from Jehovah God is pure and holy. It is “the spirit of the truth.” (Joh 14:17; 15:26)

God’s Word Is Truth.
God’s Word presents things as they really are, revealing Jehovah’s attributes, purposes, and commands, as well as the true state of affairs among mankind.
God’s Word of truth shows what is required for one to be sanctified or made holy, set apart for use by Jehovah in his service, and then to remain in a sanctified state. Hence, Jesus could pray respecting his followers: “Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.” (Joh 17:17; compare Jas 1:18.)

‘Walking in the Truth.’ Those who desire to gain God’s approval should walk in his truth and serve him in truth.

The Christian congregation serves as “a pillar and support of the truth,” preserving the purity of the truth and defending and upholding it. (1Ti 3:15)

For the Christian congregation to be “a pillar and support of the truth,” the members thereof must, through fine conduct, manifest the truth in their lives. (Eph 5:9) They have to be consistent and undeviating in right conduct, as if “girded about with truth.” (Eph 6:14)

May! Thank you. You just supported and proved the entire point of my previous post!

(And I do apologize for the mild alliteration. It was entirely unintentional.)
06-17-2010, 07:36 AM
(06-17-2010 07:32 AM)digipixel Wrote:  

God’s Word Is Truth.

May! Thank you. You just supported and proved the entire point of my previous post!

yes JEHOVAH certainly is the God of truth

He is faithful in all his dealings. His promises are sure, for he cannot lie. (Nu 23:19; 1Sa 15:29; Ps 89:35; Tit 1:2; Heb 6:17, 18)
06-17-2010, 07:39 AM
4,000 yr old fables, quoted with such conviction, always impress me Smile

????????????????
06-17-2010, 07:40 AM
(06-17-2010 07:36 AM)may Wrote:  
(06-17-2010 07:32 AM)digipixel Wrote:  

God’s Word Is Truth.

yes JEHOVAH certainly is the God of truth

He is faithful in all his dealings. His promises are sure, for he cannot lie. (Nu 23:19; 1Sa 15:29; Ps 89:35; Tit 1:2; Heb 6:17, 18)

As is Jesus, as is the Buddha, as is the Dalai Lama, etc., etc...
06-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Post# 3 digi.........................BRAVO

????????????????
06-17-2010, 07:44 AM
(06-17-2010 07:40 AM)kevlar Wrote:  Post# 3 digi.........................BRAVO

As always, thank you Kev. (deep bow, hands folded...) Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)