Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Violence/hatrid/importance of peace in bible?
08-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Violence/hatrid/importance of peace in bible?
hi,
I'm not a christain, but i'm having trouble locating references to violence and hatrid in the bible for a religion assesment (based on social justice). Basically, i have to find two sources in the bible (one new testement and one old testement) and a catholic teaching document on violence (which is my chosen topic - in particular the Rwanda genocides).

so far,
Old testement reference: 5th commandment (thou shall love thy neighbour)
New testement reference - ? (don't have one - struggling)

Catechism of the catholic church: 57 Scripture reveals the presence of anger and envy in man, consequences of original sin, from the beginning of human history. Man has become the enemy of his fellow man. God declares the wickedness of this fratricide: "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood is crying to me from the ground. And now you are cursed from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand."58

Please, im not asking you to do my assignment for meTongue, but asking for specific references (particulary in new testement as i have got my other references, but if you have anything better, that would be nice)

ThanksSmile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2009, 10:56 AM
RE: Violence/hatrid/importance of peace in bible?
Um, the 5th commandment is "Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother." It says nothing about your neighbor. It was a famous Rabbi who said of the Torah, "Love thy neighbor as thyself. The rest is commentary."

Jesus, on the other hand, said that the two greatest commandments are "Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, all thy soul, and all thy strength, and love thy neighbor as thyself." Then he went on to tell the parable of the Good Samaritan, expanding on who is a neighbor.

The New Testament, in general, has a lot more about love than the Old Testament. If you want violence and hatred, may I suggest a reference called the Skeptic's Annotated Bible, http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

Now this is vital - Do NOT take the SAB's word on things. It is a biased website, and dedicated to proving the Bible and Christianity to be both inaccurate and morally wrong. But it's a good starting point, if you click on their "Cruelty and Violence" link you'll get a nice list of verses that they have deemed to be unnecessarily cruel and violent. That's a good jumping off point, at that point though you need to trust your own judgment. They do helpfully provide a link to Christian rebuttal of their claims as well, so that might help.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-27-2009, 12:02 PM
The bible is a books of fiction. Do not waste time researching something so stupid.
09-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Even Richard Dawkins, noted atheist that he is, studies the bible. Why? Because western civilization is a christian culture. For better or for worse, without an understanding of the bible you cannot understand things like western literature, which uses biblical allegory and reference more than any other. In addition the bible is a fascinating historical document - like the Epic of Gilgamesh, Homer's Illiad and Odyssey, etc. Plus it's a vital historical record, since there are few other references in history to the Hebrew Empire (just barely enough for us to know that it existed.)

It's not divine, and you can leave all the god stuff out, but it is a historical document, and the history part is about as accurate as any other ancient history.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-30-2009, 01:11 AM
(08-02-2009 06:03 AM)tim123 Wrote:  hi,
I'm not a christain, but i'm having trouble locating references to violence and hatrid in the bible for a religion assesment (based on social justice). Basically, i have to find two sources in the bible (one new testement and one old testement) and a catholic teaching document on violence (which is my chosen topic - in particular the Rwanda genocides).

so far,
Old testement reference: 5th commandment (thou shall love thy neighbour)
New testement reference - ? (don't have one - struggling)

Catechism of the catholic church: 57 Scripture reveals the presence of anger and envy in man, consequences of original sin, from the beginning of human history. Man has become the enemy of his fellow man. God declares the wickedness of this fratricide: "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood is crying to me from the ground. And now you are cursed from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand."58

Please, im not asking you to do my assignment for meTongue, but asking for specific references (particulary in new testement as i have got my other references, but if you have anything better, that would be nice)

ThanksSmile

There's some stuff about Samson in the old testament that seems pretty violent.

There's the Eye for an Eye speech that Jesus gave where he says that you should turn the other check.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
10-03-2009, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2009 08:39 AM by Raphael.)
Confession of a Freemason

Quote:On the night of my initiation I was told that Freemasonry was founded on the Bible, and all its secrets were hidden therein. In my research work I discovered that the true secrets of Freemasonry were written in the stars and the book of nature, and a knowledge of astronomy and astrology was necessary to lift the allegorical veil. Upon obtaining this knowledge I discovered that the Bible was founded upon the same law as Freemasonry, i.e. the stars and a book of nature.
The Bible has been my chief textbook throughout this work, and, unlike Pythagoras and other philosophers, I am now offering my discoveries to the world.
-I. Edward Clark

what book is he referring to?
[Image: 31JH7Q8MAML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic..._OU01_.jpg]
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83136

namaste

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion
http://kachina2012.wordpress.com/about/
12-27-2009, 06:55 PM
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of the Daybreak (1) From the evil of that which He created; (2) From the evil of the darkness when it is intense, (3) And from the evil of malignant witchcraft, (4) And from the evil of the envier when he envieth. (5)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)