Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vodou Fete
12-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Vodou Fete
I think everyone knows how worship works, festivals work in the more popular or famous religions, but there's not a lot of information known about how worship works on a Vodou holiday, and, being bored on Sunday morning, I thought I'd share my experience on Friday yesterday, with a new House.

This group didn't have an actual peristyle, instead, the Mambo's basement had been converted into a peristyle, and was probably worth more than the rest of the house, the way it had been decorated and such.

There was a large table which had been filled with food for the lwa we were celebrating, and the altar had specially been prepared in his colors. There was some chatting (and some odd looks at the white girl) and socializing before everything was prepared, and then the drumming started, in the incredibly complex order it had to be, as the Mambo created the veve of the lwa in cornmeal on the ground, and then the Aksyon degras and Priye Ginen started (the ritual prayers that start the ceremony) which takes a looong time, depending on how excited you are and/or how elaborate the Mambo chooses to be.

Then the lwa are invited in to dance and eat and such. This can take awhile, before the spirit gets what is called "hot" and shows up, possessing one of their followers, which then in some circles, requires incredible amounts of testing to make sure that they aren't faking the possession, some groups do skip this.

Then the horsemen, the people possessed get to dance and interact with the rest of the children, and party a little (or a lot, if the Gede are involved), and it can get pretty wild, depending on how things go, and who visits. The possession is one of the most important things to a ritual, mostly because the religion is about communication with the lwa, those who have been elevated, and their aid and intercession to God.

So...yeah, there's a basic overview of a Vodou ceremony (or one that doesn't include sacrifice anyway.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2009, 11:07 AM
RE: Vodou Fete
Are you the white girl you mentioned? If so, that's ruined the mental image I had of you!

Interesting post though, thanks.
12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
RE: Vodou Fete
(12-06-2009 11:07 AM)Zagreus Wrote:  Are you the white girl you mentioned? If so, that's ruined the mental image I had of you!

Interesting post though, thanks.

Yeah, I know, most people on the internet have this idea of me being black, mostly because I was born and raised in Haiti and, well, practice Vodou, but yeah, my mum''s descended from plantation owners, back when it was Martinique.

And you're welcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What do You Know or Think You Know About Vodou? Clementine 24 1,355 05-19-2014 02:01 PM
Last Post: Clementine

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)