Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Voodoo Truths
05-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Voodoo Truths
The one thing that I want to clear up about, magic/voodoo/power/words, ect.

The thing is that with Voodoo, there is a person doing the voodoo. So, if you are like me, someone who is willing to do something to you has a reason for doing it. Well, Voodoo, or something like this would consist of rules. Certain aspects or attributes that cause one effect whereas others cause another. I think of voodoo like video game programming, you only do one thing in the case of something happening, otherwise you do something else.

Voodoo, in this way is interchangeable with feng-shui, because so long as you believe in getting rid of people who are wrong in existing there, you believe in the presence of voodoo, if anything, simply making it easier to make them leave.

The idea is to NOT mess up. Stay strait and you will never do anything that you don't want to do. Maybe, just sticking to peoples needs and wants, and THAN going it on your own, that is probably the easiest way to start practices like this. Lol, practices that unless you back all your ends up, youll just look a little weird not being perfect.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2010, 10:18 PM
RE: Voodoo Truths
Quote:The one thing that I want to clear up about, magic/voodoo/power/words, ect.

Voodoo has little to do with magic, sorry to burst your bubble. That's Hoodoo.

Quote:The thing is that with Voodoo, there is a person doing the voodoo.

One doesn't "do" Voodoo anymore than one "does" Christianity. Voodoo/Vodou/Vodun is a religion not a magical practice.

Quote:o, if you are like me, someone who is willing to do something to you has a reason for doing it. Well, Voodoo, or something like this would consist of rules.

"Doing something" to someone, especially for revenge is highly frowned upon.

Quote:Certain aspects or attributes that cause one effect whereas others cause another. I think of voodoo like video game programming, you only do one thing in the case of something happening, otherwise you do something else.

Voodoo, in this way is interchangeable with feng-shui, because so long as you believe in getting rid of people who are wrong in existing there, you believe in the presence of voodoo, if anything, simply making it easier to make them leave.

At this point, you're babbling, and what you're babbling about has nothing to do with the religion. There is no 'believing in getting rid of people."

Quote:The idea is to NOT mess up. Stay strait and you will never do anything that you don't want to do. Maybe, just sticking to peoples needs and wants, and THAN going it on your own, that is probably the easiest way to start practices like this. Lol, practices that unless you back all your ends up, youll just look a little weird not being perfect.

You are obviously on the Hollywood idea of Voodoo, which has no bearing on actual Voodoo practise. You cannot "start" Voodoo practise on your own, and you "start" by searching out Bondye.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
Find all posts by this user
05-03-2010, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2010 12:23 AM by lastmikvehlastDay.)
Quote:Certain aspects or attributes that cause one effect whereas others cause another. I think of voodoo like video game programming, you only do one thing in the case of something happening, otherwise you do something else.
[In] Voodoo so long as you believe in getting rid of people who are wrong in existing there, you believe in the presence of voodoo, if anything, simply making it easier to make them leave.
(05-02-2010 10:18 PM)Clementine Wrote:  At this point, you're babbling, and what you're babbling about has nothing to do with the religion. There is no 'believing in getting rid of people."

I am feeling in a playful mood so please take this in that spirit,. Yes, I dont know you well enough to joke with you like this but I cannot help it. See! I knew it was "Evil". (Sorry! My very inappropriate inside joke).

I am curious about if there is some confusion about "intent" within a ritual. And this is making Clementine mad ?
When you are dealing in mysticism and spirituality in our hemisphere there are not too many cases where you arent dealing with a cobbled together belief system from varying sources. This might led to confusion in some extreme cases.

Seriously .. Every misconception is a blessing in disguise. You have to force yourself to look at it in that light. Angel
05-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Jokes are always welcome. And I'm not mad, just frustrated.

My problem is the giant misconception going on here. He;s talking as if Vodou/Voodoo is a magical system, as if it is inherently about folk magic, which it isn't. Most vodouisants will never touch magic in their lives. It's more than just intent, it's boiling it down to something that it isn't. It's like if I said all Amish practices are about magic, because there are a few pow-wow healers out there. it's a harmful stereotype and it isn't accurate.

05-03-2010, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2010 01:26 AM by lastmikvehlastDay.)
hehehe
(05-03-2010 12:23 AM)Clementine Wrote:  ..it's boiling it down to something that it isn't.

'Clementine' you are preaching to the choir. I have to go through many religious studies. Especially online, "it isn't accurate" gripes my bottom too.
In Roman Catholicism you'll find people "praying to" various statues FOR PARTICULAR NEEDS. Maybe you should start on that level. Not fun but all too necessary,. Everyone can be the proverbial outsider looking in, I think. Kinda single out some particulars (Every misconception is a blessing in disguise).
05-03-2010, 01:30 AM
(05-03-2010 01:12 AM)lastmikvehlastDay Wrote:  hehehe
(05-03-2010 12:23 AM)Clementine Wrote:  ..it's boiling it down to something that it isn't.

'Clementine' you are preaching to the choir. I have to go through many religious studies. Especially online, "it isn't accurate" gripes my bottom too.
In Roman Catholicism you'll find people "praying to" various statues FOR PARTICULAR NEEDS. Maybe you should start on that level. Not fun but all too necessary,. Everyone can be the proverbial outsider looking in, I think. Kinda single out some particulars (Every misconception is a blessing in disguise).

Well, from someone raised Catholic, the saints are there as intercessors in Catholicism. In Vodou they're used as representations of the lwa.

And clearing up misconceptions is why I have the Q&A thread. Smile I do understand, it just feels like fighting the tide sometimes.

05-03-2010, 09:12 AM
(05-02-2010 10:18 PM)Clementine Wrote:  
Quote:The one thing that I want to clear up about, magic/voodoo/power/words, ect.

One doesn't "do" Voodoo anymore than one "does" Christianity. Voodoo/Vodou/Vodun is a religion not a magical practice.

Quote:o, if you are like me, someone who is willing to do something to you has a reason for doing it. Well, Voodoo, or something like this would consist of rules.

At this point, you're babbling, and what you're babbling about has nothing to do with the religion. There is no 'believing in getting rid of people."

Quote:The idea is to NOT mess up. Stay strait and you will never do anything that you don't want to do. Maybe, just sticking to peoples needs and wants, and THAN going it on your own, that is probably the easiest way to start practices like this. Lol, practices that unless you back all your ends up, youll just look a little weird not being perfect.

You are obviously on the Hollywood idea of Voodoo, which has no bearing on actual Voodoo practise. You cannot "start" Voodoo practise on your own, and you "start" by searching out Bondye.

Hoodoo!!! OH IM SO SORRY B!

You gotta say, your in charge here and theres no talk about what you know about! How about Voodoo, isn't what Im talking about!

MAGIC!!! AHAHAHAHA

umm. sorry. but I guess you don't know everything! there is, or at least used to be a migical side to the "religion" that brought you the torture doll!!!

HAHAHA!! OR DID YOU TAKE THAT AWAY???!!
05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
(05-03-2010 09:12 AM)azurescen Wrote:  

You gotta say, your in charge here and theres no talk about what you know about! How about Voodoo, isn't what Im talking about!

MAGIC!!! AHAHAHAHA

umm. sorry. but I guess you don't know everything! there is, or at least used to be a migical side to the "religion" that brought you the torture doll!!!

You mean the so-called "Voodoo doll?" That came about from EUROPEAN magic, occurs only in HOODOO, not Vodou, and for the majority of the time, has nothing to do with harming anyone. Stop watching movies.

It came from European poppet magic, not African. you see no use of it in Haiti or Benin, at least prior to before it became associated with the religion through propaganda.

05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
(05-03-2010 09:41 AM)Clementine Wrote:  
(05-03-2010 09:12 AM)azurescen Wrote:  

MAGIC!!! AHAHAHAHA

You mean the so-called "Voodoo doll?" That came about from EUROPEAN magic, occurs only in HOODOO, not Vodou, and for the majority of the time, has nothing to do with harming anyone. Stop watching movies.

It came from European poppet magic, not African. you see no use of it in Haiti or Benin, at least prior to before it became associated with the religion through propaganda.

Lol. Ya no, I know nothing. other than what I know....so thanx

but...I read up on Hoodoo, no longer do I care to seperate...scarry to think of how much these people have had to go through to keep strait. ANYWAYS!!! Voodoo is a major part of what the world sees as magic.

The use of the pulling a sheet from beneath glassware trick, THAT was originated by a Voodoo expert, maybe the last place they actually used magic, but, its a magic trick none the less. Such a simplified version of one, with the cloak of physical skills, that they used to skim through the difference between the evil spirit, and those people who used the evil spirit.

We have our lives to thank for Voodoo in this respect, because it showed us, or more like the people who did this exact act showed us, that not only was there an evil spirit in the world. But people of the planet who truly derived their own power from it.

Before the flood basically everyone was evil except certain people, and those poeple got scared. That fear brought about a savior at that time and yet he was on another planet. Black women, and one in particular, had vision of this planet and studied him. To see a man play Music for the first time.

This gave them hope because of the presence of Directed sound. The difference between playing FOR one person and everyone else, the idea is that the mind can be "influenced" by the self to be personalized. Like, simply, playing someone a song personally, instead of just the same song you have played a million times.

This eventually brought them to consorting with ancient spirits. Who said that it was not healthy for men to exist within the same relation as to a man and a woman. Homosexuality scared them to the point of cleansing the planet in this way. The way of good, the way of God....
05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:but...I read up on Hoodoo, no longer do I care to seperate...scarry to think of how much these people have had to go through to keep strait. ANYWAYS!!! Voodoo is a major part of what the world sees as magic.

Yes, it is, but that's not accurate, so one must fix the misconceptions.

Quote:The use of the pulling a sheet from beneath glassware trick, THAT was originated by a Voodoo expert, maybe the last place they actually used magic, but, its a magic trick none the less. Such a simplified version of one, with the cloak of physical skills, that they used to skim through the difference between the evil spirit, and those people who used the evil spirit.

Proof? Citations?

Quote:his eventually brought them to consorting with ancient spirits. Who said that it was not healthy for men to exist within the same relation as to a man and a woman. Homosexuality scared them to the point of cleansing the planet in this way. The way of good, the way of God....

Nice myth, except that homosexuality is completely normal in Vodou. It's not seen as bad, and most definitely not condemned by God. Lesbians fall under the protection of Eruzile Dantor, gay men under the protection of Eruzile Freda.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vodou/Voodoo/Vodun Q&A Clementine 81 22,634 10-19-2014 11:47 PM
Last Post: Clementine

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)