Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Walk this way/ thread locked
06-29-2008, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 02:11 AM by Yefet.)
Big Grin Walk this way/ thread locked
John 14:6 Jesus *said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

I'm not attacking or defending scripture. As a non-Christian I'm just asking a question motivated by curiosity.

When you say to someone 'walk this way' they are generally telling you to walk in the same direction that they are so that they may show you were something is. They are not usually telling you to walk in the same physical manner they are doing. But if you don't understand the context in which those words are being said you could easily confuse the meaning.

Is it possible that we have confused what Jesus said to mean something different then he actually did mean? Could he have meant that we can get to the father by following his example (living a life of love, forgiveness, etc)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2008, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2008 12:32 AM by Bobin.)
RE: Walk this way
Well, I don't know what else that verse would mean since I have always been taught and i have thought like that. The verse is open to interpertation but I think you are right when you say follow his example. I dont think this verse is physical as it is much more has a spirtual meaning of life if you understand what i am saying. But i dont know what else this verse could mean and i defenitely think that your meaning of the verse is more of an accurate interpertation. If you know what other meaning this verse could mean i would be intersted to know. Thanks

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.He was with God in the beginning.Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.In him was life, and that life was the light of men~ John 1:1-4 (KJV)

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness~ Albert Einstein

Live like everyday is your last~ Anonymous
07-02-2008, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2008 09:26 AM by Seeker.)
Thanks for your reply Bobin

As far as I'm aware the most common interpretation of John 14:6 is that Jesus himself is the only way to God. Being with God I assume would mean getting into heaven. In other words Jesus has the only key to heaven, and to get in the door you have to trust him to open it for you.

In contrast what I wonder is if this is the way it really is . . .
Jesus has shown us how we can all have our own key to open the door for ourselves. The key is love, compassion, forgiveness etc. Luk 17:21 says that the kingdom of Heaven is within us so that leads me to think that heaven is a state of being. If we live our lives in a positive way with the qualities I mentioned above we can all reach that state.

I would like to hear your opinion -- Thanks

Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2008 02:50 PM by Bobin.)
Yes, I think I see what you are saying. My opinion on that theory is that I am pretty sure when I say that heaven is not just not a state of being because there are numerous verses in the Bible that proves this. For example, another name given in the Bible for heaven is Zion and Jerusalem.

It says in
Quote:Joel 3:16-The LORD also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the LORD will be the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel.

Now about your other theory that you can go to that place if you live like that i agree. But there are a lot of rules that the Bible specifically targets that you can follow to reach that place, like in the new testament two main rules can be found in Matthew 22:36-40. I hope you understand what i'm saying.

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness~ Albert Einstein

Live like everyday is your last~ Anonymous
05-27-2014, 05:03 AM
(06-29-2008 06:34 PM)Seeker Wrote:  John 14:6 Jesus *said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

I'm not attacking or defending scripture. As a non-Christian I'm just asking a question motivated by curiosity.

When you say to someone 'walk this way' they are generally telling you to walk in the same direction that they are so that they may show you were something is. They are not usually telling you to walk in the same physical manner they are doing. But if you don't understand the context in which those words are being said you could easily confuse the meaning.

Is it possible that we have confused what Jesus said to mean something different then he actually did mean? Could he have meant that we can get to the father by following his example (living a life of love, forgiveness, etc)?

Jesus said to live in truth - no lies, cheating, scam, malpractice deceit of any kind - and that was the way to Heaven, Heavenly Life as opposed to earthly life.
05-27-2014, 05:06 PM
(05-27-2014 05:03 AM)Beena Jain Wrote:  
(06-29-2008 06:34 PM)Seeker Wrote:  John 14:6 Jesus *said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Jesus said to live in truth - no lies, cheating, scam, malpractice deceit of any kind - and that was the way to Heaven, Heavenly Life as opposed to earthly life.

You've done it! You landed back in 2008, early forum days... still expecting answers from people that have been gone for 6 years, or just trying to post in as many threads as possible?

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it
05-27-2014, 05:50 PM
(05-27-2014 05:03 AM)Beena Jain Wrote:  

Beena - it's alright to pull up old threads, but there's old and then there's really old, and this one is really old. It's alright to create new threads on some subjects, or perhaps you'd like to create a blog thread where you can put your ideas and musings. If you go to the blog subsection you can read the sticky threads regarding the rules - some posters have trouble with the concept but it might work for you.
05-27-2014, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 08:36 PM by Beena Jain.)
(05-27-2014 05:06 PM)Herminator Wrote:  You've done it! You landed back in 2008, early forum days... still expecting answers from people that have been gone for 6 years, or just trying to post in as many threads as possible?

It's alright to comment, no matter on a forum from yester years, we don't just write so someone will be there to comment on it, we write to bring truth out.
(05-27-2014 05:50 PM)Visqueen Wrote:  Beena - it's alright to pull up old threads, but there's old and then there's really old, and this one is really old. It's alright to create new threads on some subjects, or perhaps you'd like to create a blog thread where you can put your ideas and musings. If you go to the blog subsection you can read the sticky threads regarding the rules - some posters have trouble with the concept but it might work for you.

I really think you take writing on a forum very seriously. It is just light talk, your life does not depend on it, it is not earning your livelihood. The point of writing on the forums is not that you write only because someone is already there to comment, you write to bring truth out and you write because you identify with some thread. So why would I make a blog of my writing? Or why create a new thread? If you are so repulsed by old forums coming up to light again, don't pay attention to them, just write in the new ones or create your own threads.
05-27-2014, 10:20 PM
This forum has created the blog feature so it will get used. That's why Vis has told you you might like using blogs. What you do on threads, that's what blogs here are for. That's all.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
05-27-2014, 11:49 PM
(05-27-2014 08:31 PM)Beena Jain Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 05:06 PM)Herminator Wrote:  You've done it! You landed back in 2008, early forum days... still expecting answers from people that have been gone for 6 years, or just trying to post in as many threads as possible?

It's alright to comment, no matter on a forum from yester years, we don't just write so someone will be there to comment on it, we write to bring truth out.

What you call "commenting", others call "spamming": posting in over 50 threads, most of them dead for up to 6 years, without actually being interested whether it is relevant to the thread and without being interested in starting a discussion. For such action the blogs were put in place.

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)