Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are your beliefs about Polygamy?
09-17-2013, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 12:25 PM by Azrael17.)

I feel that it is wrong,
And that mariage should only be between Two consenting adults who love each other.
I also feel that it should be illegal.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2013, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 12:55 PM by shiverleaf15.)
RE: What are your beliefs about Polygamy?
I see no error in polygamy or any other type of marriage, homosexual, heterosexual, etc.

The exception being:

- No one should be coerced or forced into marriage.
- No one should use marriage as a license to abuse or discriminate one of the parties in said matrimony.
- Children should not be married to adults, or even to each other, until they cease being children and become accountable adults.

The problem that you indirectly raised, though not particular to polygamy, is: when does a child become an accountable adult at liberty to marry if he or she so desires? Should it be at 18? If so, why can teenagers marry teenagers at a younger age than 18? I do not believe this should be allowed except if we go all the way through and allow teenagers at that age marry anyone they wish. The worry of people is that an adult marrying a teenager under 18 but who is clearly not just a little child either will be doing it as an example of taking advantage of the young person. I find this ironic seeing as very elderly people and even common adults are married to people who quite clearly want to take advantage of them too.

If I may suggest, I will suggest what already was historically the practice until even the 19th century in much of the world as pertains adults marrying adolescents:

- The adolescent should consent to it.
- The parents of the adolescent should consent to it.
- There must be no coercion or force engaged.
- There must come no abuse from the relationship of one of the parties.

Little children should not be given away in marriage or be held accountable if they but say "I want to marry". The age should be at least 14, I would say, and require consent of the parents. This is the way it basically already works when it comes to teenagers that age marrying fellow teenagers: parental consent is required.

Back to plural marriage. Is it moral or immoral? It can only be either in a religiously defined sense. In a secular sense, if no coercion and force exists, no abuse, and consent of all parties in permitting the marriage, I don't see where there's any immorality or morality to find and define, except that if happiness comes from this for all parties, not as you define it but as they define it, or rather, satisfaction/contentment, let them do it, and don't slander people who are happy with each other and manage to live fine.

As a Latter-day Saint, I have heard many fellow Mormons act like "polygamy" is an oddity and that they would not accept it if it were done today, and act like it was something that was only okay in the 1800s. They've been too westernized, and so have the westerners themselves, but there's no Biblical basis for opposing polygamy itself, only the excessive multiplication of wives that Solomon engaged in with this hundreds of wives and concubines, rather the opposition came from monogamous Rome. There's a reason why the Jews of Yemen and Muslims in the Middle East, so separated from the Roman sphere of influence, did in fact, have had polygamy down to the beginning of modernity. And no, don't malign the Muslims or the Jews of the Middle East, please, and then accept the Bible (I say that to the Christians and even Jews). As sporadic as polygamy might have been anciently, or even among Christians in antiquity (Christian polygamy existed in Ethiopia for several centuries I think, for example), it was not banned, and that's the point, the Bible doesn't ban the practice, it permits it, both in Old Covenant Israel and the New Covenant Christian Church. However, the Bible only ever allowed polygyny, which is why Mormons would only allow that.

Personally, though, polyandry has a right to exist, both homosexual and heteroseuxal polyandry and polygyny has a right to exist, and even cases where men and women are married to each other both homosexually and heterosexually at the same time.

So I don't believe polygamy should be illegal. How can I support the right of people to engage in sex with many people outside of marriage, even to the degree of prostitution (as much as I don't want that among members of my religion because of my convictions, everyone else has a right to do whatever, I'm libertarian) and then hypocritically persecute polygamists?

Muslims have a right to polygamy, and the Fundamentalist Mormon sects too.

Muslims are supposed to be humane about it, and I think they wouldn't support abuse and coercion.

When it comes to the Fundamentalist Mormons, there's two main groups. One (Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) is coercive, abusive, and had their prophet jailed because he engaged in coercive sexual abuse of younger girls. The other, though, is activist in opposing coercion and abuse, they're known as the Apostolic United Brethren. These people aren't harming anyone, they live happy lives, and aren't afraid to show the world what it's like to live the way they do. They seem to me to be decent people, and therefore deserve a right to religious liberty.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
09-17-2013, 02:16 PM
(09-17-2013 12:24 PM)Azrael17 Wrote:  What are your beliefs about Polygamy?

I feel that it is wrong,
And that mariage should only be between Two consenting adults who love each other.
I also feel that it should be illegal.

I have no problem with polygamy, none whatsoever. I don't think any religion condemns it. Consenting adults should be allowed to enter into this form of union, as long as no one is being immorally exploited as a result. That's where polygamy gets a bad name, where instances of abuse are exposed by the media.

There is no religion higher than truth.
09-17-2013, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 04:31 PM by KAYSER.)
in Islam, polygamy is allowed with conditions
“… marry women of your choice, two or three or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with them, then only one.” (Quran 4:3)

Also, Islam is the only religion to limit this to 4... it's open in other religions (I could be wrong here)

Click Here to know more about Islam
09-17-2013, 08:08 PM
It seems that its always one male marrying a bunch of women,
How do you all feel if it was reversed,
One woman marrying a bunch of men?

Personally the reason I don't believe in it, is because I fell it might cause jealousy among the people involved.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
09-17-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm pretty sure jealousy is a sin to God in Abrahamic faiths. We can't control jealousy's appearance, and it appears for way more things than just polygamous relationships, I would think.

I don't think you have a good reason, as far as you've shown, for opposing plural marriage, other than cultural trendiness. Two thousand years ago in Israel, you would not have opposed it if you accepted the God of the Abrahamic scriptures.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)