Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What being Agnostic means to me
09-16-2009, 09:19 AM
What being Agnostic means to me
This is a subject that I have thought deeply about for a while, but never really got the chance to share with others.

Let me start out with what I DO believe in, as an Agnostic. I believe that something, be it God or whatever, did create our existence in some way or another. Some power or force had to start everything. Something had to create the matter necessary for the big bang theory to occur, if that's what you believe happened. I am all about believing in science, but there is a point where science cannot explain things and that is where I question "What ultimately created everything?". However, I don't believe that this "God" like most people describe him as. I don't think we have to pray and worship him because he created everything, it's not about that.

I believe that organized religions are based on some story that a man wrote thousands of years ago. Eventually a lot of people started to believe in that story because they had nothing else to believe in. They didn't know the things that we know now. If they did, do you think that religion would still be as popular as it is today? Probably not. Back then, parents and teachers couldn't give children answers to questions about life and human existence...so they turned to religion. Religion has all the answers, or so they say. If you can't explain why something happened, turn to religion. It's an easy cop out, if you ask me. My point is that religion was popular when it started because people did not know about anything else; if the theory of religion was to start in today's world, would it stand a chance?

Now don't get me wrong, I have respect for people that believe in their religion. They chose to believe that, just like I chose to be Agnostic. I respect the choices that people make, and that's another one of the reasons why I am Agnostic. There are so many religions out there, each with a group of dedicated believers. If you ask a devoted Catholic about religion, he/she will go on and on and tell you their thoughts and beliefs. They will try their hardest to convince you that what they believe in is the truth. The thing is, you can go to a devoted Muslim and have the same type of convo, but their thoughts on religion are completely different. Their passion and strength of belief is the same though. So what makes one religion more true than the other? Nothing. If anything, this helps out the theory that they are all just stories, very different stories.

People believe in religion so much, that to them, it's real. And when you get enough people that believe it’s real, it sort of becomes real...to those that believe at least. But it's not much different then believing in Santa Clause when you were a kid. You thought that he was as real as anything else was, and nobody could tell you different. The thing is, we all eventually find out that he is not real, just a story that you were told so that you can believe in something that brought you joy. How does that differ from religion?

I think I have to stop now, my fingers are getting tired and I don't want to get any deeper for the fear of sounding completely crazy.

Feel free to reply and discuss, I am always happy to participate in healthy debates.

-Rob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2009, 10:03 AM
RE: What being Agnostic means to me
Why do you believe in god at all?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Such a simple question, but the answer is just the opposite. I don't believe in 'god' persay, I just believe that something that isn't physical created everything. Science can only explain so much, and then it becomes fuzzy. God may not be a person, he/it could be a power, a force, an energy, something.

I just can't make myself believe that everything was just 'there', it had to start somewhere.

When people ask me if I believe in God, I usually tell them no because I know what 'God' they are referring to, and that is not what I believe in at all.
09-16-2009, 10:16 AM
(09-16-2009 10:10 AM)theinfinatemind Wrote:  Such a simple question, but the answer is just the opposite. I don't believe in 'god' persay, I just believe that something that isn't physical created everything. Science can only explain so much, and then it becomes fuzzy. God may not be a person, he/it could be a power, a force, an energy, something.

I just can't make myself believe that everything was just 'there', it had to start somewhere.

When people ask me if I believe in God, I usually tell them no because I know what 'God' they are referring to, and that is not what I believe in at all.

Sounds similar to my opinion. Whether 'God' exists is to me a question that is unanswerable but in any case irrelevant to the idea of religion.
09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
(09-16-2009 10:03 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Why do you believe in god at all?

(09-16-2009 10:16 AM)Parousia Wrote:  
(09-16-2009 10:10 AM)theinfinatemind Wrote:  Such a simple question, but the answer is just the opposite. I don't believe in 'god' persay, I just believe that something that isn't physical created everything. Science can only explain so much, and then it becomes fuzzy. God may not be a person, he/it could be a power, a force, an energy, something.

Sounds similar to my opinion. Whether 'God' exists is to me a question that is unanswerable but in any case irrelevant to the idea of religion.

Exactly. I think that we (humans) are NEVER going to be able to understand "God". I can barley understand it when the mechanic tells me whats wrong with my car, so how could I even begin to understand something that could have created everything that we know today.

God or no God, it does not make a difference to me. I like to compare it to parents. My parents made me who I am today for the most part, but now that I am an adult I make my own choices and live the way I want to and not the way my parents do. Same thing goes for "God". He/it/whatever may have created everything and made us who we are today, but we have free will and we can make our own choices, not just do what we think "God" would want us to do.
09-16-2009, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2009 11:42 AM by MerryAtheist.)
(09-16-2009 10:22 AM)theinfinatemind Wrote:  God or no God, it does not make a difference to me. I like to compare it to parents. My parents made me who I am today for the most part, but now that I am an adult I make my own choices and live the way I want to and not the way my parents do. Same thing goes for "God". He/it/whatever may have created everything and made us who we are today, but we have free will and we can make our own choices, not just do what we think "God" would want us to do.

I would refine the point further to say that we have the "illusion" of free will, which on a practical basis is largely indistinguishable from actual free will.

---------------
Not selling anything.
09-16-2009, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2009 11:46 AM by theinfinatemind.)
(09-16-2009 11:41 AM)MerryAtheist Wrote:  
(09-16-2009 10:22 AM)theinfinatemind Wrote:  God or no God, it does not make a difference to me. I like to compare it to parents. My parents made me who I am today for the most part, but now that I am an adult I make my own choices and live the way I want to and not the way my parents do. Same thing goes for "God". He/it/whatever may have created everything and made us who we are today, but we have free will and we can make our own choices, not just do what we think "God" would want us to do.

I would refine the point further to say that we have the "illusion" of free will, which on a practical basis is largely indistinguishable from actual free will.

You are right, we do have the illusion of free will. But that topic, much like the topic of what God is (or if he even exists), is unanswerable in my opinion. There is no right or wrong. We are unable to fully understand it, that is why its all just opinions.
09-16-2009, 01:38 PM
This is why I don't believe in god. Because I don't think my free will is an illusion. I do not think a creator is in any way necessary given our scientific understanding of the world. I think the universe was born of natural means, and that our existence is entirely chance. With no power directing the universe, its course is left entirely to the forces within it - which includes, among other things, our own wills.

But at this point it just becomes a philosophical discussion. The important point isn't whether or not god exists, but whether he matters. Which we both agree he doesn't.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
You couldn't have said it better.
12-27-2009, 07:40 PM
You said-
I am all about believing in science, but there is a point where science cannot explain things and that is where I question "What ultimately created everything?"

Just because we can't explain something is that really a reason to create a "god" to fill in the gaps in our knowledge? 2000 or so years ago people thought that we would never be able to know why it rained and so created rain gods to try and explain the weather. Just because we don't really know what created the universe doesn't mean we need a god to explain what we don't know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Am I the only Reluctant Athiest/Agnostic Who cant stand happy athiests? AgnosticScholar 12 1,345 04-16-2014 09:41 AM
Last Post: crow
  Are you Agnostic? Anthem 107 12,236 01-21-2013 01:06 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  My typical non-Agnostic question. Holy Babylon 41 3,359 10-10-2010 07:54 PM
Last Post: Zagreus

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)