Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do you think of when you hear God?
07-17-2013, 01:51 AM
What do you think of when you hear God?
I'm a Deist, so the God I believe in is very different from the Christian Jehovah, but many people assume when I say that "I believe in God" I am a Christian. So, I wanted to get others' thoughts about what they think of when you hear the word 'God.'
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2013, 02:15 AM
RE: What do you think of when you hear God?
I think of the All-Fire a living flame in the form of a woman who dances over an Ocean of Infinity which is Time.

To me God is All and we are all a smaller part of the All but as a blood cell is not You neither are we God.

God is All Powerful and the God of Every Thing, she is both genders and limitless and formless yet she appears to us using Avatars so that we might comprehend her.
We are not to worship those Avatars or any Image but only God.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
Find all posts by this user
07-17-2013, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2013 11:08 AM by Yefet.)
(07-17-2013 01:51 AM)Winter Storm Wrote:  I'm a Deist, so the God I believe in is very different from the Christian Jehovah, but many people assume when I say that "I believe in God" I am a Christian. So, I wanted to get others' thoughts about what they think of when you hear the word 'God.'

A think about a spiritual, not material entity. Same applies to angels, etc.

Ludwik Kowalski
07-17-2013, 12:31 PM
I think many things when I hear the word "God".

Regardless of that, when I think of my own God, I think of a conscious entity who is an omnipotent and omniscient soul, who conceals his underlying reality from us, but who otherwise shows himself to us as a soul embodied in a body occupying both mass and volume, after the pattern of which he created Adam. This is God the Father.

His Son, Jesus Christ, and another son, the Holy Spirit, are his agents and ministers in sharing with us his "utterances" and performing among us and all creation his "exhalations". Together they form what I call the "Godhead".

God has revealed his great will and plan for us through numerous prophets in seven major dispensations. We are presently within the seventh dispensation, the dispensation of the fullness of times as it is otherwise called in scripture.
07-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm partial to the Einsteinian concept of god as a metaphor for the sum total of all the natural laws of the universe.

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
07-17-2013, 02:47 PM
(07-17-2013 02:40 PM)StarStuff Wrote:  I'm partial to the Einsteinian concept of god as a metaphor for the sum total of all the natural laws of the universe.

Ohhh, so that's what he meant when he said God does not throw dice?
07-17-2013, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2013 07:13 PM by rocketboy9000.)
Yup. He was a mechanist, and disliked the quantum physics as a result.
When I hear "God" usually I interpret it based onwho the person who said it is.
07-17-2013, 07:57 PM
(07-17-2013 07:11 PM)rocketboy9000 Wrote:  Yup. He was a mechanist, and disliked the quantum physics as a result.
When I hear "God" usually I interpret it based onwho the person who said it is.

What does it mean when you say it? LoL

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-17-2013, 10:18 PM
A null set I'm guessing (:
07-29-2013, 09:40 PM
hmmm, I guess I see God as a powerful being, able to crush me, bend me, mold me to do his will, punish me if I don't.
I think without Christ, I would rebel against God and buy into Satan's lies, thinking God saw me as a mere puppet to control to do his bidding and did not care about what I wanted, only what he wanted.
Christ changes that picture though. I feel like Christ knows what it is like to be human and he understands why we act and do the things we do. I also think Christ gives us a visual guide as to how to live our lives and guess God seems to distant and so mysterious that i get angry with him for not just coming out and saying... hey, I want you to do this and i am revealing myself to you so you know it is me asking this of you.
I see God as all powerful, a thing far away that i long to bring closer. I guess I fear God in part, but because of Christ, I also love God and am amazed at his power and not afraid.
It is complicated, but I guess I think of God, really, as if he were a great father that i love and respect and want to please not because I fear punishment, but because i long to be closer, to better understand, but I feel very inept in comparison.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)