Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do you think this quote means?
01-21-2010, 07:36 PM
What do you think this quote means?
For my confirmation, I must state what was ment by the following quote: "The greatest among you must be like the youngest, and the leader must be like the servant.."
Now, me and many others were able to make the basic connections, and I think the basic interpretation is quite obvious, but I wanted to know what some people with more religious experience thought of this, without knowing mine, so I can get some different ideas, and learn. Big Grin

"One who cannot truly destroy cannot truly create."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2010, 08:10 PM
RE: What do you think this quote means?
I heard about a CEO of a large corporation who spends some free time every week working at a soup kitchen, serving food to homeless people who come to the shelter. I think this is the sort of attitude God would like to see from all of us.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Depends on which CEO. Some of those guys, doing a little time in a soup kitchen just doesn't cut it. I think some of those guys need to follow Jesus's advice to the rich young man if they want to get right with their lord.

I mean, lets face it, you don't become the CEO of a large corporation by being the model of ethical behavior.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-21-2010, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2010 10:21 PM by Holy Babylon.)
(01-21-2010 07:36 PM)camycam178 Wrote:  For my confirmation, I must state what was ment by the following quote: "The greatest among you must be like the youngest, and the leader must be like the servant.."
Now, me and many others were able to make the basic connections, and I think the basic interpretation is quite obvious, but I wanted to know what some people with more religious experience thought of this, without knowing mine, so I can get some different ideas, and learn. :D
Youngest=Equivalent to a child in thought, Matthew 18:2-4
Leader=Servant of the Lord, always submitting to God's will and accepting Him.
01-21-2010, 10:47 PM
There is a "biomystical code" that one can trace all through the Bible stories wherein God seems to favor the one lower in social rank than the ones favored by men and tradition. Science shows that the firstborn seem to have genetic advantage over the last born yet Abel, the second-born was favored over Cain, the firstborn. Jacob is favored over Esau, Joseph is favored by Israel as the "son of his old age", David is favored his older brothers. Christ, as a firstborn gets hammered yet he tells us that the "last shall be first, and the first last". To men this makes little sense as the firstborn, usually smarter than the those coming afterwords and having the experience of leading younger siblings, is more fit to inherit the farm or kingdom, but God knows what Their doing as this pronouncement favoring the weaker members of the family and extending it through Christ's universal concern even to social outcasts marks a way of balancing out social inequities that invariably result from favoring the strong over the weak. The Meek shall inherit the earth because the Strong would otherwise destroy it.
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
"The greatest among you must be like the youngest, and the leader must be like the servant.."
Hum, I guess it could be a thousand things, cause many things just popped into my mind. But I will go with the innocent are great and leaders have learned to serve and keep there good-ness in that way.Smile
Okay worded badly makes sense to meSmile
01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
(01-22-2010 10:57 AM)StevieHummingbird Wrote:  "The greatest among you must be like the youngest, and the leader must be like the servant.."
Hum, I guess it could be a thousand things, cause many things just popped into my mind. But I will go with the innocent are great and leaders have learned to serve and keep there good-ness in that way.Smile
Okay worded badly makes sense to meSmile

Hi Stevie, good to see you around again. Smile

You are right, it could mean different things. A possible subtext, if not necessarily the straightforward meaning, is a reference to one of the tenets of apocalypticism, which is all over the NT. In that school of thought, the righteous (e.g., the Jews) were oppressed by agents of Satan (e.g., the Romans). But a judge would come to reward the good and punish the bad, thereby restoring the balance and justifying righteousness. Those now on the bottom would be raised up. Those on top would be pushed down. “So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last.” (Matthew 20:16)
01-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Actually I have been here like every other day I have just been looking for awhile, getting used to the place and people.Smile

That is interesting though. I think I understand. Thanx for the interpretation.
01-26-2010, 06:28 AM
I think it means the great needs to be humble and that the best leaders are the greatest followers. The meek shall inherit the earth you know. =)

Visit http://blog.newlivingtranslation.com/blo...onal-bible
01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
(01-21-2010 07:36 PM)camycam178 Wrote:  For my confirmation, I must state what was ment by the following quote: "The greatest among you must be like the youngest, and the leader must be like the servant.."
Now, me and many others were able to make the basic connections, and I think the basic interpretation is quite obvious, but I wanted to know what some people with more religious experience thought of this, without knowing mine, so I can get some different ideas, and learn. Big Grin
this quote is saying all people are equal no matter what their duties

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Quote Function Tutorial EqualAtheist 18 2,886 08-05-2012 06:22 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  Quote from a friend EqualAtheist 18 1,917 06-08-2011 06:16 PM
Last Post: georgeTmaxwell

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)