Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
What is Hinduism?
09-23-2009, 02:21 AM
What is Hinduism?
What the title says tell me,
tell me I implore!

I'm a Researcher studying world religions and I want to know about Hinduism.

Are all Hindu Polytheist or are some of you more Monotheist.
What values and beliefs do you have. How do you worship your God/Gods.

I'm a Christian trying to be open minded so please some one who knows a lot about your faith tell me about it in your own words.

"I'm ignorant and in my ignorance have I raised sword against my brothers. Have pity on me for I've fallen. For it will take your help to get back up. Once I'm to my feet I shall spread my wings and repent in the name of my father."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2009, 04:45 AM
RE: What is Hinduism?
Rather than repeat myself, I've answered a couple of your questions inother threads. Have a look at

http://www.religionforums.org/thread-1183-page-2.html

and the one on Hindu idols in this section.

I know you were addressing Hindus, but sadly we don't have many here at present. I think there are two lurking, but they don't post very often.
09-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Hinduism cannot be neatly slotted into any particular belief system. Unlike other religions, Hinduism is a way of life, a Dharma, that is, the law that governs all action. It has its own beliefs, traditions, advanced system of ethics, meaningful rituals, philosophy and theology. The religious tradition of Hinduism is solely responsible for the creation of such original concepts and practices as Yoga, Ayurveda, Vastu, Jyotish, Yajna, Puja, Tantra, Vedanta, Karma, etc.
12-22-2009, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2009 10:51 AM by wisdom007.)
Sanathan means enternal and Dharma means laws .
the enternal laws are the devine
words of the god.The HINDU DARMA is the older of all
religions and is the first religion of mankind.

Hindu dharma is the mother of all religions in the world.
We beleive in one god-the Brahman (not brahma). however,
we worship the three principal manifestations of god:
BRAHMA-RACHAYITA(GENERATOR)
VISHNU-PALANKARTA(OPERATOR)
MAHESH-SANGHARAK(DESTROYER)

The letter of the word god can thus be taken
to remind us of the three. Cool

we regard god to be omni present(sarva-vyapi),omnisient(sarvajnan).
prayer is the most powerful.
Tool for communication with god.it establishes adirect link with god is prayer,worship,and austereliving(tapasya)are the foundation for a lasting relationship with god.

We believe in re-incarnatin(punarjanm).
soul (atman) does not die when the bodydies.
based on the karma of the presentlife,
the atman(soul)transmigrates from one body to another.
The cycle of birth,death and rebirth
continues till one achieve liberation.
No weapon can cut this soul,nor any
fire can burn it,no water can make
it wet and no wind Can dry it.

Hindus (followers of Sanatana Dharma) believe in one, all-pervasive and all-loving Supreme Being. God is both trascendent and immanent in all things. God has unlimited names and forms. Though worshiped in different ways in different religious and spiritual paths, there is only one God.
The MOKSHA;the ultimate goel of the mankind.
Hindu believe in ahimsa(NON-VIOLENCE)
and in prani-daya(compansion to all creatures)

Pedastal of hindusociety stems from the great vedic teachings.
Ekam sat viprah bahudha vadhanthi-
"TRUTH IS ONE,SAGES CALL IT BY MANY NAMES",
and "VASUDHAIVA KUTUMPAKAM-"The whole univer se is one family".

It is the philosaphy which allowed the people of the Hindustan(THE LAND OF HINDU)to shelter the jews who faced romen persecutions,the zoarastrians who fled the islamic sword and who are the proud prsee community today,and the Tibetan Buddhists (including thier dalailama head of the state who today face communist secularism based persecution of religion)The seeds of hindus"Jagruty",or awakening,were created the very instance an invander threatened the fabric of hindu society which was based on religion tolerence.`
We are spirit living in a body we are not a body.
Hindus believes that he is spirit him sword cannot pierce-him the fire cannot burn-him the water cannot melt-him air cannot dry. the body will die,but we shall not die we hadAlso a past.the soul was not created,for creation means a combination which means a certain future dissolution.

Truth that humanbeings,animals,plants,all are one.the same life force-prana is in each one of us.Hindus consider ourselves as sons of motherearth.

God creates, sustains and destroys everything , when time comes.
The Creator form of God is known as Brahma. He breaths out the universe as stated in the Holy book Gita in Sanskrit.

This is the same as Big Bang Theory only in a different language.
Saying it in English does not make our eternal theory obsolete
The whole process from creation to destruction is divided into
4 parts called yugas : Satya Yug, Treta Yug, Dwapar Yug and the
Kaliyug though the destruction is a long way to go ..
the whole process starts all over again after destruction.
yug of Kali. The universe is now in the era of darkness (kali Yug),
The creation has 427,000 years to go before the destruction ,
upon which the new cycle will begin.

Hope my english is OK Sad ...

Known.... is drop...Unknown... is an ocean.. || Om Namah Shivaya ||
12-22-2009, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2009 04:06 PM by Parousia.)
Very interesting...Smile

"Truth is One, sages call it by many names
and
The whole universe is one family"

That speaks to me on a deep level. We cannot completely define what is because to define is to enclose something and leave something else outside. The universe is what it is. The human talent is to find useful abstractions, but we must always keep in mind that these are only approximations.

When speaking of religion, we must keep in mind that 'our' religion is only a piece of the puzzle. It can never enclose everything. It is a useful abstraction. Different abstractions can work also.

My opinion anyway...

And your English is OK. The bad thing about English is that it is very difficult to learn perfectly because it is so irregular. That results from it being the collision of several other languages. The good thing about English is that - because it IS the collision of several languages - it is very flexible and can be understood even when not used perfectly. French and German, for example, demand precision or they will be misunderstood. English is friendlier at the same time and for the same reason that is it less friendly. Big Grin
12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Actualy Hinduism is new word Sanatan Dharma. In English, Dharma is defined by the word 'religion'. But the term religion is incapable to describe the vast meaning of Dharma. while all religions are true, they all evolve towards Hinduism, which is most advanced.Hinduism is Way of Life .

Thanks Parousia..English language have one positive its Global now if a large number of people from disparate cultures with different first languages need to communicate with each other, then they need a common language.

12-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Your English is fine Wisdom. To be honest, the way some people write on forums, if you hadn't of mentioned it, I might not have even thought it a second language. You have certainly mastered English better than some members who have Arabic as their first language.

Just out of interest, if you don't mind saying, which gods are you most interested in, Wisdom007? Which traditions do you follow and why?
12-22-2009, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2009 11:48 PM by wisdom007.)
(12-22-2009 10:31 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  Your English is fine Wisdom. To be honest, the way some people write on forums, if you hadn't of mentioned it, I might not have even thought it a second language. You have certainly mastered English better than some members who have Arabic as their first language.

Just out of interest, if you don't mind saying, which gods are you most interested in, Wisdom007? Which traditions do you follow and why?

Thanks Zagreus Smile ...Intresting Question i follow Karma marga+Jnana marga + Bhakti marga Combination of 3 ...My Ishta Devata (chosen deity) is Goddess Durga form of the Divine Mother Femine force of Shakti ...

01-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the answer. I'm very interested in Hinduism, and always keen to learn more, so would you mind if I ask some more questions please? If it's too personal then please just decline.

Did you pick the 3 margas, or were you taught them? How would you define the three you follow? I just googled them to check my understanding was roughly right on the definitions of the words: Karma meaning action, Jnana is wisdom through study, and Bhakti is devotion. Is that how you view these? Are there any specific practices you don't mind telling us about?

Also, why Durga? I can understand the appeal of her, but is she a deity you chose, or is it a family tradition for her to be your family chosen deity, or some other reason?
01-02-2010, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2010 02:51 AM by wisdom007.)
I had an inclination towards This diety and Mother Durga gives me more Positive Energy and I find peace with Durga Mantra ...

Particularly there will be always 2 Devatas in ones life Ishtadevata another one Dharma Devata

You can find Your Dharma Devata with help of Vedic Astrology ...

and Some of old Hindu family have Kula-devata (Family-deity) there ancestors worshiped some particulardiety or they constructed family temple for there family like that....
About Yoga margas ...karma yoga fact is Human being cannot escape from Actions when you mix bhakti yoga with your Actions like offer to god it will give you perfect and selfless action... selfless service means Seva towards other living beings and nature ...Jnana Yoga (it include theory and practise) Means Reading Vedanta doing Regular Meditation .
Bhakti yoga is effective and easy it includes chanting, Observing the fasting,Visiting sacred place (Temple) or Pilgrimage....Hope you understand ...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)