Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is religion ? Is there any need of religion?
05-26-2011, 02:22 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2011 02:24 AM by Clementine.)

05-27-2011, 12:58 AM
RE: What is religion ? Is there any need of religion?
The true meaning of Religion is "TRUTH" or "PEACE". if you are true than you don't need any religion and if you are not true than you need a religion. if you maintain peace in your surrounding than you will find religion in your surrounding. religion is inside the body not outside. you can fill religion like you can fill air but you can not touch the religion. i think there is only one religion and that is "Islam" in which TRUTH is inside everyone and everyone can fill it.and this truth give you a power to speak.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2011, 01:38 AM
(05-27-2011 12:58 AM)Manahel.Fatima Wrote:  The true meaning of Religion is "TRUTH" or "PEACE".

Maybe that's what you get from it, but in fact it derives from a word meaning "bound together". I think it's important to remember that - Religion isn't God, or even faith, it's the system of teachings, rules, doctrines, art, stories, rituals, heirarchy and other cultural and social artefacts that people have built around religion. This is why in some cases it can seem as though "God" or whatever object of belief a religion has been built around has vanished or rotted away, leaving the structures still in place.
05-27-2011, 02:10 AM
To give humans the thought of something higher than them perhaps?
05-27-2011, 02:42 AM
As an additional point to my previous post, that's also why atheism is definitely not a religion, no matter how mch some theists may want it to be. It's not because atheists have no God (hello Buddhism and LaVeyan Satanism) or faith (some atheists have very strong faith - "there is definitely no being or reality beyond this one, and human consciousness definitely ends with death" is as much a belief statement as the opposite) but because they have no structure. Atheism has no codified doctrine, heirarchy or organisation, and that's what turns a belief about the nature of reality into a religion.
05-27-2011, 04:33 AM
^So by that definition, are Marxism or following Freud's teachings religions?
05-27-2011, 05:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2011 05:17 AM by Painkiller.)
I KNEW someone would ask that! I strongly suspected it would be you.

Ignoring the fact that, as far as I'm aware, neither Marxism nor Freudian psycho-analytics "binds together" a range of "teachings, rules, doctrines, art, stories, rituals, heirarchy and other cultural and social artefacts" to quite the same extent as most established religiousn, I would say that a Religion, as opposed to other cultural, political or philosophical structures also requires some kind of metaphysical (or at least non-empirical) statement about the nature of reality. It needn't be God in the classical monotheistic sense, but if we look at Buddhism (which people often try to justify as not really being a religion) it makes claims about the nature of Universe and physical/spiritual existence which Marx or Freud don't try to.

A religion is a complex structure of heirarchies, art, teachings etc. built around a belief, but the belief needs to be there, at least initially.
05-27-2011, 08:01 AM
OK, so is Schopenhauer's idea of "the world of will" and "the world of representation" going to be classed a religion? (although it seems to me most of that philosophy is ideas copied from Buddhism, rewritten so 18th Century Germans could understand them.) What about Plato and his world of forms?

I know the answer's "no they're not religions" but going by your definition I can't explain why. Is it as simple as "they don't have a wide range of stories or rituals around them"? There must be things that are called religion that don't, either - what about Rastafari? (Showing my ignorance here.)
05-27-2011, 09:26 AM
You've answered the question for yourself - I can't think of any organised structures of belief set up around Schopenhaur's or Plato's ideas. I think it would certainly be possible for there to be, and I'd be happy to call them religions, but simply reading and agreeing with Plato doesn't make you part of a religion any more than simply believing in God necessarily does.

On your second point "wide range" doesn't really mean much, but every tradition I'm aware of that I'd consider a religion has some kind of organised structure of belief. You used Rastafari as an example - Rastas use the Bible, especially Haile Selassie's Ahmaric Orthodox Bible and the Kebra Nagast as scripture. They have rituals involving the ceremonial use of a sacramental drug, they have festivals (Niyabinghi), different sects with their own slightly different ways of doing things. It might seem a bit more freeform than other religions, partly because it hasn't had as much time to build up the same amount of baggage, and partly because of the whole "isms and schisms" thing, but it's not just an unassociated group of people who share a belief or idea - there's organisation there, even if it might seem comparatively disorganised.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What led me to question my religion? Japle 288 4,800 12-06-2017 04:49 PM
Last Post: Amememhab
  Religion Nurisadisaae 22 434 10-22-2017 07:25 PM
Last Post: KAYSER
  Religion AseeSah 51 1,218 10-22-2017 06:06 AM
Last Post: ajay0
  QUESTIONING A GOD AND RELIGION secretagent 68 1,787 10-19-2017 04:22 AM
Last Post: Amememhab
  Isn't it time to upgrade your religion? %mindless_detector% 0 92 10-14-2017 07:50 PM
Last Post: %mindless_detector%
  Can religion lead to world destruction? curlsandjeans 50 1,407 08-03-2017 01:51 PM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  "What am I?" Religion quizzes Caesar Saladin 14 469 07-03-2017 09:50 AM
  How do you pick a religion? jd01 94 6,601 06-23-2017 10:09 AM
  Will God's plan destroy religion? solewatchman 20 816 06-23-2017 09:41 AM
Last Post: Mark51
  Religion vs Science Scientist 29 978 06-18-2017 05:17 AM
Last Post: PeterPants

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)