Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is soul?
02-17-2009, 09:33 AM
What is soul?
First of all we should analyse the soul. The soul is made of pure awareness. The vibrations of pure awareness are called as feelings or qualities. Therefore all the characteristic qualities are associated with the soul and are made of pure awareness.

What is pure awareness? It is only a special form of inert energy. When we eat the food, it is oxidised by the oxygen received through the respiratory system. When the food is assimilated in the digestive system, it is oxidised by the Oxygen from the respiratory system, which is carried by the blood in dissolved state through Haemoglobin. The oxidation of food is exothermic reaction and liberates inert heat energy. This inert heat energy is converted into a special form of energy called awareness by the nervous system.

The electricity is produced by the generator and enters the tube light. The electrical energy is converted into light, which is another new form of energy. The heat energy produced by the interaction of digestive and respiratory system is called life energy (Pranamaya kosa). When this heat energy is converted into awareness by nervous system the awareness or mind is produced (Manomaya kosa).

This awareness which is in the purest state is called as the soul (or Atman). This awareness is propagated in the form of pulses and these pulses as a bundle is called as Jeeva. The bundle of pulses of awareness is called as simply Jeeva from the point of pulses, is called as Atman from the point of awareness and is also called as Jeevatman from the point of both the pulses and awareness.

The constant propagation of pulses is called as mind (manas). The impressions of strong pulses are called as Chittam. The production of strong of pulses by the interaction of several weak pulses is called as intelligence or determination or Buddhi. The strong pulse that keeps the identity of the body is called as Ahamkara or ego. When you say the word Jeeva, it refers only to Manas, Chittam, Buddhi and Ahamkara (Antahkaranams).

Therefore the soul and Jeeva together called as Jeevatma is only a special form of energy i.e., generated by the interaction of digestive, respiratory and nervous systems. Thus Jeeva representing the bundle of characteristics and Atman representing the special form of energy or Soul can be only the items of creation and not the creator. You are worried about the generation of Soul but there need not be any worry because Soul is an item of creation. In this creation there is conversion of matter into energy.

There is conversion of one type of matter into another type of matter through a chemical reaction as done by chemists. There is also conversion of one form of energy into another form of energy as done by physicists. There is conversion of matter into energy as done by technologists and engineers. Now if the Soul is generated, what is there to worry? This topic comes under the realm of creation and is within the boundaries of the creation. Gita says that the Soul is Paraprakruti.

Prakruti means creation. Para means the finest part of creation. Therefore the transformation of Soul or division of Soul or generation of Soul is only topic of science and is not a topic of spirituality. Spirituality deals with creator who is beyond the creation. Veda says ‘Annat Purushah’, which means that the Soul is produced from the food. It is conversion of matter into Soul, which is energy.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2009, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2009 10:05 PM by clarence clutterbuck.)
RE: What is soul?
I'm sure there are some serious inaccuracies in the above regarding the physiology of energy production in the body, but anyway, far be it for me to complain; must admit I became bored half way through and began to think of other connotations of the word soul, like the Motown sound of the sixties, and how it led to the great soul artists of the seventies, like Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield (the Superfly soundtrack was brill), Al Green, Michael Jackson (before he went all strange)..
02-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Is it bad when the moment I saw "What is soul" I instantly thought, "The blues, man. The blues."

Smile
02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
(02-17-2009 12:44 PM)clarence clutterbuck Wrote:  I'm sure there are some serious inaccuracies in the above regarding the physiology of energy production in the body, but anyway, far be it for me to complain; must admit I became bored half way through and began to think of other connotations of the word soul, like the Motown sound of the sixties, and how it led to the great soul artists of the seventies, like Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield(the Superfly soundtrack was brill), Al Green, Michael Jackson (before he went all strange)..

Soul is essentially energy and is produced from the food.
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2009 10:21 PM by clarence clutterbuck.)
dattswami1 Wrote:Soul is essentially energy and is produced from the food.

I would say rather, that the nutrients provided by the digestion of food are essential for tissue maintenance/ renewal and the performance of muscular work - analagous to building blocks and fuel for the maintenance of a machine.

Humans and other organisms are complex molecular machines, created by our genes for the purpose of ensuring their survival (obvious Richard Dawkins The Selfish Gene influence here)..
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
So, would more energy be produced by "Soul Food"? I knew fried chicken and collard greens were good for something! Besides being a deliciously tasty treat, of course . . .

Can you tell I was raised southern?
02-18-2009, 11:02 AM
(02-17-2009 11:42 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  So, would more energy be produced by "Soul Food"? I knew fried chicken and collard greens were good for something! Besides being a deliciously tasty treat, of course . . .

Can you tell I was raised southern?

The soul is essentially energy only.

A human body can be broadly classified into 3.

Outer most gross body

Mind body

Soul

Mind is like a waves in water. Water is the soul. Mind is formed of various qualities.

Different foods have different speeds of digestion liberating the same inert energy with different intensities. The intensity of inert energy is related to the speed of its special work or awareness. These different speeds of the special work (awareness) are the different qualities of awareness. The work will be in some speed. Without speed, the work cannot exist at all. This means that the awareness cannot exist without the quality.

In fact, awareness is only a bundle of qualities. There is no race (Jaati) apart from its individual items. There is no humanity apart from human beings. Humanity means the single word embracing all the human beings and is not an individual entity apart from its items. Similarly, awareness is the bundle of various qualities. If you remove all the qualities, awareness does not exist at all. If you remove all the human beings, there is no existence of humanity at all. This bundle of all qualities is responsible for doing any work related to awareness.

Works like reading, talking, seeing etc., are done by their corresponding qualities only. Hence, a specific quality is a specific sub-style of bundle of the specific styles of works. Awareness is a specific style of work of inert energy in the nervous system. This specific style of work is sub-divided into various sub-styles and these sub-styles are called as qualities. There is no separate awareness that can exist beyond qualities. The specific style does not exist separately from its components, which are specific sub-styles. Thus, awareness becomes abstract as a race (Jaati), when it is separated from its individual components.

All these qualities are again grouped into three ranges, which are called as sattvam, Rajas and Tamas (good and bad qualities). The mild intensity of the inert energy creating less activity due to improper digestion of certain foods is called as Tamas. Thus, the food prepared long back causes improper digestion leading to less intensity of inert energy resulting in less activity and is the food of Tamas (Yaatayaamam…Gita). Similarly foods causing intensive stimulation generating more enzymes causing more digestion resulting in high intensity of inert energy and its corresponding rapid activity are foods of Rajas.

Foods which are balanced between these two are foods of Sattvam resulting in balance of activity and peace. Thus, the inert food, through the speed of digestion and influence of reactivity influence the intensities of inert energy resulting in various trends of activity becomes responsible in generating various qualities. Certain foods like masaala generate specific hormones, which are responsible for the quality of desire and sex (Kama guna).

Thus, all the qualities are only the effects of various chemical reactions taking place with different rates. The inertness of the food and the awareness of quality loose their difference in this way. The link between inert energy and awareness can be understood through the analysis of the link between these two called as quality. By this we can understand the conversion of inert food into awareness as said by Veda (Annatpurushah…).
02-18-2009, 11:25 AM
With all the talk about soul food and the evocative Indian nomenclature, this thread has got me fancying that dehydrated delicacy from the 1970's, known as a Vesta beef curry. I wonder if they're still on sale? Tongue

[Image: product-6765997.jpg]
02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
(02-18-2009 11:25 AM)clarence clutterbuck Wrote:  With all the talk about soul food and the evocative Indian nomenclature, this thread has got me fancying that dehydrated delicacy from the 1970's, known as a Vesta beef curry. I wonder if they're still on sale? Tongue

[Image: product-6765997.jpg]

If you stop taking food, you will become weak and after some time the fat in the body is used to produce awareness. Still further you will die. After death the body is motionless but the soul escapes to the upper world. This means you are not the body but the soul
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2009 01:38 PM by clarence clutterbuck.)
dattswami1 Wrote:If you stop taking food, you will become weak and after some time the fat in the body is used to produce awareness. Still further you will die. After death the body is motionless but the soul escapes to the upper world. This means you are not the body but the soul

I agree with the bit about starvation causing weakness, but it seems likely that the awareness produced by subsequent fat use in the body would be one of weight loss, especially if a bathroom scale was employed to chart progress.

The soul escaping the death of the body is a contentious point. I have a feeling that the character, Guru, from 1968 TV cartoon, Fantastic Voyage might take your view - he is after all a "Master of Mysterious Powers", but I remain sceptical on the issue.

[Image: fantvoy1.jpg][Image: fantvoy6.jpg]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLzXlCPx49U

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)