Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the spiritual gift you like best and why
03-17-2017, 10:04 AM
What is the spiritual gift you like best and why
There are different gifts of the Holy Ghost. I wonder which gift has helped you the most, in your life or ministry. While I like them all, while trying to pick one as favorite, I would take Faith because all the others are no good without Faith.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2017, 09:34 PM
RE: What is the spiritual gift you like best and why
(03-17-2017 10:04 AM)Brother Gerald Wrote:  There are different gifts of the Holy Ghost. I wonder which gift has helped you the most, in your life or ministry. While I like them all, while trying to pick one as favorite, I would take Faith because all the others are no good without Faith.

Each person, upon their salvation is given a spiritual gift. The Holy Spirit Gives the gifts. We don't choose which one/ ones' we'll receive.

The fruits of the spirit are -- love, joy, peace, long suffering, etc.

There is the 'by faith' chapter in Hebrew 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. And the chapter names a lot of men who By Faith did various things.

And there is the verse that says "without faith it is impossible to please God."
05-20-2017, 08:32 AM
(05-12-2017 09:34 PM)Sue D. Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 10:04 AM)Brother Gerald Wrote:  There are different gifts of the Holy Ghost. I wonder which gift has helped you the most, in your life or ministry. While I like them all, while trying to pick one as favorite, I would take Faith because all the others are no good without Faith.

Each person, upon their salvation is given a spiritual gift. The Holy Spirit Gives the gifts. We don't choose which one/ ones' we'll receive.

The fruits of the spirit are -- love, joy, peace, long suffering, etc.

There is the 'by faith' chapter in Hebrew 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. And the chapter names a lot of men who By Faith did various things.

And there is the verse that says "without faith it is impossible to please God."

Thank you Sue for your reply. Yes, there is the fruit of the Spirit, and there are gifts of the Holy Ghost. They differ, yet work together for God's purpose. They helped me to stay with Jesus. Now I know that faith is the best gift of the Holy Ghost because, without faith, nothing else matters. He has worked the gifts of healing, and I like to see folks healed. He has worked the gifts of miracles and I like that too. Discernment of spirit has helped me in the ministry a lot. All the gifts are good, yet it takes faith to receive them, and they all work by faith. Thus Faith is my choice for this one.
05-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Actually -- it's the Holy Spirit rather than Holy Ghost.
05-20-2017, 04:19 PM
(05-20-2017 03:01 PM)Sue D. Wrote:  Actually -- it's the Holy Spirit rather than Holy Ghost.

Today ghost means somebody with a white sheet over his head, going "whooo".

When the KJV translation was made, it meant what spirit means today.
05-20-2017, 08:17 PM
(05-20-2017 04:19 PM)Anglican Wrote:  
(05-20-2017 03:01 PM)Sue D. Wrote:  Actually -- it's the Holy Spirit rather than Holy Ghost.

Yes, you're right.

(when I was growing up - we Did go out for trick or treating -- I dressed up as a ghost in a white sheet -- back all those decades ago - it was considered to be harmless fun and depending on who a persons talks to -- it still is. But as adults we stopped acknowledging Halloween.)
05-23-2017, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 08:50 AM by Brother Gerald.)

While some believe the Holy Spirit and the Holy Ghost are the same, yet the truth is, while the Holy Ghost is a Holy Spirit, there is a Holy Spirit that is not the Holy Ghost. John 7:39 KJV

To the world, what you say is correct, but to God's people, we know the truth. That is just the way the folks who don't know any better way to explain use, and most likely, they don't understand.
05-23-2017, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 09:27 AM by Imprecise Interrupt.)
(05-23-2017 08:38 AM)Brother Gerald Wrote:  

While some believe the Holy Spirit and the Holy Ghost are the same, yet the truth is, while the Holy Ghost is a Holy Spirit, there is a Holy Spirit that is not the Holy Ghost. John 7:39 KJV

Quote:John 7

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

In the Greek the same word is used in both places. Ref The word is pneuma, Strong's G4151. The use of the word ‘Ghost’ in the KJV does not in itself indicate a difference. The KJV compilers preferred the phrase ‘Holy Ghost’ instead of ‘Holy Spirit’.

As to whether the passage intended two different things, we must again look at the Greek. For starters, the word ‘But’ that appears at the beginning of v39 in the KJV is not present in the Greek. The phrase translated as ‘should receive’ in reference to the Spirit is in the Greek emollon lambanein (G3195 and G2983 respectively). This translates as ‘were about to be getting’. That is, the Apostles would shortly (at Pentecost) receive the Holy Ghost. But this would not happen until after Jesus was resurrected and ascended (glorified).

The Spirit and the Holy Ghost are one and the same in this passage, despite the confusion created by the KJV wording.

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
05-23-2017, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 11:02 AM by Sue D..)
(05-23-2017 09:20 AM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  

Quote:John 7

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

In the Greek the same word is used in both places. Ref The word is pneuma, Strong's G4151. The use of the word ‘Ghost’ in the KJV does not in itself indicate a difference. The KJV compilers preferred the phrase ‘Holy Ghost’ instead of ‘Holy Spirit’.

As to whether the passage intended two different things, we must again look at the Greek. For starters, the word ‘But’ that appears at the beginning of v39 in the KJV is not present in the Greek. The phrase translated as ‘should receive’ in reference to the Spirit is in the Greek emollon lambanein (G3195 and G2983 respectively). This translates as ‘were about to be getting’. That is, the Apostles would shortly (at Pentecost) receive the Holy Ghost. But this would not happen until after Jesus was resurrected and ascended (glorified).

The Spirit and the Holy Ghost are one and the same in this passage, despite the confusion created by the KJV wording.

I just looked it up -- Holy Ghost was used in the older KJV but has been changed to Holy Spirit because the useage was different Way back when as compared to now. The 1611 Is a revision from the 1st KJV. Had forgotten about that.

The term 'ghost' refers to the mistaken idea that people's spirits can linger around after the person dies. And that's not Biblical.

And, yes, the Holy Spirit would come at the Day of Pentecost. The wording of that particular verse is sort of 'different'. The KJV vocabulary and wording Can be a bit difficult to understand sometimes. Which is one reason I've gone to NKJV.

To the world, what you say is correct, but to God's people, we know the truth. That is just the way the folks who don't know any better way to explain use, and most likely, they don't understand.

Your comment "but to God's people, we know the truth" unlike the 'world'. The 'truth' is that the term 'Holy Ghost' used to be used Way Back -- but was changed because the useage of 'ghost' has changed. "Ghost' is used to mean the souls of dead people can linger around in shadowy forms -- which isn't Biblical. The soul is either with Christ immediately or in a compartment in Abraham's bosom.

The Holy Spirit didn't actually 'come' to believers permanently until After the Day of Pentecost. There is only one Holy Spirit - part of the trinity.
05-23-2017, 04:11 PM
(05-23-2017 10:50 AM)Sue D. Wrote:  The term 'ghost' refers to the mistaken idea that people's spirits can linger around after the person dies. And that's not Biblical.

While the existence of ghosts is not Biblical, the Apostles seem to have the idea in the back of their heads, to jump out when least expected.

Quote:Mark 6
47 Later that night, the boat was in the middle of the lake, and he was alone on land. 48 He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. Shortly before dawn he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them, 49 but when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought he was a ghost. They cried out, 50 because they all saw him and were terrified.

Luke 24
36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38 He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)