Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What language does god speaks?
11-03-2008, 02:56 PM
What language does god speaks?
does he understand english when we pray? did he invent all languages or humans did? [/align]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
RE: What language does god speaks?
As I understand it, God understands all human languages but no human language can (yet) fully express the covenant between us and God. As we mature, God gives us additional, more accurate covenants.
11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
What language do people that talk in tongues speak? That's my vote for God's native language. This guy thinks so too:
http://www.tbm.org/tongues.htm

Big Grin

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
11-07-2008, 02:02 PM
The common misconception in Protestantism is that when one "spoke in tounges" he is speaking in some intelligible language. This just simply is not true. Paul in his letter to the Corinthians writes about the necessity to interpret tounges so it is obvious that these "tounges" are languages that are not only to be interpreted but also to be understood. "Tounges" would be any human languge not native to the inhabitants of the region.

Ultimately everything comes from God, even human language. He inspired humans to communicate with each-other because He created us to need each-other.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing..."-Darth Vader
11-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Messenger Wrote:As I understand it, God understands all human languages but no human language can (yet) fully express the covenant between us and God. As we mature, God gives us additional, more accurate covenants.

What exactly your basis for these additional, more accurate, covenants?

If God is the one perfect, non-changable, omnipresent, omnipitent, all-knowing being- in fact Being itself-why would God need to "update" us with more accurate "covenants"?

Do you even know the meaning of the word "covenant"?

11-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I think god can speak any language, considering that he made them all,.
11-07-2008, 04:40 PM
The Grey Pilgrim Wrote:What exactly your basis for these additional, more accurate, covenants?

If God is the one perfect, non-changable, omnipresent, omnipitent, all-knowing being- in fact Being itself-why would God need to "update" us with more accurate "covenants"?

A "covenant" is a solemn contract, oath or bond. The word is commonly used to translate a particular Hebrew word in the Bible.

There is one Covenant. It was created when God ordered our creation billions of years ago. No human language can (yet) encompass it. Our sacred scriptures (Torah, Bible, Quran, Book of Mormon, Bhagavad Gita, Dhammapada, etc.) are only imperfect translations for a particular time and culture. As we mature, we get updated covenants that are closer to the original Covenant. That isn't God's failing, it is ours. We aren’t smart enough, our languages aren’t powerful enough. There have been messengers in the past; there will be messengers in the future. We tend to think each one is the last one. We also tend to think that each sacred scripture is The Final Answer which it isn't.
11-09-2008, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2008 05:50 PM by God Rocks.)
I think that language is an imperfect way of communicating. Just think of how often someone says something and even though a listener heard exactly what they said, they misunderstand the meaning of what the person meant. For this reason, I don't think God would speak any one language. He would speak in a way which transmits ideas without the inefficiencies of language.

This makes sense when you think about how in the bible people preaching would often be able to speak to a crowd of people who speak different language yet each would hear it in there own language. God must have been sending the message in a way which trasmitted ideas without actual language. The fact that people heard in their own language would probably be that humans must not be able to comprehend ideas directly without first having them translated into a language they understand so their mind does that for them.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2008, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2008 02:06 PM by The Grey Pilgrim.)
Messenger Wrote:
The Grey Pilgrim Wrote:What exactly your basis for these additional, more accurate, covenants?

A "covenant" is a solemn contract, oath or bond. The word is commonly used to translate a particular Hebrew word in the Bible.

There is one Covenant. It was created when God ordered our creation billions of years ago. No human language can (yet) encompass it. Our sacred scriptures (Torah, Bible, Quran, Book of Mormon, Bhagavad Gita, Dhammapada, etc.) are only imperfect translations for a particular time and culture. As we mature, we get updated covenants that are closer to the original Covenant. That isn't God's failing, it is ours. We aren’t smart enough, our languages aren’t powerful enough. There have been messengers in the past; there will be messengers in the future. We tend to think each one is the last one. We also tend to think that each sacred scripture is The Final Answer which it isn't.

I'm sorry but your definition of "covenant" is a little off. "Covenant" and "oath" can be synominous but neither of them are a contract and the difference is significant.

Contracts are agreements between people for an exchange of goods and services. They take place between men.

Oaths are agreements that can contain a contract between men where the divine is called into witness as a guarantor of the agreement.

A Covenant is not an exchange of goods and services between two parties. A covenant is a sacred act that involes the exchange of people. It is not "what's mine is your's and what's your's is mine" but more accurately "I am your's and you are mine." Hence when God made the universe and placed man within it He formed a "covenant" with man He said "I am your God, and you are My children."

If, say the Bible, is such and "inaccurate translation" then how is it so many historical scholars and archeologists have for centuries used the Bible to help them confirm the historical record?

I believe God can do anything, which includes speaking to His children on a level that they can understand. While the Book my be one of the prime ways of knowing and understanding His will for me I don't put my faith in a book. I put my faith in a God Who I believe loves me and desires my good. Any father will reach up to where his child can't reach in order to give them the gifts he desires for their good.

I believe God is the same; and in that desire will come down to my level, as a Father kneels down, to speak to His children in a way they can understand.

Which "messenger" do we believe? If all the messengers are true then what are we to make of the god who sent them because they all say different things? Does God intend to confuse us?

Or did God send one "Messenger" and all of the other messengers, however well intended they may be, are false messengers?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is Music the language of the gods and angels? Azoth 63 6,479 08-22-2015 02:15 PM
Last Post: RationalMagick
  In Search of the holy language! Starburst 30 2,344 03-06-2014 04:42 PM
Last Post: Starburst
  Extra-Terrestrials/Humans attempt to decode Universal Language lovenifest 84 7,561 10-01-2013 01:44 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  A holy language. Starburst 20 2,295 09-16-2013 01:03 PM
Last Post: Starburst
  The word nonreligious theist and the poetry of the English language ethelwulf 5 848 08-10-2013 05:38 PM
Last Post: ethelwulf
  Wisdom Speaks...Do We Listen? whirlwind 120 10,027 05-02-2011 08:07 AM
Last Post: Pacioli
  How disturbing ! Beware, an adult language sin unhinged ! czechwizard 0 562 11-09-2010 01:51 AM
Last Post: czechwizard
  This speaks to the purpose of the Bible. Greatest I am 6 999 07-07-2010 06:08 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Language- proof of god. B MAN 10 2,220 12-25-2008 12:29 AM
Last Post: Urthred

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)