Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What religion should I choose?
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
What religion should I choose?
Hi all,

recently I discovered this great site and I'm wondering if you can help me with problem I face today. I'm searching for the religion.

I grew up in an agnostic family, so I have not much experience with any kind of religion and I hope you will say where do you see me inSmile Let me elaborate a bit:

-My religion should be as open and as universal as Catholic Church (so hinduism is obviously not a choice for me)

-It should be full of mysticism and personal discovering of God. (I love spirituality of Sufis and Eastern Orthodox for example, but from what I see most of protestant churches reject it)

-It should endorse meditation and Far East technics like Tai Chi. (or at least allow it: I know there are catholic jesuits, and many liberal protestants who practice eastern spiritual growth teachings. But Evangelical or majority of Muslims are opposing it I think)

-As far as social issues are concerned: I don't want to adopt a religion which consider premarital sex as sin. I mean: I agree that marriage is something important and that family is foundation of society, but some Christians and Muslims see premarital sex, even resulting from love, as a sin equal to fornication. Am I right?

-Personally, I consider myself to be a rather conservative person on issues like homosexualism, divorces etc, however social issues are not that important for me- this is spiritual part that is crucial and the belief that anyone can "access" the redemption.

-And finally, I'm not huge fan of Buddhism. I don't want to believe that I disperse one day in emptiness- I want to believe in immortality of human being.

So that's all. I'd be glad for any answers. Really. And sorry for my poor english. I'm not native speaker;]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2010, 05:04 PM
RE: What religion should I choose?
Hi and welcome,

Have you considered agnosticism? Big Grin

I am only half-joking. An agnostic can build his own religion and change it when it does not work right anymore. Yours sounds interesting.

To me one essential of a religion is the Golden Rule - passive form. Don't do to other people what you would not want done to yourself. A second essential is to try to do your share to help people who need and want it. Wrap whatever fancy trim and chrome plating you like on that.
02-22-2010, 06:40 PM
i notice that you are looking for a religion that lines up with your way of thinking , but do you not think it would be better if you thought along the lines of ......What does God require of me ?
02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
That's hard for me to say. I think most people tend to consider the main stream religions, and of these, I have to say I like Hinduism the most. The inclusivity of Hinduism, by the way, is still up for debate. Still, that notion of exclusionism is a bit of a deterrent, I guess, which is too bad. I think Persian Zoroastrianism, my favorite monotheistic faith of all time, would appeal to many people if they actually studied it- but they are not accepting non-Persian converts to my knowledge, despite being so outnumbered by Muslims.

You could look to Abrahamic faiths, in which case you could start by reading the New and Old testaments and deciding which of the many interpretations of them is easiest to defend. Other than that, I don't know. A soft recommendation for virtually all things heathen and ancient is always upon my lips, but I can see that polytheism or animism would probably be unappealing to most people born within an Abrahamic culture. I've discovered a friend of mine who is a Taoist, and one thing your specifications on sex remind me of is the Taoist view of both rigid abstinence and overindulgence as harmful.
02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Welcome, and may the peace of God be with you.

I will be your Muslim priest on this Forum, if you so choose. The best religion will be one that will bring you closer to God, my and your creator. The best religion will be one that will get you a chance of your sincere prayers be heard by All Mighty Loving God.

One way to look at Islam would be to look at all the threads started by me by clicking my name. Feel free to ask any questions.

May God guide you to the Truth.

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Do not affiliate yourself with Religion.
02-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Let me introduce you to a quarterly Muslim publication. In archive section you could go back 50-70 years:

http://www.muslimsunrise.com/

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Samael Aun Weor?

It is I who am you, it is you who are me. wherever you are,I am there. I am sown in all; you collect me from wherever you wish. And when you collect me, it is your own self that you collect.
02-23-2010, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2010 04:38 PM by muslim girl.)
(02-22-2010 06:40 PM)may Wrote:  I notice that you are looking for a religion that lines up with your way of thinking , but do you not think it would be better if you thought along the lines of ......What does God require of me ?
I just agree with him you must search hard to get the truth
Who creates you if you are wondering a bout!
Then when you know the truth the whole truth
You must believe on it
We do not always like the truth but we should do it or we will be evils and hurt other
And for sure you do not want to
You are a good man
If you want any explanation or answer
I am sure that all members will answer you
02-24-2010, 12:32 AM
People asking about what religion should be choose. I don't recommend you my own religion. Because you thing that i am favoring this. First you need to get full knowledge about that religions that you thing better. Then study them and chose best.

I hope you chose only one that is Islam.

Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic Dentist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to choose your religious affiliation kadosh7 10 785 09-11-2013 08:51 AM
Last Post: legend
  How would a person choose the "right" God? Vegeta 27 1,899 10-10-2012 11:21 AM
Last Post: Alison2
  Did you choose your God or inherit him? Greatest I am 15 2,287 09-28-2011 12:04 AM
Last Post: kevlar
  Should parents give their children a chance to choose their own religion? curiousdebator 20 6,439 10-29-2010 11:22 AM
Last Post: Aingeal
  Why do they choose Islam ? mobkem 1 671 12-21-2009 01:27 AM
Last Post: mobkem

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)