Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's the meaning of life?
04-12-2011, 09:00 AM
What's the meaning of life?
What is the meaning of life? what gives life purpose? if your an atheist what is the purpose of living if your not going to "further mankind" and your life isn't centered around a deity? whats really the point of living?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 09:07 AM
RE: What's the meaning of life?
life is a given, the purpose is for you to decide, but simply living to entertain some deity sounds pretty sad.
04-12-2011, 09:08 AM
(04-12-2011 09:00 AM)Ord Wrote:  What is the meaning of life? what gives life purpose? if your an atheist what is the purpose of living if your not going to "further mankind" and your life isn't centered around a deity? whats really the point of living?

Good point, if not to "further mankind" as you said, why live at all if you are not devoting your life to God.

I can see why some atheists would say that they live to 'serve humanity' with their scientific knowledge and research.

I think another question in this is, is there room for a non intellectual atheist?
04-12-2011, 09:08 AM

????????????????
04-12-2011, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 09:10 AM by tantilla oolitica.)
(04-12-2011 09:08 AM)Rivers Wrote:  Good point, if not to "further mankind" as you said, why live at all if you are not devoting your life to God.

I can see why some atheists would say that they live to 'serve humanity' with their scientific knowledge and research.

I think another question in this is, is there room for a non intellectual atheist?

as an atheist, I don't believe in god so is there room for non intellectual theists?
(04-12-2011 09:08 AM)kevlar Wrote:  .....42...

kevlar gets it Cool
04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Good first Post Ord. Welcome to the forum. The meaning and purpose of life is going to be different from person to person. My meaning of life, as opposed to a theist, are going to be drastically different, and very much the same. When you talk about furthering mankind though, this really has nothing to do with belief in a deity. I mean if an atheist comes up with the cure for all known illnesses, and he gives it to the world for free, would that further mankind? Or if an atheist comes up with a way to give power to the whole world without any emissions, or any type of pollution or damage to the earth, and this power source can be used in space travel, and so on, then wouldn't that further mankind? Secular Humanist all over the place, wish to further mankind, without a belief in a deity. However, lets get back to the main question.

What is the purpose in life. Mine personally, until it changes, is to be a good example to my kids, by helping people in need, and being an all around good person, that hopefully my kids will want to emulate. My purpose is to raise them to be independent, so they can live their lives, and help others, and eventually if they choose, to raise their kids the same way. So, to make it short, my purpose is to raise my kids. When they are grown, and if I get to see if I am successful or not, my purpose will change. Might change to help my kids with their kids, or might changed to just helping my wife be happy, or I could selfish and wish to only make myself happy.

All of this has nothing to do with a deity.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
04-12-2011, 09:15 AM
tanti Wrote:as an atheist, I don't believe in god so is there room for non intellectual theists?
shouldn't you be asking is there room for more jesuits?

????????????????
04-12-2011, 09:15 AM
(04-12-2011 09:07 AM)tantilla oolitica Wrote:  life is a given, the purpose is for you to decide, but simply living to entertain some deity sounds pretty sad.

Well how i live my life isn't to simply entertain a deity but to glorify God, the Christian God i believe is the only God.

If life's purpose is for the individual to decide on what basis and standards to we find morals and ethics?
04-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I believe the meaning of life is to grow and experience and learn.
04-12-2011, 09:21 AM
(04-12-2011 09:16 AM)Aingeal Wrote:  I believe the meaning of life is to grow and experience and learn.

to what end? what are you growing from or growing into though?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, ralo 58 3,894 09-14-2016 11:21 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - Jaya Jagannath 7 1,516 10-20-2013 11:04 PM
Last Post: Huitaca

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)