Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's with the 'religions of the world' section?
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
What's with the 'religions of the world' section?
This is in suggestions and feedback because it's about the organization of the site's forums, though it's really intended more as food for thought than anything else.

I'm kind of puzzled by the forums classified as "religions of the world". First, the forum options do not cover all of the religions of the world (an "other" forum would be cool). Second, while I can understand the inclusion of spiritualism given the growing trend of people who choose to identify as "spiritual but not religious", what's with atheism/ agnosticism? Neither category has much bearing upon what religion, if any, one belongs to (much like having a "pork eaters" forum under world indicate all religious views except for mainstream interpretations of Judaism and Islam, an "atheism" forum excludes mainstream interpretations of some religions, but that's about it), so it seems odd that they would be thrown in with various religions.

"Religion is solely the creation of the scholar's study... Religion has no existence apart from the academy."
-JZ Smith, Imagining Religion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
RE: What's with the 'religions of the world' section?
I see nothing wrong with it. Having the Atheist-Agnostic sections seem fine to me. They get to explain what they see is true (or what they see is wrong) amongst each other and amongst ourselves. It's not like another piece of the forum is going to be created just for that. They can discuss the Religions of the World in their part and why they don't work. It's as simple as that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can blog section be used to solicit funds? Sburke 24 2,513 01-24-2016 08:12 AM
Last Post: clarence clutterbuck
  Threads started in wrong section Stereophonic 9 2,451 06-21-2015 11:37 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  Debate section? shiverleaf15 12 1,681 05-02-2013 07:45 AM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Complaint section EqualAtheist 77 7,333 12-23-2012 11:37 AM
Last Post: kevlar
  Another Section/subsection EqualAtheist 1 541 03-13-2011 09:11 PM
Last Post: kevlar
  A Religious Art Section? Zagreus 9 1,767 08-30-2009 01:34 PM
Last Post: Zagreus

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)