Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
When and how will you explain LGBT people to your children?
03-10-2016, 06:33 AM
RE: When and how will you explain LGBT people to your children?
1. This is a question of two parts for me.

The existence of LGBT persons is simple enough; these people exist, there they are. Some people love people of the same sex, some people love people of the opposite, some people love both, some people love neither. What's important is their expression of that love, rather than who they're doing it with. So we ask ourselves is it fair? Is anyone getting hurt? Rather than "they're both wearing skirts!"

Transgenderism is a more complicated topic for me. Discussing the existence of trans individuals is simple enough. Children often probe with their questions however and that's where i'll scratch my head a bit. I don't know how someone "feels" like a boy or a girl. All I know is how I feel, and I just feel like me. So on that front, I can only really discuss the topic with regards to feeling comfortable with oneself.

What I will oppose is ideas concerning certain behaviours or expressions as being suggestive of being transgender. I'm a firm proponent of equality between the sexes and doing away with sexist stereotyping. If my daughter wants to paly with cars and likes rough and tumble, that to me says nothing of her gender, or that "she might actually be gendered male" and I will communicate that view to her. Behaviours are behaviours, historically we gendered them, but in these presumably enlightened times I'd like to think we've moved beyond the whole "boys do this and girls do this" rhetoric.

I add that as a disclaimer because I have read reports on and heard of instances where such "tomboyish" behaviour in girls or "sissiness" in boys is taken as an indicator of possibly being transgendered. To me that's a counterproductive steps because it locks us back into the thinking that "this is for boys and this is for girls and never shall the twain meet". Other than obvious biological function, I am firmly against anyone trying to direct my daughter's activity on the basis of her being female, and seeing herself as female. To me identity and behaviour should not be conflated in this manner. That's why identification of trans individuals should firmly be rooted in questions surrounding how the individual feels in terms of their identity, and should not be inferred simply from whether they engage in stereotypical behaviours or not.

When I was a much younger person I engaged in a fair amount of activities regarded as "girly"- care for animals, collection of jewellery, role play games involving more domestic situations. I never once thought of myself as anything other than male- they were simply what I was interested at in the time. The point is these questions need to be asked of the child in a manner that is non-leading to establish whether their behaviour is motivated by something more complex than "this is fun, I want to do this".

Apologies for the long reply, this is an area for me which is confusing and could be (in my opinion) demonstrative of some of the cognitive dissonances that seem to happily exist within modern liberal thinking, but to question them is seen as a cardinal sin.

2. Irrespective of my above thoughts on the subject, if indeed my child is LGBT and that's what they feel, I will support them no matter what, even if I don't necessarily understand the intricacies of it or how they arrived at that realisation in the case of Trans.

3. As far as the Buddhism I practice goes, LGBT people are not singled out for special hatred. So this is effectively a null question. I'm not the type of parent to widely advertise my views in such a manner anyway, if she asks, she'll find out. My wife didn't even know I was religious until nearly a year after we met following a conversation about souls.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Last night we were watching 'The Walking Dead' and at some point- I forget what even brought it up- I made a comment that I didn't want to see the group's acting doctor (Denise) get killed off or hurt in any way because I liked her and I thought she was pretty. Immediately my 12 year old daughter cracked up and said to my wife, "'Mama, Daddy likes fat gay girls!"

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
03-14-2016, 09:16 PM
When and how will I explain LGBT people to my kids? Probably about the same time and way I explain black people. That is to say, I don't think it needs explanation, and setting aside special providence and specialty explanations furthers segregation and separation. Should raising my children go how I want it to, there will be no need to explain them.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-14-2017, 09:05 PM
(11-16-2015 02:33 AM)AzothWho:87 Wrote:  When and how would you explain LGBT people to your own children?

What will you say to your child if they are any form of LGBT?
What would you do if your religious beliefs caused your child to feel suicidal, unloved, and unaccepted? How would you approach that situation as a parent?

God created all LGBT people so I would tell my kid if you're good enough for God you're good enough for me. And I'm talking from experience since I have a gay child whom I adore and cherish and will support for ever.
03-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Good on ya, man. Seriously.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2017, 05:02 PM

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
03-16-2017, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 06:48 PM by Sue D..)
(03-14-2017 09:05 PM)Sonny Scott Wrote:  
(11-16-2015 02:33 AM)AzothWho:87 Wrote:  When and how would you explain LGBT people to your own children?

What would you do if your religious beliefs caused your child to feel suicidal, unloved, and unaccepted? How would you approach that situation as a parent?

God created all LGBT people so I would tell my kid if you're good enough for God you're good enough for me. And I'm talking from experience since I have a gay child whom I adore and cherish and will support for ever.

God Did create all of us -- yes. I've got 4 grown kids -- the older of the daughters is 40 -- she's been married had 5 children -- one died some years ago and resulted in a divorce -- another marriage ending in divorce. Relationship issues -- I think for a while -- she was leaning towards lesbianism. She would Not talk about it -- she's now with another man. So I've sort of been on the fringes of lesbianism through my daughter. Having shared all that -- if I had the opportunity -- I'd ask a person Why they felt they were homosexual. And in a very calm, loving way. Because I'd really want to know about that part of their psychy. Hopefully they'd be open to talking about it. When kids go through hormonal changes into puberty -- they Are curious about their bodies and how they feel about their sexual changes is important. And a parent never stops loving their kids -- sometimes they make choices that we wouldn't make -- but we don't stop loving them.

The question -- if my religious beliefs caused my child to feel unloved, suicidal, unaccepted? I'd find out what part of those beliefs are creating a problem. I'd try to assure them that God loves them. I'd find out what kids they are running around with. Kids need to feel accepted by their friends. Sometimes kids raised in a liberal perspective Will make fun of those being raised in a more conservative perspective. And kids/ teens Will bully others for no good reason. And since we're talking about religious beliefs -- would I re-evaluate my beliefs and I'm teaching my kids? Possibly - but probably Not. Because those beliefs are important to me or I wouldn't believe them. But -- as stated earlier -- I'd sit down with my child/ teenager and find out exactly what is causing that much of a problem. Something obviously needs changing for my child's / teens sake.

(03-14-2016 09:16 PM)Satyros Wrote:  When and how will I explain LGBT people to my kids? Probably about the same time and way I explain black people. That is to say, I don't think it needs explanation, and setting aside special providence and specialty explanations furthers segregation and separation. Should raising my children go how I want it to, there will be no need to explain them.

Good points -- and, it's sort of like explaining the 'birds and the bees' to children -- it depends on the child -- circumstances -- but always calmly.

There shouldn't be a 'need' to explain 'it'. No matter How people are acting or talking -- there is No reason to make fun of or make smart alec comments about Anyone. It could be that someone standing around you will be using really bad language / acting badly in public that is offensive. If you can walk away from it , do so. If you can't, turn away -- and if your child / teen makes a comment -- then, quietly say that some people just don't know how to act nicely in public.
03-16-2017, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 12:00 AM by ajay0.)

In India amongst the Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains, there is a belief in the soul and its reincarnation in successive bodies. (Reincarnation has also been emphasized by the likes of Dr. Brian Weiss and Dr. Michael Newton in the west through their works showing the possibility through case studies that it can actually be a factual reality. )

So the focus is more on the soul rather than the body, which is seen as a sort of dress which will be replaced by an another dress-body later on, and it is the karmas or actions of the soul in the present which truly matters.

So if the children are LGBT, this can be used to shift their attention from the body to the soul-mind and the karmas or actions that do, and make them make the most of the situation to their advantage and lead normal lives. It can be impressed upon them that they are souls in bodies and not mere bodies, and this can increase their self-esteem and self-confidence better.

In the Hindu epic Mahabharatha, Shikhandi was a transgender warrior and close relative of the pandavas, who was strategically employed by Krishna to slay the enemy commander-in-chief Bheesma .

In Hindu society there also exists a belief that transgenders should not be displeased as this can bring upon bad luck. So they are usually treated courteously and well.

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta Maharaj

Mindfulness is the true virtue. - Buddha

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tolle

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)