Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why I am proud of being a human.
07-02-2011, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2011 12:29 AM by rocketboy9000.)
Why I am proud of being a human.
This is a long one. I may have waxed poetic a bit. It explains my position vis-a-vis god, and humanity's place in the universe: as its master.

The modern theistic God was imagined to have three defining traits: Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnibenevolent. These traits are found by taking the difference between humans and animals, and expanding it to infinity.
Animals have almost no power. They rarely modify their environment, and even then only on a small scale, by moving objects. They only have access to the energy they derive from their food. By contrast, humans have power from fire, electricity, wind, light, and nuclear reactions. Humans modify their environment extensively, with roads, cities, dams, and farms, and can fundamentally alter material structures, resulting in objects with properties never seen in nature, such as transistors, plastics, and electromagnets. Humans take power from everything they set their eyes on, from trees to tides. As humans advance, each advancement gives us more power than ever before.
Animals know almost nothing. They can learn tricks, or a name, but they cannot fathom even the workings of a flint and steel. We humans, on the other hand, continuously learn, and with new knowledge of nature, we create new technology to best nature. The claw and talon, are bested by the flint head of a spear; the flapping bird cannot dream of the heights of space. And with each new capability, comes a new opportunity to see farther, and look deeper, than ever before.
Animals care for nothing but their family, colony, or pack. They act from territorial instinct, without a care for killing another of their species, and then eat the carcass without respect. Humans, on the other hand, have the ability to create social structures which encompass millions, or even billions, of individuals. And we eliminate those who act in primitive ways, and praise those who act in the service of others. These social structures allow knowledge to spread, and allow some to create food, while others create knowledge. From the first city in the ancient fertile crescent, to the great nations of the modern world, our ability to cooperate and help each other is unmatched.
From these things, and the observation that they all increase over time, it is easy to see that the traditional theistic god, in its simplest terms, is merely a reflection, in a shaving mirror, of the traits which make humans different from all other animals.

The natural universe is a dark, uncaring place, and grows worse as we move further from our birthplace. But when the first human took up a torch against the beasts on a moonless night, he became powerful. And when he understood what fire did, and used it well, he became wise. And when the first humans raised a song together, around a fire, they became good, and the first spark lit up the universe in our unique, human glory.
Now, we have seen the cold, wind-swept plains of the south pole in Antarctica, where no beasts roam. We have flown into the stratosphere beyond the speed of sound, where no bird flies. We have even stepped onto the grey dust of the Moon, where no living thing had ever been. And yet, we have not stopped. Even now we gain power, even now our knowledge flourishes, and even now a greater sense of cooperation between nations enfolds the world.

So when I revel in being human, am proud of being human, and say that humans are supreme in the cosmos, I am speaking from evidence. No god has ever proved his power, his wisdom, or his love, like humans do. No god has ever even proved that he exists! So if anything is worthy of worship or glorification, it is not a mere god; only the human race merits exaltation!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2011, 08:52 AM
RE: Why I am proud of being a human.
Well said rocket

????????????????
07-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Hey RB, that's pretty good, detailed and deep. Is it original? Your last paragraph is a good summary.

I do have some comments though:

"And we eliminate those who act in primitive ways" I don't think this is anything to be proud of. Human oppressors have done some crappy things.

"humans are supreme in the cosmos" as far as we know.

"Animals know almost nothing." actually they can be very tactical in what they do and know a lot more compared to trees and rocks Smile

I am proud of what humanity has achieved but I am also wary of what humanity might do with their arrogance towards the earth and nature.

@georgeTmaxwell

The universe exists to think, know and experience.
@PaticleAnimism
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I wrote it as a sort of 'credo'. I can't wait to see what Whitenova says. Probably he'll dismiss it without actually addressing any of the things I said.
07-02-2011, 11:56 AM
(07-02-2011 11:07 AM)rocketboy9000 Wrote:  Yeah, I wrote it as a sort of 'credo'. I can't wait to see what Whitenova says. Probably he'll dismiss it without actually addressing any of the things I said.
You are right.

In another thread I asked if you could say "anthropocentric" -- which is just another way of saying anthropocentrism is foolish.

"By love may He be gotten and holden; but by thought never." (author unknown)
07-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Why are you so afraid of thought whitey?

????????????????
07-02-2011, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2011 01:10 PM by rocketboy9000.)
Why is it foolish? I have proven the power of mankind!
Prove that your god has even as much power as the tiniest flea!
The fact is you can't. You can claim many things as your god's work, but no-one saw him do it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)