Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Why I'm not a Christian and don't feel like I need to be one
Today, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: Today 06:31 PM by Herminator.)
RE: Why I'm not a Christian and don't feel like I need to be one
(Today 11:20 AM)Brother Gerald Wrote:  
(Today 02:14 AM)Herminator Wrote:  
(Yesterday 10:19 PM)Brother Gerald Wrote:  I have seen miracles.

That's called "anecdotal evidence" and has little to no value... can you figure out why for yourself? Wink

(Yesterday 10:19 PM)Brother Gerald Wrote:  Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it is not there. Just like the wind.

It doesn't mean anything is there either. Again the default is there is nothing there, unless one can demonstrate there is.

Why do you keep making arguments even a 6 year old wouldn't for lack of strength?

"God exists because the wind does"
"You can't see god because a talking snake made everything disappear"

Evidently, again I didn't word my reply in a way that you could understand. I was talking Miracles as something he didn't see.

The same goes for "miracles". The default is that the physical laws can't be suspended, so if you want to prove otherwise, you will have to demonstrate it by showing some evidence other than only your words.

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Today, 06:29 PM
(Today 06:03 PM)Satyros Wrote:  A not-so-clever cover. Any other religion is able to provide evidences or explanations for their beliefs, but somehow Christianity always falls back on the "you have to believe to understand, and then you see the proof!" It's lazy.

"I want you to come join my church, but I can't tell you anything about what we do because you wouldn't understand unless you believe whatever it is before we go in."

Not exactly a glowing sales pitch, is it? At least the Jews and Muslims realize you can't- and won't- know everything there is to know before you convert and make sure you understand that before you jump. With this Christian pitch you're being asked to trust your soul to... what? You don't know, and they can't explain it to you because you won't understand because you don't already believe.

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
Today, 06:53 PM
(Today 11:20 AM)Brother Gerald Wrote:  First you said your opinion was that Jesus was not a divine figure. I am speaking of the dispensation of his time in the flesh. Though before that he was the Word, yet this same Word was made flesh. Divine figures are Spiritual. God is a Spirit John 4:24 but Jesus was flesh. In His days of flesh, it wasn't Jesus, but it was what was in Jesus that was good. So you are right in the point of Him not being a divine figure while in the flesh.

I agree with Caesar on a real historical Jesus being only a man. However, in the context of the scriptural story a case can be made for a pre-existing Son of God giving up his divinity by being born human, the having it given back when he is resurrected.

Quote:Philippians 2
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.

8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Quote:Romans 1
1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God— 2 the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures 3 regarding his Son, who as to his earthly life was a descendant of David, 4 and who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.

Started as the divine Son of God, gave up divinity and became human, became the divine Son of God again when he was raised from the dead.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Getting something off your chest always makes you feel better. gavenv 9 629 05-28-2016 08:26 PM
Last Post: Imprecise Interrupt
  How do you feel about the idea of a god or goddess having more than one name? AzothWho:87 5 504 11-06-2015 10:30 PM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  A Christian man is making me feel uncomfortable toothpaste 196 15,236 01-25-2015 12:59 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  What They Don't Tell You Feel Free To Repost starseedleo 20 1,847 12-24-2010 10:59 AM
Last Post: biomystic
  Does any other Christian feel the way I do about this? Anthem 12 1,544 11-02-2010 06:36 AM
Last Post: Anthem
  Why don't Christian leaders issue death threats? dsmw 2 831 05-26-2010 12:01 AM
Last Post: kevlar

User(s) browsing this thread: Imprecise Interrupt, 1 Guest(s)