Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why Jonah?
04-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Why Jonah?
So, Jonah was out to sea, and was thrown overboard by his shipmates, and then was eaten by a fish. Then, the fish pukes him out, and it is a miracle of God. But, why? Why travel by boat? Why eaten by a fish?

The Bible says, "Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights."

It seems the story of Jonah has much to do with the story of Noah and the Ark, but is also considered a "sign" among Christians.

I understand the morals, even where I have not always been quick to submit to God in my own life, but it seems that moral could just as easily be expressed if Jonah had gotten eaten by a lion while on safari or something, so why a sea creature? What is the significance?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2011, 02:14 PM
RE: Why Jonah?
Because the story works if he was swallowed by a baleen whale ie one with no teeth, so he could come out again in one piece - hard to do that if a lion had been chomping him with canines and so forth?
04-14-2011, 02:26 PM
To the Hebrews, the sea or ocean, and the creatures within them, were often used as symbols of Chaos.
04-14-2011, 02:27 PM
My answer's better!
04-14-2011, 02:39 PM
(04-14-2011 02:06 PM)jm44 Wrote:  So, Jonah was out to sea, and was thrown overboard by his shipmates, and then was eaten by a fish. Then, the fish pukes him out, and it is a miracle of God. But, why? Why travel by boat? Why eaten by a fish?

The Bible says, "Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights."

It seems the story of Jonah has much to do with the story of Noah and the Ark, but is also considered a "sign" among Christians.

I understand the morals, even where I have not always been quick to submit to God in my own life, but it seems that moral could just as easily be expressed if Jonah had gotten eaten by a lion while on safari or something, so why a sea creature? What is the significance?

From Got Questions.org:

"As for Jonah’s aquatic experience (which is the crux of the story), while there is no conclusive historical proof that Jonah was ever swallowed by a fish and lived to tell about it, there is some provocative corroboratory evidence. In the 3rd Century B.C., a Babylonian priest/historian named Berosus wrote of a mythical creature named Oannes who, according to Berosus, emerged from the sea to give divine wisdom to men. Scholars generally identify this mysterious fish-man as an avatar of the Babylonian water-god Ea (also known as Enki). The curious thing about Berosus’ account is the name that he used: Oannes.

Berosus wrote in Greek during the Hellenistic Period. Oannes is just a single letter removed from the Greek name Ioannes. Ioannes happens to be one of the two Greek names used interchangeably throughout the Greek New Testament to represent the Hebrew name Yonah (Jonah), which in turn appears to be a moniker for Yohanan (from which we get the English name John). (See John 1:42, 21:15 and Matthew 16:17.) Conversely, both Ioannes and Ionas (the other Greek word for Jonah used in the New Testament) are used interchangeably to represent the Hebrew name Yohanan in the Greek Septuagint, which is the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament. Compare 2 Kings 25:23 and 1 Chronicles 3:24 in the Septuagint with the same passages from the Hebrew Old Testament.

As for the missing “I” in Ioannes, according to Professor Trumbull who claims to have confirmed his information with renowned Assyriologist Dr. Herman V. Hilprecht before writing his own article on the subject, “in the Assyrian inscriptions the J of foreign words becomes I, or disappears altogether; hence Joannes, as the Greek representative of Jona, would appear in Assyrian either as Ioannes or as Oannes.” (Trumbull, ibid., p. 58)"

The "waters" were also in heaven or so the ancients thought of space beyond the vault of the sky. They had complex mythologies about the sun's travel through the Zodiac signs through the year which was counted as having 360 days and the Zodiac correspondingly divided into 360 degrees. But 360 days doesn't make a full year, so there's these "extra" days at the winter solstice where the sun appears to not move a degree every day at sunrise and sunset as it does throughout the rest of the year, hence the mythologies of the sun's travail in the dark "waters" of the winter night as well as the nightly sky where it took a ferryman, a water god from the Sign of Aquarius to help the sun across the waters, a ferryman who piloted an arc like the arc of the crescent moon. A common three day ordeal in the Abyss where the sun god needs to be rescued by someone was the result of the ancient explanation for why the sun appeared not to move from 30 degrees to 33 degrees in its winter solstice period representing many a sun-god's/grain god's death and agony until rescued by the Moon (Isis) or Venus (Ishtar) or God.
04-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Bio you muck up all the stories, what about the little mermaid?

????????????????
04-15-2011, 10:38 AM
(04-15-2011 10:26 AM)kevlar Wrote:  Bio you muck up all the stories, what about the little mermaid?

She's just an amalgam of the ancient Egyptian fishwoman goddess and the Hittite water sprite of the rive, stolen by Judaism and rewarmed as a water badger in the Lakota pantheon.

Sheesh Kev, don't you know anything?
04-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Oh I should have known that, thanks Vis, my primary school teachers will now be disgusted with me, wait they were when I was there, oh never mind.

????????????????
04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
What is the fish God prepared to swallow Jonah? A whale or a literal fish?

Quote:Fish # 1709, from 1711; ~ a fish as in prolific (snip) #1711 to move rapidly; used only as a denom. from 1709, to spawn, i.e. become numerous. - grow.

Psalms 104:25-26 So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts. There go the ships: there is that leviathan, whom thou hast made to play therein.

Ezekiel 30:8-9 And they shall know that I am the LORD, when I have set a fire in Egypt, and when all her helpers shall be destroyed. In that day shall messengers go forth from Me in ships to make the careless Ethiopians afraid, and great pain shall come upon them, as in the day of Egypt: for, lo, it cometh.

Daniel 11:40 And at the time of the end shall the king of the south push at him: and the king of the north shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, and with horsemen, and with many ships; and he shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over.

Could Jonah's fish be a ship such as the one Ezekiel saw? Except Ezekiel's contained God's throne where Jonah's was a USO.

Ezekiel 1:4 And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.

Was the fish a literal fish or one of the ships, one of the rapidly moving ships many see in our skies today?

04-15-2011, 06:13 PM
(04-14-2011 02:14 PM)Visqueen Wrote:  Because the story works if he was swallowed by a baleen whale ie one with no teeth, so he could come out again in one piece - hard to do that if a lion had been chomping him with canines and so forth?

I must admit, I didn't consider that. Of course, I would argue to be ravaged by a lion and still survive is a more exciting miracle.

whirlwind Wrote:What is the fish God prepared to swallow Jonah? A whale or a literal fish?

Most of the time, I think the fish is Pisces, so there is a rich astrological connection there, and I am foolish enough to search the sky-mode of the Google Earth for a galaxy in that constellation to call Jonah. There is one in particular that caught my eye because the program indicated it with a red dot I almost mistook for the planet Mars, but I zoomed in because it was labeled Messier 74. I really can't be certain if that's what the Bible is talking about or not but for a curiosity of black holes.

Because I read somewhere that Jonah means "the dove", and I wonder if that be a description of the picture of the galaxy, else I am reading too much into things?

The Bible does seem incomplete without the proper star charts. But, I am rather inspired by the sight of the galaxy because of how it resembles a hurricane. Chaos indeed, where in the story they are sailing in a storm.

Ezekiel 1:4 And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.

Is Pisces in the north? Or, could "north" really mean something else?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)