Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why are we here?
05-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Why are we here?
I sometimes wonder what the reason is that people are posting on this forum? Spreading their ideas, trying to convert sinners, getting a different perspective, looking for likeminded people? Some have commented already, but I am also interested in those that haven't. Or maybe opinions have changed.

For me, I am not totally sure. I always had a fascination for different beliefsystems and ways of thinking, and I like discussions that help to clarify the differences between these viewpoints. On the other hand I haven't had much inclination to read the Bhagavad Gita, Tanach, Quran or Bible yet. And I am more inclined to read Karen Armstrong's history of the Bible then the Bible itself. Maybe I am just lazy (and Osho says 'don't be lazy!').

Furthermore I also believe that what I think and believe is interesting enough to share. What do you think?

Osho: "Enlightenment means being fully conscious, aware. Ordinarily we are not conscious and not aware. We are doing things either out of habit or out of biological instinct".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2011, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 01:54 PM by StarStuff.)
RE: Why are we here?
I'm here for two reasons.

First, I love debating, no matter the topic. Politics, philosophy, religion, coaching technique, starcraft tactics, smooth peanut butter vs. chunky, you name it. I love debating.

Second, religion provides a unique window into human psychology, history, mythology, sociology, philosophy, even art and linguistics. All of these are subjects I find very fascinating, so of course anything that combines them all interests me greatly.

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
05-05-2011, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2011 05:18 AM by Painkiller.)
1. I've always been passionate about religion (cue Essy telling me that I don't know anything about religion because I don't know that God is real) and have always found myself in places where i can discuss it.
2. It's a nice release-valve after teaching: if a kid in school says "religious people are all stupid because science proves that God isn't real" I have to gently and encouragingly guide them towards understanding the flaws in that. Here I can just call them stupid.
3. It pleases me to post Manowar lyrics and jokes about Judas Priest on a forum about religion.
4. I like almost all of the regular posters and enjoy reading what they have to say.
5. The nutters.
05-05-2011, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 02:30 PM by For the love of god.)
(05-05-2011 02:11 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  If a kid in school says "religious people are all stupid because science proves that God isn't real" I have to gently and encouragingly guide them towards understanding the flaws in that. Here I can just call them stupid.
Nice one, I guess I could take bit more freedom to be impolite. I can see it also helps to keep the discussion lively.
(05-05-2011 01:54 PM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  I'm here for two reasons.

First, I love debating, no matter the topic. Politics, philosophy, religion, coaching technique, starcraft tactics, smooth peanut butter vs. chunky, you name it. I love debating.

Second, religion provides a unique window into human psychology, history, mythology, sociology, philosophy, even art and linguistics. All of these are subjects I find very fascinating, so of course anything that combines them all interests me greatly.
I can relate to this. I enjoy having to look up things, and getting to see some crazy youtube footage every once in a while.

Osho: "Enlightenment means being fully conscious, aware. Ordinarily we are not conscious and not aware. We are doing things either out of habit or out of biological instinct".
05-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I was (mostly) joking there, FTL. I generally try to avoid personal insults on here - if someone's actually debating I'll usually try meet them on their own ground, but if someone's sweeping in and playing the [censored] with the "lol y dont u no the bibble is a lye??!!!1111" the gloves are off.
05-05-2011, 02:36 PM
I didn't mean it in a negative way, I took it as being straightforward to the point of being blunt to make the point clear. Being disrespectful is not needed imo.

05-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Im here to debate whatever comes to mind, share my opinions/experiences, talk to other people with the same ideas, and to just say "you sir are wrong."
05-05-2011, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 04:01 PM by S-word.)
(05-05-2011 02:11 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  1. I've always been passionate about religion (cue Essy telling me that I don't know anything about religion because I don't know that God is real) and have always found myself in places where i can discuss it.
2. It's a nice release-valve after teaching: if a kid in school says "religious people are all stupid because science proves that God isn't real" I have to gently and encouragingly guide them towards understanding the flaws in that. Here I can just call them stupid.
4. It pleases me to post Manowar lyrics and jokes about Judas Priest on a forum about religion.
5. I like almost all of the regular posters and enjoy reading what they have to say.
6. The nutters.

[Painkiller wrote]......(cue Essy telling me that I don't know anything about religion because I don't know that God is real)

You and Arjuna should get together, get him to join the flock of seagulls that you belong to, you know of course that he lies in order to score a point in his debate, he'd fit in nicely.

You lie in saying that I said you know nothing about religion, I don't know how conversant you are with the vodoo religions and other religious cults of the earth, but I do know, and I have told you time and time again that your knowledge of the Bible, and the God who is revealed therein, is terribly limited, which is only to be expected, from someone who can't make up their minds and are too lazy to study the particular subject in any great depth.

[Painkiller wrote]....5. I like almost all of the regular posters and enjoy reading what they have to say.
6. The nutters.

It is quite common for people such as yourself who are ignorant to a particular subject, to refer to those who are conversant with said subject as "Nutters." Much the same as the creationists, who have never studied the theory of evolution with open eyes, who call people such as yourself who believe in the process of evolution, as "NUTTERS."

But then, DO you believe in evolution, or do you sit on the fence with this subject also, and believe that the evolutionist, might be right, or then again they might be wrong, and believe also that the creationists, might be right, but they too, might be wrong, and you have the audacity to call others "NUTTERS."

As to the question put in this thread, "I like the greater majority on this thread, and the greater majority appear to be either atheists or agnostics, have my own agenda, and that is, to attempt to educate those who have problems in deciding whether a God exists or does not exist. Just like the apparent greater majority here, who are attempting to convert others over to their godless belief."
05-05-2011, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 04:07 PM by Yefet.)
I found this sight when I was sick and stuck in the house for several months.
Found some great people with healthy outlooks for the most part which is rare on forums
It was a great way of doing something without doing anything, better than watching television or getting in my wifes way.
Now its like Shabbat Dinner, everyone talking at the same time , no one understands the other, don’t really care what they are saying but its comforting to know that they are there, Like Kevs sense of humor or vis’s common sense or pains diplomacy

Oh yea, I forgot ,nevermind, I am told my real reason is to start and maintain religious wars thru out the world.
05-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Hello,

I came here for basicly 2 reasons.

1. I reading about atheism and arguments for God's existence for about 2 years now and joined this forum to put my views to a critical test and look for some new arguments against God and Religion.

2. I want to show that theism in general and Islam in particular is a viable rational position.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)