Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why bother?
05-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Why bother?
If there is a god why bother worshiping them? If it is a just god they will judge you on how you lived your life. If the god judges you on if you worshiped them then they are a petty god and do not deserve our admiration. So why not just live your life as a good person and forget about religion?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2010, 02:31 PM
RE: Why bother?
(05-15-2010 01:50 PM)Orion Wrote:  If there is a god why bother worshiping them? If it is a just god they will judge you on how you lived your life. If the god judges you on if you worshiped them then they are a petty god and do not deserve our admiration. So why not just live your life as a good person and forget about religion?

Why do you bother calling your parents now and again and letting them know what you think, and how you feel about what's going on in your life? Surely, if they're good parents, they trust you to make good decisions and don't need to communicate with you.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
05-15-2010, 02:40 PM
(05-15-2010 02:31 PM)Clementine Wrote:  
(05-15-2010 01:50 PM)Orion Wrote:  If there is a god why bother worshiping them? If it is a just god they will judge you on how you lived your life. If the god judges you on if you worshiped them then they are a petty god and do not deserve our admiration. So why not just live your life as a good person and forget about religion?

Why do you bother calling your parents now and again and letting them know what you think, and how you feel about what's going on in your life? Surely, if they're good parents, they trust you to make good decisions and don't need to communicate with you.

My parents are not all knowing or all powerful. If they were then there would be little point to call them.
05-15-2010, 02:46 PM
(05-15-2010 02:40 PM)Orion Wrote:  

My parents are not all knowing or all powerful. If they were then there would be little point to call them.

Ah, so you're of the 'it's only a god if it's omniscient and omnipotent' type? You'll be surprised, there are a few here who worship gods who aren't "omnis."

So, basically you're saying that if your parents were omniscient or omnipotent, there wouldn't be any point in spending time with them? Just because I know the rules of chess and know my mother will beat me doesn't stop me enjoying playing chess with her.

Because, while in Vodou, God in pandeistic, the point of worship is to spend time concentrating on Bondye, and filling it in, and communicating with the lwa.

05-15-2010, 03:10 PM
(05-15-2010 02:46 PM)Clementine Wrote:  

Ah, so you're of the 'it's only a god if it's omniscient and omnipotent' type? You'll be surprised, there are a few here who worship gods who aren't "omnis."

So, basically you're saying that if your parents were omniscient or omnipotent, there wouldn't be any point in spending time with them? Just because I know the rules of chess and know my mother will beat me doesn't stop me enjoying playing chess with her.

Because, while in Vodou, God in pandeistic, the point of worship is to spend time concentrating on Bondye, and filling it in, and communicating with the lwa.

If Bondye doesn't care enough to look at the creation then once again, why bother?
05-15-2010, 04:39 PM
(05-15-2010 03:10 PM)Orion Wrote:  
(05-15-2010 02:46 PM)Clementine Wrote:  

If Bondye doesn't care enough to look at the creation then once again, why bother?

Who says he doesn't care? I didn't say that at all. Why bother? Again, why should I bother playing chess with my mother when I know I'm going to lose? Because it's spending time with a parent. It's spending time with someone who cares about you, even if they know everything already, even if they don't get involved in your affairs.

05-15-2010, 07:59 PM
(05-15-2010 04:39 PM)Clementine Wrote:  Who says he doesn't care? I didn't say that at all. Why bother? Again, why should I bother playing chess with my mother when I know I'm going to lose? Because it's spending time with a parent. It's spending time with someone who cares about you, even if they know everything already, even if they don't get involved in your affairs.

I believe GOD is the same as me.. in other words I AM really a colony of trillions of living single celled organisms, MY CONSCIOUS is created by BILLIONS neurons communicating along copper with electricity to each other to create the idea of " I " or " ME ", when in reality it should be "US", but that would indeed drive "ME" insane, lol

And when I cut my arm ( for example ), and millions of my living creatures die, I really do not care, when millions of my living white blood cells die fighting off infection, I really do not care if they died.

I LOVE ME, and my body, and love all of me, and would LOVE to live a long life, but if BILLIONS of my single celled organisms died along the way,

OH WELL, the body/collective is still alive

I believe this is how GOD is, and there are millions of GODS, male, female, good, evil, with feelings, without feelings, etc...

And even though the GOD I talk to LOVES ALL LIFE, and NEVER would KILL or HARM any LIFE, when millions of living organisms die every day, GOD may be more aware and grieve for those, but GOD can not interfere with the LAWS of NATURE, any more then YOU can,

THE GOD'S UNDERSTANDS THE NATURAL CYCLE OF LIFE AND DEATH

So does it matter, YES IT DOES

there are MILLIONS of conscious beings out there, communicating with them, IS ONLY NATURAL...........

we are CURIOUS beings, as I am sure ALL CONSCIOUS BEINGS ARE...

if you WANT anything out of that communication other then the communication itself, then YOUR motives will determine your outcome....

You could technically call what I believe GODS to be - ALIENS.....

but ALIEN = any other life from not from planet earth............

:-)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Because if there is a God and if it is the God of the Christian faith, then he gives the answer in the bible..
05-16-2010, 12:46 AM
(05-16-2010 12:03 AM)Christian_Chris Wrote:  

Because if there is a God and if it is the God of the Christian faith, then he gives the answer in the bible..

the GOD of the Christian faith ??

The Sumerians never called the Anunnaki, 'gods.' They were called din.gir, a two-syllable word. 'Din' meant 'righteous, pure, bright;' 'gir' was a term used to describe a sharp-edged object. As an epithet for the Anunnaki 'dingir' meant 'righteous ones of the bright pointed objects.'

Sumerian texts break up history into two epochs divided by the Great Deluge - the Biblical Flood. After the waters receded the great Anunnaki who decree the fate decided that the gods were too lofty for mankind. The term used - 'elu' in Akkadian - means exactly that: 'Lofty Ones;' from it comes the Babylonian, Assyrian, Hebrew, and Ugaritic El - the term to which the Greeks gave the connotation 'god'.

( EL being the father of YAHWEH, by the way......)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-16-2010, 12:48 AM

Because it's nice to have a big invisible best friend that's going to take care of you. Religion comes with the promise that after this worthless life, the real fun begins. But why should you get off so easy? After all there is no such thing as a free lunch. So once you've spent your whole life on your knees like a serf or slave, after you've sucked your deity dry (take that as you please), you'll be as good as ready to float your soul up to the great gig in the sky where you'll be handsomely rewarded with an endless supply of cocaine and hookers. Notice how it's always the men that gain the benefits Wink

We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)