Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why did God divide the people of Babel?
10-18-2011, 11:52 AM
RE: Why did God divide the people of Babel?
Good question, how high was the tower...would it matter? Seems someone might have been worried about how high it would get before it was realized, you can not build a tower high enough to get to a place that is not where you are told it is. It would be like trying to pull Excalibur out of the lake across the street from my house. I would realize that you are going to try and do it, so I give the wrong directions. To keep you from finding, what is not there.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
(10-18-2011 11:52 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  Good question, how high was the tower...would it matter?
Not if you blatantly ignore the limitations of construction in those days. Big Grin
10-18-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't know how tall it was but in chapter 9 verse 27-28 in the book of Jasher gives you an ideal

27 And when they were building they built themselves a great city and a very high and strong tower; and on account of its height the mortar and bricks did not reach the builders in their ascent to it, until those who went up had completed a full year, and after that, they reached to the builders and gave them the mortar and the bricks; thus was it done daily.

28 And behold these ascended and others descended the whole day; and if a brick should fall from their hands and get broken, they would all weep over it, and if a man fell and died, none of them would look at him.

So it looks like it took a whole year to walk to the top of the tower, that's insane if it's true
10-18-2011, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2011 12:41 PM by Hombre.)
(10-18-2011 12:23 PM)Enoch Wrote:  I don't know how tall it was but in chapter 9 verse 27-28 in the book of Jasher gives you an ideal

27 And when they were building they built themselves a great city and a very high and strong tower; and on account of its height the mortar and bricks did not reach the builders in their ascent to it, until those who went up had completed a full year, and after that, they reached to the builders and gave them the mortar and the bricks; thus was it done daily.

28 And behold these ascended and others descended the whole day; and if a brick should fall from their hands and get broken, they would all weep over it, and if a man fell and died, none of them would look at him.

So it looks like it took a whole year to walk to the top of the tower, that's insane if it's true
It's certainly insane to believe it! There is a limit to the height that you can built a brick and mortar structure you know?
10-18-2011, 12:46 PM
No i didn't know there was a limit, I could only assume that u can only go so high until you start running out of air to breath, not to mention the temp dropping below freezing
10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
(10-18-2011 12:46 PM)Enoch Wrote:  No i didn't know there was a limit, I could only assume that u can only go so high until you start running out of air to breath, not to mention the temp dropping below freezing
Good thing I told you then huh? Rolleyes
10-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Babel was destroyed because the people were of one mind.

1 Peter3 8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

Regards
DL

God is a cosmic consciousness.
Our next evolutionary step.
No choice.
10-18-2011, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2011 01:25 PM by EqualAtheist.)
(10-18-2011 12:06 PM)Hombre Wrote:  
(10-18-2011 11:52 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  Good question, how high was the tower...would it matter?
Not if you blatantly ignore the limitations of construction in those days. Big Grin

Even that does not matter. We have skyscrapers today, that are higher then they would have been able to reach. Yet how many of them are in heaven? All of them are still on Earth. No matter how tall you make the building, it will not reach heaven. Again, you can not get to a place that does not exist.

Urban, that is great about the book of Jasper, but anything from the bible?

10-18-2011, 01:50 PM
The description in the bible doesn't go into detail like the book of Jasher... Genesis chapter 11

GEN 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
GEN 11:2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
GEN 11:3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar.
GEN 11:4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
GEN 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
GEN 11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
GEN 11:7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
GEN 11:8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
GEN 11:9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

No juice details given in this story of babel
10-18-2011, 01:53 PM
So the interpretation of the story in the bible, does not say that men built the tower to replace God. That goes scattered the people and confused the language because? According to the bible?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tower of Babel. People and the Misinterpretation of the meaning of written messages. Azrael17 0 227 04-27-2013 12:19 AM
Last Post: Azrael17
  Serious question from an open-minded atheist: How can 'smart' people believe in God? EJT 255 8,901 05-08-2012 11:21 PM
Last Post: Hypernova

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)