Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why didn't Jesus write his message by himself?
07-03-2008, 04:28 AM
Why didn't Jesus write his message by himself?
I found a really interesting question that I thought would benefit this community. It is a research poll conducted by Dr. Cliff Pickover who is asking: "If Jesus had wanted his Message to spread in an undistorted fashion, why did he not write down his message?"

Take a look, the responses are quite surprising: http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/2030667...is-message
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2008, 08:12 AM
RE: Why didn't Jesus write his message by himself?
It's a good question that has no answer. One can only assume/guess as to why he didn't write his message himself.
07-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, there may not be any definant answers, but we can make some guesses. First of all, I would like to say that from a Christian view, we would believe that Jesus was never asked by God to write his message down, and that everything he did was in line with God's plan.

However, from a Western Scholarly point of view, there are some other answers. One, Jesus may not have been able to write. This would probably have been common at the time (2000 years ago). At the time, only scribes really knew how to write. Two, Jesus may not have intended to form a religion or have anyone worship him. In the book of Mark no one besides demons understands that Jesus is actually the son of God. This is referred to as the Messianic Secret (the secret of the messiah). It is not until half way through the book, after being told numerous times, that the disciples finally understand who Jesus is. From this point of view, it would probably have been a waste of his time to write his message down, because no one really believed him until after his death. Three, Jesus is, in the Christian view, still alive today. In John 20-21 Jesus returns to the earth and speaks with the disciples. From this point of view, Jesus doesnt need to write his message down, because you can ask him yourself. Four, the Bible is considered to be the living world of God. This means that although it was written by men, it was written through divine inspiration. It is a living book. Five, the point of many of the Bible stories is to instruct, not to be historically accurate. Of the Four Gospels, there exist many contradictions, however they are all still considered part of the Bible and correct. How can this be? Because they teach important lessons about life that are in line with God's will.
07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Another explanation, that really is pretty simple, is that he was a rabbi (ie. a teacher). Rabbi's did not write their teachings, they spoke them, as most people could not read the religious books of the Jewish faith. His time of teaching from beginning to death was only three years. The rest of his life he spent as a carpenter/worker.

Asynchronicity
Spiritual Counselor
http://gnosticgnight.blogspot.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-30-2012, 07:45 PM
necro thread warning

It could be, that he did write his teachings down, and his teachings went against what the church wanted people to know, and thus they were not added to the rest.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
06-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Seconded, EA

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
06-30-2012, 08:32 PM
(06-30-2012 07:45 PM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  necro thread warning

It could be, that he did write his teachings down, and his teachings went against what the church wanted people to know, and thus they were not added to the rest.

"Weren't added" could mean that they were burnt and anyone found with his writing was killed.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence - Me
06-30-2012, 09:27 PM
If Jesus could not write or was illiterate he could not have had such an intelligent conversation with the spiritual elders at age 12.
-Luke 2 vs 42-52 By age 12 Jesus already had a well-rounded education in the Hebrew OT Scriptures.

Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, "It is written" and written where but in the Hebrew OT Scriptures.

I am not saying the majority of the world was literate, I am saying those Jewish people were intelligent and literate.
It was Daniel's prophecy [9 vs 25,26] that caused the people to be in expectation [Luke 3 v 15] to look for Messiah at that time frame.

Matthew was a tax collector. Intelligence was needed for that.
Luke was a doctor. Intelligence was needed for that profession.
Even those having a fishing business with employees needed intelligence to be successful at it.
A carpenter needs to know how to calculate math if he wants straight windows and doors. Working farming tools and furniture too.
Cornelius was a centurion that would take intelligence. [ Acts chapter 10]
Lydia was a 'seller of purple' [ Acts 16 v 14] that took intelligence to have such a business.
06-30-2012, 09:33 PM
(06-30-2012 09:27 PM)URAVIP2ME Wrote:  If Jesus could not write or was illiterate he could not have had such an intelligent conversation with the spiritual elders at age 12.

Okay. Where's Jesus' gospel?

Quote:Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, "It is written" and written where but in the Hebrew OT Scriptures.

And why do you think he did that? Because the people who he was talking to likely could not read where it was written.

Quote:Matthew was a tax collector. Intelligence was needed for that.

No, it's not. You go to the towns and you collect the money given. Doesn't mean that he needed to be literate.

Quote:Luke was a doctor. Intelligence was needed for that profession.

This doesn't mean he was literate. I know witchdoctors who are very great medicine men and "doctors," yet can't write a word.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
07-01-2012, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2012 07:19 PM by chucknance.)
(07-03-2008 04:28 AM)rolandd Wrote:  I found a really interesting question that I thought would benefit this community. It is a research poll conducted by Dr. Cliff Pickover who is asking: "If Jesus had wanted his Message to spread in an undistorted fashion, why did he not write down his message?"

Take a look, the responses are quite surprising: http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/2030667...is-message

I believe Jesus was God, not His son. Jesus could have written his "Testimony." However, God preferred to communicate with his chosen people. Mostly, Jesus (God) gave testimony to the truth, which had to do with the Old Testament, his record with his chosen people. Because he came to "set the record straight," he encountered opposition, hostility, and ultimately murder.

Jesus did not intend to start a new religion to oppose Judaism. What followed was a rewriting of what really happened. To gain a clear understanding of the falsity of Christianity in the wake of the tragic murder of God (Jesus), I suggest you read to works of Bart D. Ehrman, an exceptionally brilliant biblical historian. Most scholarly sources support the idea that the gospels and Paul are replete with errors, and do not represent the true story of Jesus.

The Jews rejected God. But that doesn't mean gentiles are superior or have taken any thing away from them. It just means humans, represented by Israel, have rejected God.

However, we must be careful in our analysis of God and his chosen people. God made promises to Abraham which He'll keep. It's God's character to keep His promises. God's prophets echoed those promises. Today, Israel is material evidence of God's promises. No nation, no terrorist group, or any other force of the world will destroy Israel. Jews, not Christians are God's chosen people. God promised them land, and that's what they have.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "It's a book. Anyone can write one, if they can write." rocketboy9000 33 2,780 03-01-2012 10:44 PM
Last Post: Here2Chill
  Jesus didn't go flying. The Word 2 630 09-08-2010 07:02 AM
Last Post: The Word

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)