Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do you believe there is a God(s)?
07-01-2013, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2013 01:46 AM by Zeo.)
Why do you believe there is a God(s)?
A) Why do you believe that there is a God or gods?
B) What kind of God is it?
C) What if aliens visited us in our past and with their advance technology appeared as gods (where religion came from)? Would that change what you believe?
D) Do you believe that we our God's chosen children; can other species exist in the universe or did he create it solely for us?
E) Could God be an engine for existence, sort of like the sun, or is God a being with magical powers?

Please PM me if you want to have a conversation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2013, 04:19 AM
RE: Why do you believe there is a God(s)?
(07-01-2013 01:46 AM)Zeo Wrote:  A) Why do you believe that there is a God or gods?
C) What if aliens visited us in our past and with their advance technology appeared as gods (where religion came from)? Would that change what you believe?
D) Do you believe that we our God's chosen children; can other species exist in the universe or did he create it solely for us?
E) Could God be an engine for existence, sort of like the sun, or is God a being with magical powers?

A) As of present, personal experience.
B) The LDS conception of the Abrahamic god.
C) Not really.
D) I believe as part of my doctrine that God has in fact created numerous worlds inhabited by numerous creatures, and that some of these include his children, even as we are his children. I imagine they look just like us, because we are made in God's physical image according to my beliefs, and so would they. I know the odds according to secular Darwinism would be small for "humans" to appear on tons of other worlds out there just like here, but...it's what I believe based on what my religious scriptures teach.
E) My God is very much a "being with magical powers", and very much not an "engine for existence", if by "engine for existence" you mean an abstract non-living entity rather than the intelligent omnipotent and omniscient soul I believe in.
07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
A: Because I have experienced my god first hand.
B: She is limitless and in reality formless but for us to perceive her she makes herself known in a form we can understand. We are not to worship those forms she takes but only her. She is both genders and all powerful, she is the All-Fire.
C: ???
D: It is possible and God would have created them too.
E: I am not sure what you are trying to say. My god is all and she has a mind she is formless yet has a body.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
(07-01-2013 10:43 AM)Azrael17 Wrote:  A: Because I have experienced my god first hand.
B: She is limitless and in reality formless but for us to perceive her she makes herself known in a form we can understand. We are not to worship those forms she takes but only her. She is both genders and all powerful, she is the All-Fire.
C: ???
D: It is possible and God would have created them too.
E: I am not sure what you are trying to say. My god is all and she has a mind she is formless yet has a body.

A) What experience would that be?
B) Why do most people have different beliefs? / Why did God choose to show herself to you?
C) What rules does she have?
D) How do you know everything you claim to be true?
07-02-2013, 07:07 AM
(07-01-2013 01:46 AM)Zeo Wrote:  A) Why do you believe that there is a God or gods?

Answer to A: I believe that there is a God, just one God, because I have faith in Him. He has answered my prayers numerous times and I just don't see how the universe could exist without God creating it.

Answer to B: God is a Trinitarian God. He is one God is three divine persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Answer to C: It would not change what I believe.

Answer to D: I personally believe that there is no other intelligent life within the universe. I do believe that human beings are God's chosen children. As far as aliens or other intelligent life in the universe, I'll believe when we have proof of their existence.

Answer to E: God is not an engine. He is a supernatural being who is intelligent and therefore has supernatural powers.
07-03-2013, 09:28 PM

A) I personally don't believe that God was meant to work on "sight" or "proof." It all comes down to faith. And I have that Faith in God. That's the way I was raised, and I've had very close experiences to me that give me the evidence that I desire. I don't need more than that. If I get to the end of this life and find out that there is no God, that's fine by me. I'd rather live my entire life believing there's a God and find out that there isn't, than live thinking there isn't and find out that there is.

B) What kind of God is it? I believe that we're made after His likeness. I believe that he has a body of flesh and bone just like us.

C) Well that's just stupid.

D) I believe that we are God's children and that He loves us. And sure, why not? There might be more people out there like us. I feel like the universe is a pretty big place. Why all that space for nothing? I believe there are more people out there than just us.

E) I believe that this "engine" that you talk about is the Holy Ghost. The Spirit. That resides with each one of us.

How's that for answers?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2013, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the great questions Zeo!

As to "why" I believe in God.... I guess one reason is that over my life I've studied Holy Books of various religions and see the oneness of the spiritual realities in all of them.

God cannot be described in language.. The essence of God is unknowable to man...however we see His attributes everywhere around us.

Aliens visiting the earth would not change my beliefs.. we may well the aliens ourselves! In my belief there are intelligent sentient beings in the universe...and man is not restricted to this world.

So God's creation is not limited to this earth...

As above the essence of God is unknown to us...God has been compared to the sun:

"No sooner had He, Who is the Sun of Truth, been made manifest, than, lo, all turned away from Him, except them whom God was pleased to guide."

~ Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 9

"The dawn of the Sun of Reality is assuredly for the illumination of the world and for the manifestation of mercy."

~ Abdu'l-Baha

"All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."
07-05-2013, 09:24 AM
A) because its obvice
B) our lord
C) no such thing as aliens
D) yes
E) god is like a man thats really powerful. Its hard to discribe but thats the basics of it.
07-05-2013, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 06:10 PM by Painkiller.)
Sorry Socks, but I don't think that the ultimate nature of reality and the Universe is "obvice" at all. You believe that you have good reason to think that a very specific definition of "God" exists, but lots of us don't think we do have those reasons. Either we're lying, or stupid, or maybe it's more complicated and less obvious than you think.
Also, how could the God you believe in be anything like a man? A being of infinite power and limitless knowledge that exists both outside time and space AND in everything? That being shares no ontological properties in common with a man.
07-05-2013, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 07:33 PM by shiverleaf15.)
@Pain: My God is most certainly both a being of infinite power and limitless knowledge who is also a "man". I don't speak of Jesus, but God the Father.

That's just me as a Mormon though, most Christians don't believe that.

The way I would explain it is by first removing the "omnipresent" idea that God's very underlying reality, his "soul" if you will, is everywhere. I believe his soul's influence is everywhere, and that is to me virtual omnipresence, rather than practical Pantheism or Panentheism.

His underlying identity can then put on top of itself a tabernacle of flesh and bone, and this we can perceive as his "body", if he were to show his body unto us.

That isn't the same as beholding the fullness of his underlying identity, which is omnipotent and omniscient.

Compare it to how you can see a human on a daily basis: we visually may see his body, but we aren't "seeing" his soul, mind, identity, self, consciousness, etc. If we could "see" it (rather "behold" or "comprehend" it) it would be as if our mind had overlapped with their mind, and we could comprehend the universe exactly from their soul's point of view, with all the knowledge, perception, etc accompanying it.

So while I believe prophets can see God the Father's body, and have seen it, I don't believe any of them have actually "beheld" his underlying reality. Being omnipotent and omniscient, to behold it would require equal omnipotence and omniscience. That's why I don't think prophets can behold God in that sense.

As for space and time: as a philosopher I believe that space and time exist in-of-themselves and can not be warped, bent, etc, or else bypassed. Rather, displacement within space can approach such things as what to us would seem like teleportation, while the perception of time can become one such that to God a thousand years may seem like a day, or the snap of a finger. But time and space exist still, it's just there's no laws preventing God to travel faster than lightspeed (at the "speed of thought" if you will), nor from God experiencing time faster or slower than us at his very whim.

And to add, as a Mormon I don't believe in ex nihilo creation, nor annihilationism. I believe in the eternal existence of all "things", i.e. noumena as I would define them, and "creation" to Mormons means organization under intelligent administration, organization of already-existant substance, etc. Hence I have no problem believing that God didn't "create" space and time: he merely "organizes" how he or his creations can experience either of the two, rather than snap his fingers and "invent" space or time ex nihilo.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)