Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Why hindu worship to idol ?
08-29-2009, 10:52 AM

idol is only stone nothing else

idol can fall and break into pieces so why hindu worship the idol ?????????????????????????
Find all posts by this user
08-29-2009, 11:05 AM
RE: Why hindu worship to idol ?
This reads like a bad parody of a calypso song. Still, at least it's understandable more or less.

I'm not sure there are any active Hindus on the forum (though it would be neat if there were.) So let me ask instead - Why do you worship Allah? Allah is only a myth, invented by men to explain things they did not understand. Allah can be disproven through simple philosophy, as can all deities who are simultaneously all-powerful, all-knowing, and supposedly good.

So why do you worship Allah?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-07-2009, 12:17 AM
it a kind of beleve for us to god

[img]http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/hindu.jpg[/img]
09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Alright, I know no one is reading this thread, but the school teacher in me won't let me leave this.

It is not an 'idol', it is a 'murti'. Now it is true that it is originally just stone, etc, and that it can break. However, once it is finished it is blessed, and the divine is invoked into it. From this time, it is believed that the divine resides in the murti. So a murti depicting Ganesh is believed to actually have god within it, and so Ganesh is worshipped when that murti is worshipped. This is why the murtis are 'woken up' in the morning, and 'put to bed' at night. Cool, eh?

Now to compare this idea to other religions. Why do, for example, Muslims treat a copy of the Qur'an in the way that they do? It is only a book. It can be burnt, etc. Yet Muslims never put it on the floor, shouldn't leave it open unless they are reading it, and store it high up. Why is a book so revered? It contains the words of God. Well, Hindus believe that the murti contains the presence God.

This is why my statues are dusted regularly (don't let the murti get dirty! Sadly not my own joke...) and my copies of Holy books are stored on top of my bookshelf by the ceiling. They are important because we make them important.

*Turns PowerPoint off, and asks class to stand behind their chairs and wait to be dismissed*
09-14-2009, 12:10 PM
An important aspect of the 'murti' (thanks for the word, Zagreus) is the symbolism of its attributes. Here is an article on Ganesha which includes lengthy explanations of the symbolisms involved in the 'elephant headed god', actually a much more complex entity, both physically and spiritually.

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/ganesha.htm
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, you're right Parousia, the symbols are very important. As I said in another thread, the gods of Hinduism are apects of Brahman, to help us understand 'God'. Hinduism has had a long time to develop these symbols, and some of them lead to quite complex theological ideas.

One of my favourites of Ganesh is the elephant goad, to poke his worshippers in the bum and get them moving along! Brilliant.
12-22-2009, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2009 02:00 PM by wisdom007.)
@ Topic ...Bigotry at its Worst .......

Vedas attach importance to ‘ishtdevta upasana’ or the worship of a chosen deity. And so Hindu temples have the idols of Rama, Krishna, and Shiva among others, for worship. These are not mere idols; they symbolize our ideals. Every idol represents an ideal.’Through ‘upasana’ a devotee develops deep love for his or her chosen form of the Lord.

Hinduism is widely perceived to be a polytheistic religion. The Upanishads clearly point out that there is only one God, one Truth. The different forms of Hindu gods and goddesses represent one God – His powers are expressed in different ways. This way, people can worship the form of their choice.

some people conceive of God as master or ruler, while others think of God as the divine mother.

The use of symbols in worship are meant for making the mind single pointed whereby we gain the very same qualities of the ideal we revere.

The need for religious symbols depends upon the individual. Symbols are used even today in high level management courses, where the method of instruction is primarily through visual means of graphs, charts, videos and slide-shows.

If the mind of the individual is subtle enough to understand a principle or a concept directly, he does not need the help of a symbol.
Quote:idol is only stone nothing else

its in ur mind u can think as a stone or u can see with devotion....

Then what about Kaaba The Black Stone which worshiped by Muslim around the world at Mecca.

[Image: blackstone2.jpg]

[Image: _42553621_mashaalap416.jpg]

Which was once Shiva Linga Shiv Emblem

The term Kaba itself is a corruption of the Sanskrit word Gabha (Garbha + Graha) which means Sanctum.

Check out that Muslim(extreme right) in the white Veshti (dhoti) and angavastram(upper garment) worn in the traditional Hindu style.
Vedic Influence of past arabia can still see there...u can google it for more details ...

http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&rlz...ba&spell=1
Haram Al Haram Kaaba-Hindu Shiva Temple Garbhagriha Black Stone Shivalinga More similarities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRx3Fe3wzyY

Ganga jal water changed to zam zam water ...

And another fact that all Muslims pray towards the Kaaba where ever they live in earth...is not this another type of idol worship ?

Known.... is drop...Unknown... is an ocean.. || Om Namah Shivaya ||
04-19-2010, 08:08 PM
(08-29-2009 11:05 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  This reads like a bad parody of a calypso song. Still, at least it's understandable more or less.

I'm not sure there are any active Hindus on the forum (though it would be neat if there were.) So let me ask instead - Why do you worship Allah? Allah is only a myth, invented by men to explain things they did not understand. Allah can be disproven through simple philosophy, as can all deities who are simultaneously all-powerful, all-knowing, and supposedly good.

So why do you worship Allah?

Because its the TRUE RELIGION OF GOD (Allah)
Islam is now the most biggest religion. Why? Because people realize that its true. Why do you think Jesus Christ is GOD? He isn't he died. It says in the bible do not drink alchemy, and don't eat pork why do you guys eat it?
Because Your GOD is a myth if it wasn't we wouldn't see anyone drinking alcohol and eating pork.
04-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Plenty of Muslims drink alcohol, so I guess there would still people who drink alcohol

????????????????
04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
(04-20-2010 08:26 AM)kevlar Wrote:  Plenty of Muslims drink alcohol, so I guess there would still people who drink alcohol
Muslims don't drink alcohol.... Its because they don't pray but majority don't
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)